Today in Trump's 1st term as President

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

philbo
Banned
Posts in topic: 149

Re: Today in Trump's new term as President

Post by philbo »

In Ruling Against Trump, Judge Defines Anticorruption Clauses in Constitution for First Time. He ruled that the lawsuit should proceed to the evidence-gathering stage, which could clear the way for an examination of financial records that the president has consistently refused to disclose.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/25/us/p ... wsuit.html

BBYC
Posts in topic: 28

Post by BBYC »

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2018/07/2 ... tdown-Back
Given the House’s scheduled August recess, Congress now has less than two weeks’ worth of legislative days to pass spending bills to avoid another government shutdown on October 1.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

rotor
Posts in topic: 68

Post by rotor »

philbo wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 am In Ruling Against Trump, Judge Defines Anticorruption Clauses in Constitution for First Time. He ruled that the lawsuit should proceed to the evidence-gathering stage, which could clear the way for an examination of financial records that the president has consistently refused to disclose.
You make it sound like a crime that he hasn't shown his tax returns. No law requires this disclosure. Congress can pass one if they think it is important. Perhaps Congress will show their tax returns as well. Amazing how people come into Congress broke and leave multi-millionaires. At least Trump came in with money and bragged about it not like Romney who was ashamed of his wealth.

philbo
Banned

Post by philbo »

Cohen says Trump approved Trump Tower meeting with Russians in June 2016.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/ ... ans-745123

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1534

Post by philip964 »

BBYC
Posts in topic: 28

Post by BBYC »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 838992002/
An Oregon high student who was disciplined by school officials for wearing a T-shirt in support of President Donald Trump's border wall settled his lawsuit against the school district for $25,000
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

dale blanker
Banned
Posts in topic: 156

Post by dale blanker »

rotor wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:46 pm
philbo wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 am In Ruling Against Trump, Judge Defines Anticorruption Clauses in Constitution for First Time. He ruled that the lawsuit should proceed to the evidence-gathering stage, which could clear the way for an examination of financial records that the president has consistently refused to disclose.
You make it sound like a crime that he hasn't shown his tax returns. No law requires this disclosure. Congress can pass one if they think it is important. Perhaps Congress will show their tax returns as well. Amazing how people come into Congress broke and leave multi-millionaires. At least Trump came in with money and bragged about it not like Romney who was ashamed of his wealth.
Shouldn't we be interested in the financial obligations, income, investments, and charitable support of all elected and appointed officials??? Shouldn't the president fulfill his promise to provide his tax return when his "audit" was over??? Where's the transparency??? :confused5
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 173

Post by Bitter Clinger »

dale blanker wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:28 pm
Shouldn't we be interested in the financial obligations, income, investments, and charitable support of all elected and appointed officials??? Shouldn't the president fulfill his promise to provide his tax return when his "audit" was over??? Where's the transparency??? :confused5
Yep, I sure am glad that "Loopy" Valdez paid off her overdue back taxes once that issue came to light.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

rotor

Post by rotor »

dale blanker wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:28 pm
Congress writes the requirements for what financial interests must be shown for those running for office. If you have ever viewed one you know that they are very broad and not crystal clear. Releasing tax returns can give other business an inside look and advantage over ones business in the real world. I don't think any official running for any office is required to release their tax returns. Trump was elected without releasing his returns and I ran for a minor office myself once and if I were required to release my tax return I wouldn't have run. I lost anyway. Coke doesn't release their formula either, only list ingredients required by law. So what's your argument? Even at my income level my returns are done by an accountant and I sign the stupid things but don't understand them.

dale blanker
Banned
Posts in topic: 156

Post by dale blanker »

rotor wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:55 pm
dale blanker wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:28 pm Shouldn't we be interested in the financial obligations, income, investments, and charitable support of all elected and appointed officials??? Shouldn't the president fulfill his promise to provide his tax return when his "audit" was over??? Where's the transparency??? :confused5
Congress writes the requirements for what financial interests must be shown for those running for office. If you have ever viewed one you know that they are very broad and not crystal clear. Releasing tax returns can give other business an inside look and advantage over ones business in the real world. I don't think any official running for any office is required to release their tax returns. Trump was elected without releasing his returns and I ran for a minor office myself once and if I were required to release my tax return I wouldn't have run. I lost anyway. Coke doesn't release their formula either, only list ingredients required by law. So what's your argument? Even at my income level my returns are done by an accountant and I sign the stupid things but don't understand them.
Note that I was raising questions above, not quoting or proposing law but it's hard to imagine that trade secrets can be surmised from one's tax returns. In the case of the president, it's all in "The Art Of The Deal" anyway. By the way, prospective citizens are required to provide at their naturalization interview, among other documents, copies of their tax returns for the past five years (or three years if they are married to a U.S. citizen).
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 91

Post by TreyHouston »

dale blanker wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:48 pm
dale blanker wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:28 pm Shouldn't we be interested in the financial obligations, income, investments, and charitable support of all elected and appointed officials??? Shouldn't the president fulfill his promise to provide his tax return when his "audit" was over??? Where's the transparency??? :confused5
Note that I was raising questions above, not quoting or proposing law but it's hard to imagine that trade secrets can be surmised from one's tax returns. In the case of the president, it's all in "The Art Of The Deal" anyway. By the way, prospective citizens are required to provide at their naturalization interview, among other documents, copies of their tax returns for the past five years (or three years if they are married to a U.S. citizen).
I would love to see the Clinton foundation records :biggrinjester:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

rotor

Post by rotor »

dale blanker wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:48 pm
And your point is? Running for elective office does not require release of your tax return. Period! I am sure you can find something else to harp on.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 25

Post by Liberty »

dale blanker wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:48 pm By the way, prospective citizens are required to provide at their naturalization interview, among other documents, copies of their tax returns for the past five years (or three years if they are married to a U.S. citizen).
The difference is the prospective citizens won't have their private information made available to the whole world.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

philbo
Banned

Post by philbo »

Every president since Nixon has released their tax return. The reason Nixon did so (and this tradition began) was to provide transparency and quell questions that existed as to whether he had violated the tax code, and if so could the IRS be trusted to investigate a person independently when that person was their boss. Such transparency has been instrumental for persons in power to quickly quiet questions for ethics violations, or in this case a violation of the emoluments clause of the constitution. While no law requires trump to release his returns, there is no law that prevents his doing so... something trump has stated on numerous occasions. The problem is that by refusing to provide transparency, trump provides ammunition for his opponents to attack as they are now doing. Has trump violated the emoluments clause? Perhaps not, but a more savvy politician wouldn't allow such claims to grow to the distractions they obviously are. In this case, trump has created the conditions for his own misery.... but that may well define his entire presidency so far.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1534

Post by philip964 »

https://www.wral.com/new-york-times-pub ... /17732980/

Slow day for President Trump. New York Times publisher objects to Trump's war on the fake news.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/0 ... upporters/

Ignores real war against Trump supporters.

Here is my favorite editorial from The Washington Post - Donald Trump's chances of winning are approaching zero.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... d6e28c72c5

If you blame Russia for winning, really you should blame the press. How many people who wanted Hillary to win didn't bother to vote because she had already won weeks before the election was held?
Last edited by philip964 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Off-Topic”