GSD or Belgian Malinois Breeders?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TheCytochromeC
Posts in topic: 1

GSD or Belgian Malinois Breeders?

Post by TheCytochromeC »

I'm thinking of getting a GSD of BM in a year of so. I understand the commitment required for the breeds. I've thought this out for a few years and I think I will be ready to commit to one by spring next year. I thought I'd check here for personal experiences with their GSD, BM and a reference for a good breeder.

jkurtz
Posts in topic: 3

Re: GSD or Belgian Malinois Breeders?

Post by jkurtz »

I have a BM. Very intelligent dog, sometimes too smart for his own good. He basically knows what behaviors I tolerate versus what my girlfriend tolerates and acts accordingly depending on who is around. He is also very obedient. Sometimes he can get a bit hyper if he isn't exercised enough, but nothing too crazy and he has never been destructive of anything that is not his own. We also have a Yorkie and a cat, which he gets along with very well, though the cat doesn't really care for him. Toys can get pretty expensive since the only ones that seem to last are the solid rubber ones.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If you are interested in a rescue dog, there should be a shelter in or near Dallas. Here's a link to the one in Houston. http://www.ghgsdr.org/

Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

We got a pure bred 3 year old German Shepherd from Canyon Lake Animal Shelter Society. It took us about a year to finally get him. He is one of the best dogs I've ever owned. I would keep an eye on their website. http://www.canyonlakeanimalshelter.com

Just be ready to sweep and vacuum often and regularly. LOL
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

mojo84 wrote:Just be ready to sweep and vacuum often and regularly. LOL
I ended up buying a Roomba.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

jkurtz wrote:
I'm looking at them. Are you happy with it?

The trouble is well it.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

They take a big commitment for a number of years. I have a Belgian Malinois he's close to being a year old, we got him from the pound. His name is Titus and he is really high energy. He likes to tear up bags that you leave around the fence and just about anything he can rip. If you don't have the time to commit to at least 1-2 daily walks and play time I don't suggest getting one. Mine is more than likely mixed with another dog, but again he is very high energy and playful. I enjoy having him around and I know he will be a good guard dog when he finally get's it. He's extremely fast and thinks it's fun when we chase him around the yard. I advise having a good sized yard for playtime. I do not have a reference for a breeder but I am sure some others will. I definitely recommend either one if you have the time to give them.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:If you are interested in a rescue dog, there should be a shelter in or near Dallas. Here's a link to the one in Houston. http://www.ghgsdr.org/

Chas.
DFW German Shepherd Rescue
http://www.dfwgermanshepherdrescue.org/
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

karder

Post by karder »

Both GSDs and BMs are fantastic dogs. They are quite different in their behaviors however. I buddy of mine who is a K9 officer and works a Belgian Malinois, describes BMs as a German Shepherd after chugging a case of Red Bull!. BMs are fantastic working dogs for police or military because they have so much energy and drive but the downside of that is they need to be working or at least heavily exercised and mentally stimulated. Shepherds are also high energy and need lots of exercise and attention, but they are down a couple of notches from the Belgian Malinois. I love German Shepherds (I have two) but I don't think I have the energy to wear out a Belgian Malinois anymore!
I will echo what Mr. Cotton said. Please consider visiting your local shelter. There are some special pups there who would sure appreciate a permanent home. Often times purebred shepherds are available at the shelter, left there by someone who did not understand that puppies grow up. Good luck with your search! :tiphat:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

We got our current GSD from http://www.dfwgermanshepherdrescue.org/ a few years ago. She has been one of the best dogs that has ever owned me :shock:

I have had GSD most of my life in conjunction with other breeds. As long as they are properly introduced to not only any other dogs in the house but other family members as well, you will be good to go.

Funny little story about "Queenie" which was my first GSD after I got married. We lived on a 2 acre fenced lot in the north west area of Harris County at the time. Queenie always stayed outside when we were not at home even though she had access to the house. She would always greet us when we opened the gate and drove in but never wander far from the house. One night we came home and she was nowhere to be found. We called but she wouldn't come. We had a bar between the living room and kitchen and off of the kitchen was a breakfast nook with a patio door to the back yard. As I went in I noticed the patio door was shattered. I went back to the car and grabbed my pistol, told my wife to go to the neighbors and call the police. BTW, this was the early 70's and cell phones were a futuristic idea. As I went back inside, I glanced over the bar and there was Queenie. All I could see was her head and face but believe me, she was smiling. As I walked around the bar I saw that she was sitting on a guy that was bleeding pretty badly. As he saw me he pleaded to please call the law but get that dog off of him. Well I let her sit on him until the police arrived and hauled him away. After they were gon, I cooked her a nice sized steak.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

jkurtz wrote:
My Malinois stays outside because he constantly sheds. My wife hates it.

Only time he comes inside is if it's below freezing and he's in a kennel.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

My wife and daughter would make me sleep outside before they would our GSD.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

My wife looks longingly at German Shepherds. She and her daughter had one long before I came on the scene. Once the current elderly dog and cat are gone there is probably a GSD in our future.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

mojo84 wrote:My wife and daughter would make me sleep outside before they would our GSD.

:iagree: , Thats how it is at my house. I own the house but the dogs allow me to stay there :smilelol5:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

ShepherdTX

Post by ShepherdTX »

Got my GSD pup last year from Heritage Hills German Shepherds http://heritagehillsgermanshepherds.com/
They are two brothers (both LEOs) who each breed their females as a hobby.

I can't say enough good things about them or the pup I got from them.
Wonderfully solid personality with an off the charts prey drive so it's been easy mode to train him.
13754563_10210176655753276_8878379291149376342_n.jpg
Last edited by ShepherdTX on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Off-Topic”