Need a good cowboy hat

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need a good cowboy hat

Post by RossA »

American Hats. And by the way, don't be misled by the number of XXX"s on the sweatband. Unlike things such as caliber, horsepower, or other measurements, there is no industry wide standard for grading the number of X's on a hat. Each manufacturer grades his own hats. A 3X from one manufacturer may be very similar in quality and composition as a 10X from another.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I bought a nice straw hat, and finally found one that fit my head.

But having been brought by my grandmother who was a stickler for not wearing hats inside, I rarely wear the hat because I would get to wear it from the truck to the door.

KLB

Post by KLB »

In San Antonio, it's Paris Hatter's downtown.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

If you are within 30 minutes of Garland, by all means go to the Resistol Factory Outlet. Over the years I have bought 4 or 5 hats there. The prices are not bargain basement, but cheaper than you will find a Stetson or Resistol at places like Cavendars. They have a guy there who will do a brim cut-down if you want (I personally wear a 3 1/2 inch brim) and shape for you. Allegedly these are factory seconds, but on most it is quite difficult to find the flaw. The sweat band will have a small circular hole indicating a factory second.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

Ask the closest farmers or ranch hands where they go for boots. Usually, that's either a real western wear store (possibly with boot, hat and saddle sales and service) or at least a boot maker who will know where the best hats can be found.

mescobar_rpls

Post by mescobar_rpls »

If you are in Georgetown any time soon, check out Nathaniel's Master Hat Maker.
http://www.nathanielsofcolorado.com

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cmgee67 »

What does a decent hat run normanly

jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jb2012 »

cmgee67 wrote:What does a decent hat run normanly
If you're buying felt and plan on wearing it longer than a year I would not INVEST less than $200 in one. I say this because the more you spend (obviously taken with a grain of salt) the better quality you will get in your hat, and the longer it will last before it loses body.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Finally found the pic of mine
hat.jpg
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Jusme wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Guys it's been years since I purchased an actually dress cowboy hat because all I wear are the straw hats and I am wanting to purchase a nice black felt hat. Since it's been years does anybody have any good reccomendations?

I used to sell hats and you can't go wrong with either a Stetson or Resistol
They are both made in the same factory in Garland, as are Larry Mahan, and other lower quality hats.
Depending on your intention, the higher the Beaver felt count, designated by the number of x's the softer the hat will be.
If you plan to only wear it as a very dressy hat, go with the higher numbers. If it will also be worn around less dressy occasions, you can save money by going with the lower x's. I still have a 10x that I bought 20 years ago, and with a little brushing ( I just use an old sock on my hand) it looks new.
My silverbelly is 200x and it only comes out for dress up affairs.
Pm me and I can meet you in the DFW area. I'll even crease it to your specs.
I love the breadth of knowledge at the place!!!

JusMe, If you happen to know might you be able to answer this? I had a really good friend that willed his very expensive Stetson to me when he passed. I took it to a local shop to have it stretched to fit my large noggin. They did as much as they said they could but its still maybe an eighth ot sixteenth of an inch from properly fitting. Is there anything that an be done or is there a limit it is best not to try to pass?

Thanks
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jb2012 »

Syntyr wrote:
Jusme wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Guys it's been years since I purchased an actually dress cowboy hat because all I wear are the straw hats and I am wanting to purchase a nice black felt hat. Since it's been years does anybody have any good reccomendations?

They are both made in the same factory in Garland, as are Larry Mahan, and other lower quality hats.
Depending on your intention, the higher the Beaver felt count, designated by the number of x's the softer the hat will be.
If you plan to only wear it as a very dressy hat, go with the higher numbers. If it will also be worn around less dressy occasions, you can save money by going with the lower x's. I still have a 10x that I bought 20 years ago, and with a little brushing ( I just use an old sock on my hand) it looks new.

JusMe, If you happen to know might you be able to answer this? I had a really good friend that willed his very expensive Stetson to me when he passed. I took it to a local shop to have it stretched to fit my large noggin. They did as much as they said they could but its still maybe an eighth ot sixteenth of an inch from properly fitting. Is there anything that an be done or is there a limit it is best not to try to pass?

Thanks
Stretching really never works in my opinion. Almost always the hat will return to it's original size within a day or two in my experience.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

Syntyr wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Thanks
Once a hat is blocked to certain size there is very little available "stretch" you may be to get about a 1/4" out of it, but the hat will keep trying to bounce back to its original size. Also the hat band will not give much so to get the most, the band will have to be removed and replaced with a new one.
You may just have to display the hat as a tribute, and not try to make it fit.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

+1 for American. Bought at the Hat Store in Houston before I moved away. Bought my latest straw (Stetson) at Paris Hatters in San Antonio. Both are good stores.

I agree with the comment that the number of X's is a better comparison within the brand rather than from one brand to another.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Jusme wrote: You may just have to display the hat as a tribute, and not try to make it fit.
Or have your head altered. :lol:

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-o ... cowboy-hat

The above link is the State of Texas officially designating the cowboy hat as the official hat of Texas.

******************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/states/u ... ates/texas

The above link details other "official Texas" items.

I thought Garland (Dallas County city) was named the offical hat capital of Texas,
but I could not find that one quickly, even if it's true.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

When I wear my 4" brim white Stetson, which is often, I am irked when people call me Tex, or cowboy.
This is Texas, and to think that my hat is so unique in the DFW Metroplex that these comments are made
tells me that too many of the "city" Texans I live amongst have forgotten their roots...or that transplants
don't even have a clue that they are in Texas.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “Off-Topic”