Please Post Your Favorite Chili Recipies

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SIGFan43
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Please Post Your Favorite Chili Recipies

Post by SIGFan43 »

I've been making this recipe since the 1980s. Thank my mother for the inspiration: http://grayhairattitude.files.wordpress ... -chili.pdf
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

More fine chili recipes tendered.

Thanks all, mucho appreciated.

P.S. I too love Horchata, but I doubt many here have tried it.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Abraham wrote:More fine chili recipes tendered.

Thanks all, mucho appreciated.

P.S. I too love Horchata, but I doubt many here have tried it.
I've tried it, but I'm not a fan. My youngest daughter loves it so I decided to try it.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

I have some dried boonie peppers that a friend from Guam gave me from his garden over ten years ago. His wife told me her eyes watered when he was cooking chili with just one boonie pepper in the pan, and she had to handle them with rubber gloves. I'm afraid to try them in any recipe at all.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

Oldgringo wrote:Wolf's No Bean Brand Chili doctored to suit with shredded cheese, chopped onions, sour cream and ketchup over fritos mixed with a tamale or two. Quick and easy followed with an Imodium...... :leaving
This but no sour cream of ketchup.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Acronym Esq wrote:
Abraham wrote:So your favorite chili recipe will much appreciated.
This recipe might better be described as chili stew. Primary ingredients: ground beef; onions; green pepper; tomatoes; and beans.

Beef and Bean Chili; Makes 4 servings (good idea to double it)

4 teaspoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1/2 carrot, chopped
1/2 celery stalk, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
3/4 lb lean ground beef
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin, ground
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
16 ounce can pinto/red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch of pepper
Crushed red pepper as needed to punch up heat

Topping
1/4 cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup red onion, chopped

1. In a large nonstick saucepan, heat oil. Saute onions, carrot, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and jalepeno until onions are translucent (~15 min.). Add beef and cook until no longer pink (~5-7 min.).
2. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, coriander. Cook another minute or so.
3. Add tomatoes, beans, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring ocasionally, until flavors blend (~20 min.).
4. Serve topped with sour cream, red onion, and cilantro.

I serve it with the Jiffy Corn Bread mix as instructed on box adding 1/4 cup of sugar and a diced jalapeño.

Acronym 2/5/2017 11:56 AM

This recipe certainly has all of the right ingredients. Mine is similar, although I don't include celery nor carrots, and I forego the topping ingredients. I don't really have a recipe since I just add things to taste. A buddy and I went to a chili cook-off late last year and sampled all the various chili concoctions and I concluded that mine was about as good as any there. SO, you may vary the content a little to your personal preferences, but this recipe is certainly a very good start in my opinion. Oh, mine is always made with ground pork since I typically have a freezer full of feral pig meat. But, with all the spices no one notices.
--
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

4copas

Post by 4copas »

Here's a link to one of my favorites from another forum.
"Bucksnort Chili" http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic ... nort+chili
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

It's been a decade since I made a good pot of chili but I used this:

http://www.carrollshelbyschili.com/products

I just followed the instructions using deer sausage and then added the cayenne to taste...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

The Wall
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Wall »

My very simple way is my favorite.
Ground beef, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, chopped onion, chopped jalapenos, black pepper, Hunt's tomato sauce, Hunt's Diced tomato, Bush's kidney beans, and Bush's pinto beans. Start with browning ground beef, then spices and follow with other ingredients adding tomato sauce last. The quantities you add to taste. I like lots of chili powder.
The jalapeno cornbread is easy also. Make cornbread batter as normal and add drained can of corn and jalapenos. Bake until it's done. I also like buttered saltine crackers while eating chili bean con carne. To each their own.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Abraham wrote:My wife will now after many, many years of not making chili has agreed to make it.

She's not a fan and the only thing I can do well in the cooking department is bbq and steak.

So your favorite chili recipe will much appreciated.

Thanks!
I use a base recipe and embellish from that resulting in pots of chili that rarely taste like the others. Rather than give you my base, here's where I go for references to good chili recipes, the International Chili Society's website:
http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Reci ... .asp?Cat=1

Another excellent chili recipe source:
http://www.championchilirecipes.com/
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Abraham wrote:The Wall,

I'm sure you're right that: "It's best to discover your own recipe tailored to your taste."

However, this may be the one and only time she makes it, so discovering my own recipe tailored to my taste may not be the evolution I'd like it to be...

Plus, I give folks more credit with sharing their recipes, though for reasons I've never understood, some hold recipes dear.

P.S. I forgot to mention, she makes great cornbread, sadly sans jalapenos cuz she doesn't like them either. Though she's from New Orleans, she doesn't like spicy anything. Me, I can't get enough spicy stuff, be it Mexican, Indian, (mmmmmhhh curry) Thai, Chinese with the fiery little red peppers, and well, you get my drift. Oh yeah, all that I listed I have to go to restaurants to eat, cuz it ain't available at home.
Chili is about "flavor" not "fire". Many think "spicy" means loaded with cayenne or other hot peppers, but spicy really is about flavor. The last few years I've used less high Scoville pepper powders and more variety of flavorful pepper powders.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Off-Topic”