Happy Texas Independence Day!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

:txflag:
The Unanimous Declaration of Independence made by the Delegates of the People of Texas in General Convention at the Town of Washington on the 2nd day of March 1836
http://wheretexasbecametexas.org/texas- ... exas-1836/ :txflag:

Very happy to be in my new home state of Texas to celebrate! :txflag:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Happy Texas Independence Day!

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

:txflag: Texas born and raised, and proud of it!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Whoop!
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

It's in my family. My daughter-in-law's birthday is today, Texas Independence Day. My son's birthday is December 29, the day Texas joined the United States. Pretty good planning on our part, huh? :mrgreen:

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Proud to be a 4th generation Texan and have a 5th generation sleeping in his crib!

:txflag:

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

In light of current politics, it's ironic how many signatories were illegal aliens who came to Texas after April 1830.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

ninjabread wrote:In light of current politics, it's ironic how many signatories were illegal aliens who came to Texas after April 1830.
Hardly an apples-to-apples comparison. The Mexico Law of April 6, 1830 lasted less than three years at a time when the Mexican government was in an upheaval. And it tried to immediately stop immigration that was not only legally sanctioned, but monetarily encouraged.

Mexico went through at least five distinct phases dealing with Texan immigration, much of it self-legislated. And it all happened in a relative heartbeat: less than two decades from birth of the Mexican nation to Texas independence. So the analogy of slowing flow from a few countries into one that has had over 230 years of relatively consistent government and smooth, controlled transfers of power stops there.

And lest we forget, when the first real battles for Texas independence began, it wasn't just "incursionist" Anglos involved. Ergo the term "Texican": residents from Mexico and the United States were almost equal in ratio, shared the land, lived side by side, worked side by side, and fought side by side.

As a result of the Mexican National Colonization Law of 1824 and the Mexican federalists' success in suppressing the centralists in Mexico City resulting in the Constitution of 1824, Mexico pulled out (almost) all the stops in 1825 to try to attract large numbers of immigrants into the Coahuila/Texas region. Mexicans were to have first choice, but as incentive the government was essentially giving away what were, by today's standard, massive tracts of land: for a very small payment, you could get a league of pastureland (over 4,400 acres) plus a labor (177 acres) for cultivation.

The Mexican intent was to quickly populate the region with people committed to Mexico (the nation being freshly minted only a handful of years before) and who would act as a sort of buffer zone against the American Indian threat and the larger pressure from the United States. My family came here in 1828, into the then-controversial Nacogdoches area, during those rapid emigration days.

And the Law of April 6, 1830 lasted less than three years; the influx of immigrants from the north did slow to a crawl during that time...but the unrest among the then-residents--both Mexican and American--was seeded. At the beginning of 1833, Santa Anna led a coup and forcibly removed the centralists from the Mexican government and the federalists revoked the article in the Law of April 6, 1830 that slowed immigration from the United States, and the flow resumed.

The spring of 1834 to late 1835 was absolutely nuts in Mexico. Santa Ana decided he didn't like the federalists after all, repealed the Constitution of 1824, and instituted a new congress composed of...wait for it...centralists. It was much more difficult, given simple geography, for other areas of Mexico to rebel, but there were uprisings in some states like Zacatecas. A recently-minted nation that had fought for and won its independence from a recently renewed monarchy (Ferdinand VII) had gone from an intended republic almost overnight to an autocracy. Only the autocrats and those under their thumbs were happy about the developments.
As a proportion of the population, the active participation of Hispanic native and immigrant residents in the struggle for independence of Texas from Spain and Mexico was equal to or greater in specific battles than that of resident immigrants from the United States of the North.
--Wallace L. McKeehan
The term Tejano refers to Hispanics who were born in what would become, and is now Texas. Tejanos Jose Antonio Navarro and Lorenzo de Zavala risked their lives, and did so proudly, by signing the Texas Declaration of Independence on March 2, 1836. Many, many more Mexicans fought and died for an independent Texas.

A very long way of saying that I do not believe conservatives want, or that President Trump is espousing, a ban on immigration.

When my ancestors came to Texas in 1828, they had to pledge to the current Mexican constitution and affirm that they were Catholic. Even 189 years ago it wasn't acceptable for citizens of a different country to wander into yours and set up residence with no restrictions.

In most of Texas we share the land, live side by side, work side by side, love side by side, and share families side by side with people who may happen to have an ethnic origin in Mexico or Spain...or Nigeria or Sweden or Libya or China or Botswana or Iceland or, yes, Syria or Yemen or Iraq.

In celebration of Texas Independence Day, we should remember our roots and celebrate that diversity. If you enter our country legally, and remain legal, Texas loves you.

Saying that signatories to the Texas Declaration of Independence were illegal aliens is specious, disingenuous, divisive, and uninformed.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Today isn't just Texas Independence Day. I grew up with a little brother who happened to be a beagle. He was a kind, gentle soul of great intelligence, and today would have been his 50th birthday.

Happy birthday, Chico.

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

I loves me some Texas. Happy Birthday Buddy!
Just some guy's opinion.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Skiprr, are you a professor??? Great write up, sir!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “Off-Topic”