Where to begin with a HAM radio?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Where to begin with a HAM radio?

Post by Scott B. »

Fortunate timing. My packet from W5YI came today. Includes Part 97 of...FCC code covering amateur radio operations? the rules and regulations. A book about Technician Class. Two CD-ROMs, one is the HamStudy 14.0 software the other is with the book....ah, it's an audio CD of the book. A PreStudy Q & A booklet for Technician Class. And a two-sided chart with frequencies depicted.

I think this is going to get me where I'm wanting to go. :thumbs2:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

Scott B. wrote:Fortunate timing. My packet from W5YI came today. Includes Part 97 of...FCC code covering amateur radio operations? the rules and regulations. A book about Technician Class. Two CD-ROMs, one is the HamStudy 14.0 software the other is with the book....ah, it's an audio CD of the book. A PreStudy Q & A booklet for Technician Class. And a two-sided chart with frequencies depicted.

Where did you sign up for the packet?

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 15

Post by bblhd672 »

What would be good equipment to get started with? Preferably mobile (handheld) first, then base station (home).
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Scott B. »

carlson1 wrote:
Scott B. wrote:Fortunate timing. My packet from W5YI came today. Includes Part 97 of...FCC code covering amateur radio operations? the rules and regulations. A book about Technician Class. Two CD-ROMs, one is the HamStudy 14.0 software the other is with the book....ah, it's an audio CD of the book. A PreStudy Q & A booklet for Technician Class. And a two-sided chart with frequencies depicted.

Here> http://www.w5yi.org/catalog_details.php?pid=71&sort=5 that was in Charles' post hyperlinked as Gordon West study guide.

Came quick too...2 days? Must be here in Texas because they got me for sales tax.

Edit: Arlington.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Scott B. wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Here> http://www.w5yi.org/catalog_details.php?pid=71&sort=5 that was in Charles' post hyperlinked as Gordon West study guide.

Came quick too...2 days? Must be here in Texas because they got me for sales tax.
That sounds like what I was looking for. Thank you. :tiphat:

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Y'all, I don't need another hobby. Quit it!
bblhd672 wrote:What would be good equipment to get started with? Preferably mobile (handheld) first, then base station (home).
But I have the same questions....
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Baufeng hand helds a good basic 2 bander with a power supply will double as a base and car mobile. Yeasu 7900 or other brand name is a good start.
A hamfest is a good place to get equipment new or used at the best prices. If you are near Texas City they will be having one on July 8th They will be doing testing there also.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Scott B. wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Edit: Arlington.
As others have noted, there are free or fee-based websites with practice exams. However, Gordon West's study guides and software do so much more. Gordon grouped all same or similar questions together so you study the entire subject matter at one time. He also gives a short explanation along with the question and answer meaning you actually learn something, rather than merely memorize the correct answer.

I used Gordon's book when I upgraded to Extra about 4 years ago. I read the book first, then started taking practice exams with the software that came with the study guide. That make the exam very easy. I've recommended Gordon's study guides and software to a lot of people and not one person has told me they were dissatisfied. As with everything, people have their own preferences.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

MustangGlocker wrote:You can also attend Ham-Com(http://www.hamcom.org) which is held at the Irving Convention Center on June 9-10.

N5AFD
I'm going with a friend. We'll be up there sometime Friday.

Chas.

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I dont know the first thing about ham radios. What kind of things can you do with them?

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Ok, I'm seriously considering a license now and a small handheld starter radio. The more I read about it, the more I think "why wouldn't I?" I think I could get in for ~$150 for a study guide, test/license, and beginner radio (something along the lines of a Baofeng BF-F8HP...?) or am I too optimistic?

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Take Down Sicko wrote:I dont know the first thing about ham radios. What kind of things can you do with them?
A couple of the articles I've read that put me over the edge of curious to "ok I should seriously consider having this at home and in my EDC bag/go bag"

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... ham-radio/
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-reasons- ... adio-home/
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/75830.html

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

MustangGlocker wrote:You can also attend Ham-Com(http://www.hamcom.org) which is held at the Irving Convention Center on June 9-10.
This looks like the best place to go and get all equipment and new guy questions answered!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 19

Post by 2farnorth »

The Baofeng radios are just ok. Not great. Their receivers are like barn doors and will be interfered with by any strong signal nearby. Mine is sensitive to my wifi signals on certain frequencies. To properly program them you need a Baofeng cable to attach the to your computer. Be aware that there are some low quality fake/clones on the market. The radios can be programmed manually but it's an onerous process. The programming disk that came with my cable was totally useless. Would do nothing but flash "Baofeng" intermittently. I downloaded the "chirp" (http://chirp.danplanet.com) program and after I found the proper installer.exe file I was able to complete the programming. Now the radio hears all the repeaters within a reasonable distance but accessing them with the tiny antenna and low power is hit and miss. An optional antenna is recommended.
N5PNZ

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Great info. TJB. Thanks for posting.

Return to “Off-Topic”