Where to begin with a HAM radio?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Where to begin with a HAM radio?

Post by bblhd672 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:Y'all, I don't need another hobby. Quit it!
bblhd672 wrote:What would be good equipment to get started with? Preferably mobile (handheld) first, then base station (home).
But I have the same questions....
IMO Buying a Baofeng UV-5R for about $30 from Amazon is the easiest, no-regrets, starter handset.
Low investment and more than enough quality to get started.
My $150 Alinco handset is great, but the transmit and receive quality of the Baofeng is equal.
Baofeng battery life is MUCH better. The only spec where the Alinco beats the Baofeng is that the Alinco has some water resistance rating.

Make sure to buy from a reputable seller with fulfillment via Amazon. I got one with a defective connector and Amazon made it right, no questions asked.

Also, I highly recommend buying a data cable for programming from a computer. While I find the Baofeng easier to program from the keypad than my Alinco, it's still much MUCH easier to program from the computer. The programming software is free from either Baofeng or you can use CHIRP. I prefer CHIRP.
The negative I seem to read most about the Baofeng is the antenna that comes with it. What would be a better antenna to purchase to go with it?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

bblhd672 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:What would be good equipment to get started with? Preferably mobile (handheld) first, then base station (home).
IMO Buying a Baofeng UV-5R for about $30 from Amazon is the easiest, no-regrets, starter handset.
My $150 Alinco handset is great, but the transmit and receive quality of the Baofeng is equal.
Baofeng battery life is MUCH better. The only spec where the Alinco beats the Baofeng is that the Alinco has some water resistance rating.

Make sure to buy from a reputable seller with fulfillment via Amazon. I got one with a defective connector and Amazon made it right, no questions asked.

Also, I highly recommend buying a data cable for programming from a computer. While I find the Baofeng easier to program from the keypad than my Alinco, it's still much MUCH easier to program from the computer. The programming software is free from either Baofeng or you can use CHIRP. I prefer CHIRP.
The negative I seem to read most about the Baofeng is the antenna that comes with it. What would be a better antenna to purchase to go with it?
http://geekprepper.org/baofeng-antenna-upgrade/
For $12, why not?
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

bblhd672 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

Yes, get a better (a/k/a longer) dual band antenna.

I agree with everything RoyGBiv wrote about Baofeng HT's. I have had a UV-5R for about four or five years now and it works fine. In fact, a similar radio (Wouxun KG--UV3D) is what got me back into ham radio after many years of being away from the hobby. A Forum Member posted about that radio and I did a little research before buying. It too has performed well, but it doesn't have the amazing battery life of the Baofeng.

I own one Baofeng UV-5R, a Wouxun KGUV3D and a Kenwood TH-F 6A. All have after-market antennas, but keep the short ones in case you decide to build or buy an Allstar micro-node.

Chas.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

Yes, get a better (a/k/a longer) dual band antenna.

I agree with everything RoyGBiv wrote about Baofeng HT's. I have had a UV-5R for about four or five years now and it works fine. In fact, a similar radio (Wouxun KG--UV3D) is what got me back into ham radio after many years of being away from the hobby. A Forum Member posted about that radio and I did a little research before buying. It too has performed well, but it doesn't have the amazing battery life of the Baofeng.

I own one Baofeng UV-5R, a Wouxun KGUV3D and a Kenwood TH-F 6A. All have after-market antennas, but keep the short ones in case you decide to build or buy an Allstar micro-node.

Chas.
It appears the UV-5R may be end of life. Would the BaoFeng BF-F8HP be a suitable replacement? https://baofengtech.com/bf-f8hp
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

bblhd672 wrote: It appears the UV-5R may be end of life. Would the BaoFeng BF-F8HP be a suitable replacement? https://baofengtech.com/bf-f8hp
That or the UV-5X3 https://baofengtech.com/uv-5x3
I'm going to try and figure out the pros and cons of one vs the other in the next couple of days. Haven't dug in yet.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
bblhd672 wrote: It appears the UV-5R may be end of life. Would the BaoFeng BF-F8HP be a suitable replacement? https://baofengtech.com/bf-f8hp
I'm going to try and figure out the pros and cons of one vs the other in the next couple of days. Haven't dug in yet.
Just ordered this one and a USB programming cable. The description says it has an "improved" antenna, so I didn't order another one until I get an idea how well this one that comes with it works.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MA ... pldnSite=1

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Scott B. wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
Scott B. wrote:Fortunate timing. My packet from W5YI came today. Includes Part 97 of...FCC code covering amateur radio operations? the rules and regulations. A book about Technician Class. Two CD-ROMs, one is the HamStudy 14.0 software the other is with the book....ah, it's an audio CD of the book. A PreStudy Q & A booklet for Technician Class. And a two-sided chart with frequencies depicted.

I think this is going to get me where I'm wanting to go. :thumbs2:
Where did you sign up for the packet?
Here> http://www.w5yi.org/catalog_details.php?pid=71&sort=5 that was in Charles' post hyperlinked as Gordon West study guide.

Came quick too...2 days? Must be here in Texas because they got me for sales tax.

Edit: Arlington.
Ordered Technician packet from W5YI this morning, rcvd email that it will arrive tomorrow!

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Scott B. »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Curious to hear your verdict.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

bblhd672 wrote:Just ordered this one and a USB programming cable. The description says it has an "improved" antenna, so I didn't order another one until I get an idea how well this one that comes with it works.
Got my new radio last night (gotta love Amazon same day delivery!). Didn't get home till 10:30 so haven't done anything with it but unbox and skim the manual. Lots of new terms/acronyms to learn!

It's been 35 years since I was Radioman in Navy, but hopefully some of that stuff I learned is still recall-able in my brain!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

bblhd672 wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:Just ordered this one and a USB programming cable. The description says it has an "improved" antenna, so I didn't order another one until I get an idea how well this one that comes with it works.
Got my new radio last night (gotta love Amazon same day delivery!). Didn't get home till 10:30 so haven't done anything with it but unbox and skim the manual. Lots of new terms/acronyms to learn!

It's been 35 years since I was Radioman in Navy, but hopefully some of that stuff I learned is still recall-able in my brain!
You Navy guys are brave... I don't like transmitting @5 watts close to my melon. At 8 watts I'd be using an external speaker/mic for sure. :lol:

Here is a lesson for Apple... :thumbs2:
the BF-F8HP maintains full cross accessory compatibility with all previous UV-5R accessories
This is a really nicely-spec'd radio... I might have to have one. Looks like it's already supported on CHIRP too.
The only missing improvement I really wold like to see from Baofeng would be some better level of waterproofness.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:

You Navy guys are brave... I don't like transmitting @5 watts close to my melon. At 8 watts I'd be using an external speaker/mic for sure. :lol:

Here is a lesson for Apple... :thumbs2:
the BF-F8HP maintains full cross accessory compatibility with all previous UV-5R accessories
This is a really nicely-spec'd radio... I might have to have one. Looks like it's already supported on CHIRP too.
The only missing improvement I really wold like to see from Baofeng would be some better level of waterproofness.
The most powerful radio on the sub was 1200 watt HF.

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 16

Post by locke_n_load »

Ordered a UV-5R with data cable for $33 from amazon yesterday, will be here tomorrow. First jump into ham. Look forward to listening to the police/fire department frequencies until I get my technician's license.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

bblhd672 wrote:

I looked into this with the 8 watt transmit power, but from what I read, it doesn't really put out 8 watts on most bands, and in reality a better antennae would be a better investment over a 3 watt jump in transmit power. But that is just from 2 hours of reading, I'm sure they're both great and I'm literally just getting started.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

locke_n_load wrote:Ordered a UV-5R with data cable for $33 from amazon yesterday, will be here tomorrow. First jump into ham. Look forward to listening to the police/fire department frequencies until I get my technician's license.
Around here (Fort Worth area) the police use a digital trunked system, not compatible with that radio. I'd need an expensive scanner to listen to the PoPo here, or you can download a phone app called "Scanner Radio" and listen via a smartphone, assuming your local area is being rebroadcast.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

RoyGBiv wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:Ordered a UV-5R with data cable for $33 from amazon yesterday, will be here tomorrow. First jump into ham. Look forward to listening to the police/fire department frequencies until I get my technician's license.
Around here (Fort Worth area) the police use a digital trunked system, not compatible with that radio. I'd need an expensive scanner to listen to the PoPo here, or you can download a phone app called "Scanner Radio" and listen via a smartphone, assuming your local area is being rebroadcast.
Hopefully harris county is a little more old school... thanks for the heads up though.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Return to “Off-Topic”