Online Veteran Exchange looking for beta testers

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dale blanker
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Online Veteran Exchange looking for beta testers

Post by dale blanker »

Honorably discharged veterans who want to shop at the online exchanges could be given access as early as Monday as part of a group of "beta testers" through a new veteran shopper verification system launched Monday morning. This is supposed to be a new benefit for all honorably discharged veterans (not just active duty, reserves, or retired) starting in November but some vets will be selected to have online access early.

I've seen mixed reviews about the online exchange but it's probably worth a look.

See: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017 ... hange.html
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Online Veteran Exchange looking for beta testers

Post by rotor »

Worth a try to see how it is. Thanks.

tk1700
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tk1700 »

I'm retired military and have used the online exchange once. Overall it was a positive experience. I was wanting 2 lap tops and the exchange had the best price but they weren't in stock. Ordered from online exchange and got what I ordered in several days. Also,got the Star card, exchange charge card, and with their promotional got an additional 10% off my first purchase which was several hundred dollars.

If I see anything else they have that I want I would use them again.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I went to the verify site in the article. I inserted said info and immediately got a message saying I could begin using the exchange in November...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

stash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stash »

No luck for me. After I input required info, they indicated an apology and indicated they could locate no info re me.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

G26ster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G26ster »

stash wrote:No luck for me. After I input required info, they indicated an apology and indicated they could locate no info re me.
Same thing happened to me when I went to sign up for the Lowes veteran discount online. 3d party verifier could not confirm my status. I have 4 different DD214's so that could be the issue, but I don't know.

Topic author
dale blanker
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by dale blanker »

stash wrote:No luck for me. After I input required info, they indicated an apology and indicated they could locate no info re me.
I had this problem too. The error message said that I was not in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) database and needed to submit an inquiry at
https://iris.custhelp.com/app/ask
In the form at that location:
1. type Not in DEERS in the Question box
2. From the "Select a Topic and the Inquiry Type" section under the "Please Select a Topic" drop down menu, select the "Veteran not in DEERS (Add)" option.
3. From the "Select an inquiry Type?" same section, select "Question" from the drop down menu.
4. Complete the rest of the form with your contact data and military service data (service number, dates of service)
You should receive an email confirmation with a question reference# shortly after you submit but it may take 5 days to get a real response.

It's a weird form but it does seem to work - I'm waiting for a reply. You can also call 800-827-1000 and say "eBenefits" but I didn't try that - probably a long wait. Good luck
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I had a credit account with AAFES back in the early nineties, maybe they collate that stuff...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

G26ster wrote:
Same thing happened to me when I went to sign up for the Lowes veteran discount online. 3d party verifier could not confirm my status. I have 4 different DD214's so that could be the issue, but I don't know.
I'm just curious...... how does one end up with four DD214s?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

RogueUSMC wrote:I went to the verify site in the article. I inserted said info and immediately got a message saying I could begin using the exchange in November...

Same Here.

rotor

Post by rotor »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
G26ster wrote:
I have 2 different DD214's, one when I separated which is the one I provide and one when I left the prior base I was in. I was recognized by the system but had to upload my DD214. I gave them my last one which shows I was discharged (honorable). I was not recognized when I tried the verify at Lowes.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man wrote: I'm just curious...... how does one end up with four DD214s?
:lol: One when I was discharged after being drafted (2 year commitment. 2 months later I re-enlisted- only had 90 days to do so to keep my stripes and so-called "bonus.") One when I graduated Officer Candidate school and was discharged as a Staff Sargent so I could be commissioned. One when I left active duty after 5 years commissioned service, and one after I was re-called to active duty and spent 3 years, and was discharged again. Easy! :lol:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
G26ster wrote:
At least when I was on active duty, a new DD-214 was issued every time you reenlisted. The only one of any real value is the last one.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

G26ster wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: I'm just curious...... how does one end up with four DD214s?
:lol: One when I was discharged after being drafted (2 year commitment. 2 months later I re-enlisted- only had 90 days to do so to keep my stripes and so-called "bonus.") One when I graduated Officer Candidate school and was discharged as a Staff Sargent so I could be commissioned. One when I left active duty after 5 years commissioned service, and one after I was re-called to active duty and spent 3 years, and was discharged again. Easy! :lol:
Pawpaw wrote:At least when I was on active duty, a new DD-214 was issued every time you reenlisted. The only one of any real value is the last one.
OK...... THAT explains it! :thumbs2: Thanks.

Being ignorant of such things, I assumed that you'd get one if you left a service, and then perhaps another if you later reenlisted and then left again, but I didn't realize that you have to be discharged as an enlisted person before promotion to the officer corps. Isn't that kind of like having to be fired as a clerk, so you can become office manager? :lol: I suppose there are a lot of things about the military that wouldn't necessarily make sense to a civilian, but that do make sense in a military context. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man wrote: I suppose there are a lot of things about the military that wouldn't necessarily make sense to a civilian, but that do make sense in a military context. :mrgreen:
Remember TAM the military is the birthplace of:

"Close enough for government work."
"We've met the enemy, and they are us."
And others I'm not permitted by forum rules to quote.
:mrgreen:

Return to “Off-Topic”