Back in the Saddle Again

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 21

Re: Back in the Saddle Again

Post by C-dub »

treadlightly wrote:Nice! Mine's the red and black paint scheme and has some trickery under the tupperware. The first thing I did was get Raceworx in Alvaredo to install Traxxion Dynamics' Full Monty suspension upgrade. The difference is night and day. Helibars help, too, because they don't flex.

A touring bike that carves like a sportbike. There are worse ways to spend an afternoon than aboard a Gold Wing, particularly with enhancements.

'Course, it hasn't been entirely without worry. Nothing serious, but the other day I noticed this odd clacking. The bike still felt turbine smooth, but there was this cyclic click I found most disconcerting.

Silly me. It was my new wristwatch. Had me fooled. I now keep it in the top shelter pocket when I ride so it's not such a distraction from the whisper thrust of that flat six. Even a Rolex isn't as well balanced as that motor.

Ride safe.
I've read about the Traxxion stuff and will consider it after we get some miles on it to evaluate what it is now. It ride pretty good to me stock. The first few days I rode without any preload and just tried it with 10 yesterday. It didn't feel that much different, but I don't even have 50 miles on it yet. Stupid rain!

I don't know what helibars are. I'll search for them and check them out. I'm just a little overwhelmed with all the possibilities at this point and need to just get some miles on it before doing anything yet. The first thing I'm really thinking I'll do will be to put some fog lights in those lower cowl spots to throw a low wide beam.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Many have mentioned that an AR is like a Barbie for men. Well, this this is also like that for bikers. There are SO many things that can be done to it that it's just blowing my mind. And all with a huge grin on my face.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My Lifegroup leader is leaving this afternoon for Sturgis, where he is part of a Christian ministry effort organized around a bike giveaway. He'll be riding a Hardly Abelson. Pray for him. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 3

Post by treadlightly »

C-dub wrote: I've read about the Traxxion stuff and will consider it after we get some miles on it to evaluate what it is now. It ride pretty good to me stock. The first few days I rode without any preload and just tried it with 10 yesterday. It didn't feel that much different, but I don't even have 50 miles on it yet. Stupid rain!

I don't know what helibars are. I'll search for them and check them out. I'm just a little overwhelmed with all the possibilities at this point and need to just get some miles on it before doing anything yet. The first thing I'm really thinking I'll do will be to put some fog lights in those lower cowl spots to throw a low wide beam.
Helibars are mostly known for their multi-axis adjustability, but they are also stiff. The stock bars are springy.

However you commission your Wing, it's a hoot to ride.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

treadlightly wrote:
C-dub wrote: I've read about the Traxxion stuff and will consider it after we get some miles on it to evaluate what it is now. It ride pretty good to me stock. The first few days I rode without any preload and just tried it with 10 yesterday. It didn't feel that much different, but I don't even have 50 miles on it yet. Stupid rain!

Helibars are mostly known for their multi-axis adjustability, but they are also stiff. The stock bars are springy.

However you commission your Wing, it's a hoot to ride.
I checked them out today. I have had fork braces on two other bikes and liked them quite a bit, so I will probably also do this. I still want to get some miles on first. I'll probably revisit the helibars and traxxion stuff in the spring when we get our tax refund.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I took the wife out for her first ride on the Wing yesterday. Went to lunch and then took care of a couple errands. We took the long way around and put just over 50 miles on it. We hadn't riden since we sold our last bike about 5 years ago. Holy Moly there are some muscles I hadn't used like that in a while.

Overall, it was a great ride, as expected. The bike performed flawlessly and I hardly noticed the extra weight of having a passenger. We will keep taking rides extending our range steadily so we can get used to being on for longer periods. I think she fared better than I yesterday. My arms and shoulders were really sore a couple hours afterwards. I'll have to start working those out more to be in better shape for longer rides.

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

AndyC wrote:I'd love to get a bike but I have little experience with one (other than a little DT175 off-road bike in my late teens), so I'd likely kill myself.

Look into the on-bike classes offered by the Harley Davidson dealers, and by Motorcycle Safety Foundation affiliates, in your area. Good way to get some training and experience in a controlled environment for minimal investment.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Lovely wings there. My wife's dad died on a scooter accident when she was 10 yrs. No bike for me, a compromise, a MB CLK550 Convertible. I know it is not the same thing, but I could not refuse the opportunity.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Convertibles are nice, but they're not the same. I had one back in the 80's, although, not as nice as yours. However, this Wing is nicer than my convertible and it's still a motorcycle.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Speaking of Hot Springs, I was chatting with a guy who had a nice Honda Gold Wing.
Its speedometer went up to 160 MPH, and I asked him if it could go that fast.

Well, he and his girlfriend were up in Arkansas on an empty highway. He got that Honda
up to 138 MPH and he said there was more power to go faster, but 138 was fast enough for him!

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Many forums seem to imply that 125-130 may be the upper range for a Wing. There may not have been much more for your friend.

I've been a little north of 170 on my last bike (Hayabusa), but doubt this one will ever see 100 mph. I think my go fast days are past me. I've just over 200 miles on it so far and wish we would have gotten one years ago. Probably even instead of the Busa, but I'm glad we have one now and glad I didn't die on the Busa or flying off of it somewhere.

I can't even remember the last time my truck saw 80 mph and that's including driving in a few spots a year with speed limits of 75 mph.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Congrats on the bike! She's a beauty. I would encourage you to look into a headlight modulator. I lot of bikers don't know about them, but I love mine. It has resulted in a massive reduction in people pulling out in front of me and people cutting me off in traffic. They're relatively cheap and legal in all 50 states by federal law. The one I have is made by Signal Dynamics, and I have been very happy with it. Just be sure to get the right one for your bike and the corresponding wiring harness. It's all plug and play, though. Here's a link if you're interested:

ETA: I don't know if that link is working right or not. If not, just search for "Signal Dynamics Plug & Play Headlight Module" and it should pop right up.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

LucasMcCain wrote:Congrats on the bike! She's a beauty. I would encourage you to look into a headlight modulator. I lot of bikers don't know about them, but I love mine. It has resulted in a massive reduction in people pulling out in front of me and people cutting me off in traffic. They're relatively cheap and legal in all 50 states by federal law. The one I have is made by Signal Dynamics, and I have been very happy with it. Just be sure to get the right one for your bike and the corresponding wiring harness. It's all plug and play, though. Here's a link if you're interested:

ETA: I don't know if that link is working right or not. If not, just search for "Signal Dynamics Plug & Play Headlight Module" and it should pop right up.
This looks interesting. I've seen these or something like this on other bikes. There is one for mine, but since I have dual headlights the kit is a little more. It's not quite double, but still doable. I wonder if both of my lights would dim and surge at the same time or if they would alternate. That would be cool.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

C-dub wrote: This looks interesting. I've seen these or something like this on other bikes. There is one for mine, but since I have dual headlights the kit is a little more. It's not quite double, but still doable. I wonder if both of my lights would dim and surge at the same time or if they would alternate. That would be cool.
I have no idea! I have a single headlight, so I hadn't even thought of that. I've only seen other people with one a couple times, but it is extremely eye-catching. Basically, it just makes people notice you more, pay attention, and pause to figure out what they're looking at. Also, I occasionally see people fastening their seat belt or trying to stash stuff because they think I might be a cop. That always gives me a chuckle.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Return to “Off-Topic”