Getting older sucks

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tk1700
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Getting older sucks

Post by tk1700 »

I've had bifocals for many years, both lined and progressive. I prefer the progressive and after a short learning period can shoot well with them. My wife and I have ordered from Zenni quite a bit and are happy with their service and products. My current everyday wear progressives are 2 years old and still holding up. I think the frames were $6.95, the total cost for progressive photo chromatic lenses was under $100. I have an eye appt tomorrow and will be ordering new glasses from them again if I get a new prescription.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I shoot a 1MOA red dot sight on my AR. And I shoot it frequently. I can hit most anything I want to out to 300 yds with my red dot and no magnification. I keep my AR on my mule while riding around the property (not the kind that eats hay) and very often shoot hogs, coyotes, snakes and beaver with it.

Even though I'm just over 60 now, :oops: , my vision is still very sharp at distance. But, I'm finding the need to have reading glasses laying around everywhere I might need them for close up work. Not just reading, but welding and working in the shop. I have trouble reading the sizes on sockets and wrenches with some reading glasses. A few months ago I began to think that the 1MOA dot was getting bigger and throwing me off when shooting. I thought something was going bad on my sight, but after a while I figured out it was just my bad eyesight close up that was blurring the dot.

I can't see worth a hoot at 100 yds wearing reading glasses, and the red dot is blurry without them. I would love to find a solution for this, but I need to see both the dot and the target at the same time through the sight. I really don't want to switch to a scope, but I may have to. Any suggestions?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I use a low power scout style scope mounted forward. It allows for two eyes focused down range. For me this is the best of both worlds
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

striker55

Post by striker55 »

The upside is retirement, I'm so glad I don't have to go to work.

charliee

Post by charliee »

''Getting older sucks''... but that beats the heck out of the alternative.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

charliee wrote:''Getting older sucks''... but that beats the heck out of the alternative.
That is my understanding as well.

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

It does suck, however each day I give thanks that I am looking at the grass and not the roots.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

Sidro wrote:It does suck, however each day I give thanks that I am looking at the grass and not the roots.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

You will more than likely love them. My wife has worn monovision contacts for about 40 years and would not change for anything.

I went to multifocal contacts this past year and have great results. Multifocal are kind of like progressive bifocals, but on the contacts they are made like the rings on a target. The center is for distance, the next ring for midrange, and then the outer ring is for close up. I like these better than my progressive bifocal glasses because I can see close looking up, to the side or down. Work really well with all of my gun sights, compound bow or crossbow. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

Lynyrd wrote:I shoot a 1MOA red dot sight on my AR. And I shoot it frequently. I can hit most anything I want to out to 300 yds with my red dot and no magnification. I keep my AR on my mule while riding around the property (not the kind that eats hay) and very often shoot hogs, coyotes, snakes and beaver with it.

Even though I'm just over 60 now, :oops: , my vision is still very sharp at distance. But, I'm finding the need to have reading glasses laying around everywhere I might need them for close up work. Not just reading, but welding and working in the shop. I have trouble reading the sizes on sockets and wrenches with some reading glasses. A few months ago I began to think that the 1MOA dot was getting bigger and throwing me off when shooting. I thought something was going bad on my sight, but after a while I figured out it was just my bad eyesight close up that was blurring the dot.

I can't see worth a hoot at 100 yds wearing reading glasses, and the red dot is blurry without them. I would love to find a solution for this, but I need to see both the dot and the target at the same time through the sight. I really don't want to switch to a scope, but I may have to. Any suggestions?
You might try a different red dot. Or possibly you are viewing yours wrong? My 1 mill EOtech solves this exact problem since the dot is perceived to be projected at the target.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

When you get old everything shrinks...I always say

Return to “Off-Topic”