Beer

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 6

Beer

Post by pbwalker »

Any craft beer aficionados? Anyone on Untappd?

I've got ~20 breweries in town, and a dozen or so more within an hour's drive. While the market seems to be moving toward Sours / Gose, I'm still an IPA junkie and live for the stuff. Session, DIPA, Triple IPA, etc. The hoppier the better. Stouts and Porters are my next go to, with Kolschs, Ryes, and Pales as my failsafe choice.

Untappd Username: bwalkerco
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Beer

Post by bmwrdr »

pbwalker wrote:Any craft beer aficionados? Anyone on Untappd?

I've got ~20 breweries in town, and a dozen or so more within an hour's drive. While the market seems to be moving toward Sours / Gose, I'm still an IPA junkie and live for the stuff. Session, DIPA, Triple IPA, etc. The hoppier the better. Stouts and Porters are my next go to, with Kolschs, Ryes, and Pales as my failsafe choice.

Untappd Username: bwalkerco
I guess you would feel very comfortable in Munich, Germany, my place of birth.
They still have the purity law in place in Bavaria, all other states got away without in order to make cheaper beer with hops imported from China.
Only in Bavaria beer is taxed lower than wine and other alcoholic beverages.
In the 90's the government introduced a law for bars to have at least one drink cheaper than beer which caused a price drop for ugly tasting sodas.
There are over 1,000 breweries in and around Munich.

:cheers2:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

Imperial Stouts and Porters for me.

I've got one of these nearby. Great selection that changes regularly.
https://whatsontapbeer.com/
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

Nitro milk stout from Left Hand Brewery in Colorado is my go to beer
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

KLB

Post by KLB »

It's not a craft brew, but I recommend Young's Double Chocolate Stout. You don't taste the chocolate, but it's like drinking silk.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

KLB wrote:It's not a craft brew, but I recommend Young's Double Chocolate Stout. You don't taste the chocolate, but it's like drinking silk.
Sounds like a great breakfasr beer to me.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

RPBrown wrote:Nitro milk stout from Left Hand Brewery in Colorado is my go to beer
One of the breweries close to me! Their Introvert & Extrovert IPAs are incredible, as is their Milk Stout Nitro. Great choice!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Got a craft beer fan here, even listed in my profile. I'm especially fond of Texas craft beers. I'm so glad the TABC finally got ordered to remove the rediculous restriction that any beer with more than 5% abv had to be labeled either as ale or malt liquor. I have several favorites, but I really like IPA from Rahr. Hoppa chillo is also real good. I then move to stouts and porters in cooler weather. I'm not a fan of any fruit flavored beers, but that's just my personal preference.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I don't drink much these days, but when I drink beer it's typically a craft beer of the porter/stout variety. The Left Handed Nitro Milk Stout is a favorite, as are the offerings from Deschutes, such as their Black Butte Porter.

On the rare occasions I want to drink a lot of beer (did I say this was a rare occasion) I'm a regular old Shiner Bock fan.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

My current faves are Alpine Duet IPA and Lakewood Temptress stout.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

SigM4 wrote:I don't drink much these days, but when I drink beer it's typically a craft beer of the porter/stout variety. The Left Handed Nitro Milk Stout is a favorite, as are the offerings from Deschutes, such as their Black Butte Porter.

On the rare occasions I want to drink a lot of beer (did I say this was a rare occasion) I'm a regular old Shiner Bock fan.
:iagree: on the Shiner Bock.

I am not really a craft brew aficionado, but when I lived in Seattle, I spent a fair amount of time at the Pyramid brewery before baseball and football games. My all time favorite is Alaskan Amber, but Shiner Bock is also a really good alternative, IMHO.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Not a huge beer aficionado but I do appreciate the varieties that are out there. I can't stand bitter beer and tap out at about 40 IBU and above. Drinking an IPA feels like I'm fighting with the beer and that's just not enjoyable to me. I'm glad to see the trend of the uber hoppy beer give way to something else. I acknowledge this probably makes me a heretic in the hipster craft brew world. ;)

I am not very brand loyal so I try a lot of things. The exception to that is Shiner beers. I almost always have at least some in the fridge. When I want just a drinking beer such as when I'm grilling, they are what I will reach for.

Bocks and wheat beers are some of my favorites. The Belgian Wits especially.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

SQLGeek wrote:Not a huge beer aficionado but I do appreciate the varieties that are out there. I can't stand bitter beer and tap out at about 40 IBU and above. Drinking an IPA feels like I'm fighting with the beer and that's just not enjoyable to me. I'm glad to see the trend of the uber hoppy beer give way to something else. I acknowledge this probably makes me a heretic in the hipster craft brew world. ;)

I am not very brand loyal so I try a lot of things. The exception to that is Shiner beers. I almost always have at least some in the fridge. When I want just a drinking beer such as when I'm grilling, they are what I will reach for.

Bocks and wheat beers are some of my favorites. The Belgian Wits especially.
Do you consume only conflict free hops, watered with the tears of bald eagles? If not, you're wrong. /hipster :lol:

I was a huge wheat fan for many years, but the thought of drinking one nowadays makes my stomach turn. I don't know what happened, but one day I was like "I'm done with wheat / wit beer...". I can't drink Belgians Tripels anymore either. To me, they're sickly sweet.

Some of my favorite beers are 80+ IBU. Green Flash, Pliny the Elder, Cigar City...yummy.

I was down in TX last week and wow, in two years the craft beer industry has really grown. Had some Rahr, Lakewood Brewing, Karbach...good stuff!

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

One of my favorites... when I can find it... (seasonal)
Made in TX! :txflag:

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

@pbwalker

Being that you like craft beer and they don't make what you like locally have you ever considered brewing your own? Homemade is the way to go ;-)
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Off-Topic”