Reddit and freedom of speech.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 6

Reddit and freedom of speech.

Post by philip964 »

I am done with Reddit.

"You've been banned from participating in r/The_Donald

subreddit message via /r/The_Donald[M] sent 22 hours ago

You have been banned from participating in r/The_Donald. You can still view and subscribe to r/The_Donald, but you won't be able to post or comment.

Note from the moderators:

Rule 2 - Trolling - OUT OUT OUT!

If you have a question regarding your ban, you can contact the moderator team for r/The_Donald by replying to this message.

Reminder from the Reddit staff: If you use another account to circumvent this subreddit ban, that will be considered a violation of the Content Policy and can result in your account being suspended from the site as a whole."

I was banned from "The Donald" for this reply to this post.

"DONALD J. TRUMP: "The Budget passed late last night, 51 to 49. We got ZERO Democrat votes with only Rand Paul (he will vote for Tax Cuts) voting against. This now allows for the passage of large scale Tax Cuts (and Reform), which will be the biggest in the history of our country!"Trump Tweet (twitter.com)

My reply on Reddit that got me banned.

"When you change the tax code there will always be winners and losers. With the proposed tax changes the rich will win. The poor will continue to win as they pay no taxes. Supposedly the middle class will win, however with the removal of State and local tax deductions, I will be a loser. My taxes will go up. I won't be a happy camper next November. Just saying."

BTW I assume Reddit's moderator for The Donald is not Trump himself.

I was previously banned from Gun Politics for suggesting Mexico as a alternative to just the UK and Australia for countries that heavily restrict guns.

Thanks moderators here for putting up with my rants.

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Reddit and freedom of speech.

Post by strogg »

I respectfully request you to be banned from this forum because your post contains opinions different from mine. I refuse to hear anything you have to say that doesn't fit my distorted, partisan version of reality where everything from guns to cats is political and is purely black and white. I kid, of course, but how many people thought that the statement was true? 10 years ago, everyone would immediately know that it was sarcasm. Not anymore...

*sigh* This is why I avoid political forums. People are a bit too vocal with their opinions to the point where discussions are more personal attacks or tunnel-vision opinions. I'd rather have objective, thoughtful discussions. I feel your pain, philip, I do...

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

The thing is Reddit is not a discussion forum. It is a cheerleading platform.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

mayor

Post by mayor »

I've been banned from better sites than Reddit. Didn't change my outlook on life one bit.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SQLGeek »

Liberty wrote:The thing is Reddit is not a discussion forum. It is a cheerleading platform.
Yep. Upvoting encourages groupthink and a mob mentality in their respective echo chambers. I hung out on a subreddit dedicated to my profession for a while but even I have limits on how much nihilism I can tolerate. :cool:
Psalm 91:2

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

mayor wrote:I've been banned from better sites than Reddit. Didn't change my outlook on life one bit.
Hey, I’ve been banned from THIS site at least a dozen times! Well, mine was (an automatic occurrence) due to logging in from undesirable locations around the world via proxy servers - but at least I can claim to be banned from one of the best forums on the planet!!!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

montgomery
Posts in topic: 3

Post by montgomery »

Inspired rant: Why is it that folks believe they have freedom of speech with everyone on everything that is not Congress? The 1st Amendment makes it unconstitutional for Congress make laws that, among other things, abridge freedom of speech or press. Freedom of speech is between The People and Congress.

chamberc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chamberc »

Freedom of Speech isn't part of private forums. If you're in my place of business, I can ask you to stop speaking about anything I want, or ask you to leave. The 1st Amendment applies to the GOVERNMENT restricting free speech, not private entities.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

chamberc wrote:Freedom of Speech isn't part of private forums. If you're in my place of business, I can ask you to stop speaking about anything I want, or ask you to leave. The 1st Amendment applies to the GOVERNMENT restricting free speech, not private entities.
:iagree: :cheers2:

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

montgomery wrote:Inspired rant: Why is it that folks believe they have freedom of speech with everyone on everything that is not Congress? The 1st Amendment makes it unconstitutional for Congress make laws that, among other things, abridge freedom of speech or press. Freedom of speech is between The People and Congress.
:iagree: freedom of speech is our protection from the government stopping us from disagreeing with it (the government).

My answer to your Why question is : Because some people believe they "have the right to be heard", when in fact no one has that right. Some of those people also believe that anyone that disagrees with them are wrong and will shut down the dissent with name calling and accusations that are baseless (facts? what does facts have to do with anything?).
NRA Life Member

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

:iagree: :cheers2:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I know zero about reddit.

That said, I would like to ask (and from what's been said about them I would guess...) are they completely leftist?

If so, I would think it easy to simply not participate where conservatives aren't welcome.

The other day my wife was looking at Yahoo and then so did I. It's filled with leftist garbage, i.e., loathsome rhetoric aimed at Conservatives, Trump, et al.

I won't bother looking at their site again - when I come across anti-conservative, anti-gun, I avoid them from then on.

I know, I won't change their minds regarding anything involving logic. Avoiding them helps keep me old blood pressure under control...

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Abraham wrote:
That said, I would like to ask (and from what's been said about them I would guess...) are they completely leftist?
The company itself probably is however each subreddit is its own community. You will find a subreddit for practically anything. We could go start one right now dedicated to the Texas CHL Forum.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

SQLGeek,

How soon after a pro-gun subreddit forum was started would either censorship or a complete ban of that 'sub' would it take to occur or do you think they'd allow such a thing to even come to fruition to begin with?

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

There are several on there now including a general guns one and one for AR15s. They are both very active and I peruse the AR15 one from time to time. These subreddits are administered by a group of admins specific to the subreddit so it will vary from place to place. As far as I know, the specific people that administer a subreddit are not appointed by the company Reddit itself.

Return to “Off-Topic”