VA announces rollout and application process for new Veterans ID Card

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

VA announces rollout and application process for new Veterans ID Card

Post by Pawpaw »

For anyone who served honorably, but does not have a retired ID card, this will prove your veteran status to get discounts from various places. Much easier than carrying your DD-214.

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/43442/ ... s-id-card/
VA has announced that the application process for the national Veterans Identification Card (VIC) is now available for Veterans — yet another action honoring their service.

This has been mandated through legislation since 2015 to honor Veterans, and today’s rollout of the ID card fulfills that overdue promise.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

DocV
Posts in topic: 1

Re: VA announces rollout and application process for new Veterans ID Card

Post by DocV »

Thanks Pawpaw. I have been wondering when the VA would start making cards available.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

DocV wrote:Thanks Pawpaw. I have been wondering when the VA would start making cards available.
I just tried to apply and the site said come back in 24 hours due to high volume of apps. :patriot:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Already had a VA health id for over 20 years
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I have one of those and I've had a retired military ID for over 23 years.

There are lots of people on this forum who served, but don't have either. This is for them.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

thelurker

Post by thelurker »

Just ordered my ID. OP, thanks for posting this. Lost my original ID years ago.
TSRA Life Member/NRA Endowment Member/Veteran

SHogun62

Post by SHogun62 »

Thank You for posting this. While I wait for the page to load, I do want to also point out that vets can take a copy of their 214 to a local DMV, and have their veteran status also put on their DLs, as well as on their CCLs by submitting with their applications. I'm sure this is common knowledge, but in the event anyone didn't know, now you do.

rotor

Post by rotor »

So, after going through all of that including sending a picture of my DL I get

We couldn’t find your records with that information.
Please call the Vets.gov Help Desk at 1-855-574-7286, TTY: 1-800-877-8339. We're open Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. (ET).

I think I will just use my DL and LTC to prove veteran status. I appreciate the post though. I wish the government couldn't find my records when it comes to paying taxes.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Is there an advantage to getting a veterans card if you have a DD-214 filed away and Veteran marked on your license?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TexDotCom

Post by TexDotCom »

I tried to apply but apparently, a la healthcare.gov, the application portion of the site has crashed due to volume. Allegedly I will receive an e-mail when the form is available again.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

TexDotCom wrote:I tried to apply but apparently, a la healthcare.gov, the application portion of the site has crashed due to volume. Allegedly I will receive an e-mail when the form is available again.
Same here. Hopefully it'll be back up and online soon. This is a lot easier than using a DD214.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

stash

Post by stash »

Read this morning on a military website that the program has been suspended due to the volume of applications and apparently some technical problems.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

txglock21
Posts in topic: 4

Post by txglock21 »

pbwalker wrote:
TexDotCom wrote:I tried to apply but apparently, a la healthcare.gov, the application portion of the site has crashed due to volume. Allegedly I will receive an e-mail when the form is available again.
Same here. Hopefully it'll be back up and online soon. This is a lot easier than using a DD214.
Yep, same here. STILL waiting for an email reply. I'm not holding my breath though....this is the VA. Sorry, for the negativity, but just an other bad experience when dealing with the VA. :banghead:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Is there an advantage to having this card over having "VETERAN" printed on our license?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

txglock21
Posts in topic: 4

Post by txglock21 »

Liberty wrote:Is there an advantage to having this card over having "VETERAN" printed on our license?
I don't know for sure, but I have had issues with a few places like Home Depot refuse the DL or LTC w/ veteran saying they needed "something" from the military ie..DD214. I know it sounds silly, but maybe it's more "official". :headscratch
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Return to “Off-Topic”