Sling Shot recommendation

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Sling Shot recommendation

Post by C-dub »

I'm in town and seem to have way more than my share of squirrels in our yard. I'm sure the city would frown on me shooting them with just about any type of firearm and have been considering trying a sling shot. It would also be something I could easily conceal from my wife. She's not too keen on the idea of me shooting the squirrels, so even a pellet rifle would be problematic. I think I could get by easier with a sling shot since it would be quieter and I could stuff it into a pocket easier to hide.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've seen a bunch online and a few in stores, but after reading quite a bit online it seems like most of the ones in stores aren't very well liked. At least the ones with the wrist brace and all. It seems like simpler is better in this area according to the internet "experts." What do ya'll think?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

curryman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sling Shot recommendation

Post by curryman »

I use this one:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/daisy% ... tid=629708

To appease my wife I shoot them with paintballs. Puts a pretty good thump on them and they have to clean up after. Took about two months to train those tree rats to stay outta my yard and peach trees. Had about a three year lull until the trained ones were replaced with new ones. The shooting has started again.

I started with a pellet gun and only shot males. Didn't help.

Curryman

rotor

Post by rotor »

tyree

Post by tyree »

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

curryman wrote:I use this one:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/daisy% ... tid=629708

To appease my wife I shoot them with paintballs. Puts a pretty good thump on them and they have to clean up after. Took about two months to train those tree rats to stay outta my yard and peach trees. Had about a three year lull until the trained ones were replaced with new ones. The shooting has started again.

I started with a pellet gun and only shot males. Didn't help.

Curryman
My son and his family, and my wife and I recently all bought a big house together and are now living under one roof. The day we started to move in, we found a dead squirrel in a planter under a tree next to the back fence. It had been there for a while and was beginning to mummify. We threw it out. A month later, we found two more under the same tree in the same spot. I’m pretty sure that the person who lives behind us is shooting them, and dropping them into my yard. If I find another one, I’m going to toss it over the fence with a note attached.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

Ancillary to my bow building, I used to be pretty deep into the world of slingshot. Commercially, in the slingshot world, these guys are the better recommends. That's not saying a whole lot as simple a weapon as they are, but they do carry a high reputation among enthusiasts: https://simple-shot.com/

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

You can shoot them with the hard dog food too. It doesn’t kill them but it will hit them hard enough so that they will avoid you. I used to have an oak tree in my front yard and would shoot dog food at the squirrels to keep them away. Pellet rifles and B.B. guns are illegal in Friendswood and I have houses in close proximity to mine so I didn’t want to hit a car or break a window with the large ball bearings out of the sling shot. It got to the point where they would take off across the street when they heard my front door open after hitting them a few times with dog food.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

What about Airsoft guns?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Archery1 wrote:Ancillary to my bow building, I used to be pretty deep into the world of slingshot. Commercially, in the slingshot world, these guys are the better recommends. That's not saying a whole lot as simple a weapon as they are, but they do carry a high reputation among enthusiasts: https://simple-shot.com/
That’s pretty cool stuff! Questions....

1) Is the Sling Bow capable of taking game bigger than anything you’d normally kill with a slingshot?
2) If so, would that Sling Bow be subject to all the usual bow-hunting regs, or ...
3) Are they illegal for hunting at all?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Archery1 wrote:Ancillary to my bow building, I used to be pretty deep into the world of slingshot. Commercially, in the slingshot world, these guys are the better recommends. That's not saying a whole lot as simple a weapon as they are, but they do carry a high reputation among enthusiasts: https://simple-shot.com/
I've seen that Scout before during my searches. It looks good. I was hoping to find one in a local store, but so far haven't.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

What do you guys have against squirrels? Not being sarcastic....just curious?
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

mrvmax wrote:You can shoot them with the hard dog food too. It doesn’t kill them but it will hit them hard enough so that they will avoid you. I used to have an oak tree in my front yard and would shoot dog food at the squirrels to keep them away. Pellet rifles and B.B. guns are illegal in Friendswood and I have houses in close proximity to mine so I didn’t want to hit a car or break a window with the large ball bearings out of the sling shot. It got to the point where they would take off across the street when they heard my front door open after hitting them a few times with dog food.
I don't like the idea of the little steel balls very much just from the standpoint of losing them so easily. I thought I'd use little rocks like gravel or something. I like the idea of using dog food. My dogs might not appreciate it as much. However, if I knock a squirrel down for them they might like that.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

RicoTX wrote:What do you guys have against squirrels? Not being sarcastic....just curious?
Furry tailed little rats! They get into the attic. They eat the bird see my wife puts out for the birds. My dogs bark at them as they stay just out of reach, while my wife is trying to sleep. She works at night in her hospital.

We haven't had this problem yet, but for some folks they get into the engine bay of vehicles and chew up the wires for some reason.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

A bit more than I'm looking for, but really cool!

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

C-dub wrote:
RicoTX wrote:What do you guys have against squirrels? Not being sarcastic....just curious?
Furry tailed little rats! They get into the attic. They eat the bird see my wife puts out for the birds. My dogs bark at them as they stay just out of reach, while my wife is trying to sleep. She works at night in her hospital.

We haven't had this problem yet, but for some folks they get into the engine bay of vehicles and chew up the wires for some reason.

Never been a fan of squirrels, $482 later, I'm REALLY not a fan. The mechanic that fixed the wiring in my car SAYS he doesn't
like them, but I'm not so sure.

:txflag: :patriot:

Return to “Off-Topic”