CA: No place but California

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

OneGun
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CA: No place but California

Post by OneGun »

philip964 wrote:California really needs its own thread.

http://ucsdguardian.org/2017/11/15/stud ... sues-ucsd/

California student, sues UC San Diego after she was hit by a car on I-5 after she tried to stop traffic during a election night protest of Trump's victory. She feels the University should have stopped the protest before it got out of control and she decided to stop traffic on a busy interstate highway.

Defense attorney asked her if her parents taught her not to play in the street when she was a child.
You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Social Justice Zone!
:blowup
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

ScottDLS wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:My first Computer had no hard drive...lol. The 5.25 inch floppies would hold 144kb of data unless you splurged on the high density ones that would hold 1.2 Mb...lol. I have web resolution images that won't fit on one of those...lol...
I always wanted a Radio Shack TRS-80 with a cassette tape drive and 4K of RAM for $599 in 1978 dollars, a mere $2367 in today's dollars.

Man that Zilog Z-80 processor was screamin' with a 1.7Mhz rate. Only 2000 times slower than today's typical CPU. And 4,000,000 times less memory.

:biggrinjester:
I had one. Took forever to load a program with the cassette drive. The contacts connecting everything needed to be cleaned all the time as they were not gold plated (or whatever). Electric pencil worked great.
I had an IBM PC and still have the original DOS manual and disks. I remember buying and installing a hard drive, 20 megabyte for $1,000 and wow did that thing scream. Who would ever need more than 20 megabytes?

rotor

Post by rotor »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
rotor wrote:I remember a different California. Gun stores like in the movie Terminator. Watch out Texas, it could happen here.
My first experience with computers was punch cards too. I believe it was an IBM 1401. You had to schedule time to use it.
Sure you're not thinking of the OTHER 'Arnold movie', "Commando"? Now THAT was a gun store!
Yeah that was great. I used to go to a gun store in Pasadena and that was one huge gun store and it was great. California was nice in those days (early 60's). Who would believe the change? I fear for Texas too.

apostate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by apostate »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
rotor wrote:I remember a different California. Gun stores like in the movie Terminator. Watch out Texas, it could happen here.
My first experience with computers was punch cards too. I believe it was an IBM 1401. You had to schedule time to use it.
Sure you're not thinking of the OTHER 'Arnold movie', "Commando"? Now THAT was a gun store!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JJRLoGYtkEM

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

Ahhh, what a trip down memory lane with all the first/old computer talk.

I worked/learned on TRS-80's "trash 80's" in school and since my dad was a programmer/systems analyst for IBM back then we had an original IBM PC when they fist cam out. I did several term papers and other writing assignments on it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bobby

Post by bobby »

Bitter Clinger wrote:I used punch cards. :grumble

beat ya! TTY tape "rlol"
:txflag:

bobby

Post by bobby »

rotor wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:My first Computer had no hard drive...lol. The 5.25 inch floppies would hold 144kb of data unless you splurged on the high density ones that would hold 1.2 Mb...lol. I have web resolution images that won't fit on one of those...lol...
I always wanted a Radio Shack TRS-80 with a cassette tape drive and 4K of RAM for $599 in 1978 dollars, a mere $2367 in today's dollars.

Man that Zilog Z-80 processor was screamin' with a 1.7Mhz rate. Only 2000 times slower than today's typical CPU. And 4,000,000 times less memory.

:biggrinjester:
I had one. Took forever to load a program with the cassette drive. The contacts connecting everything needed to be cleaned all the time as they were not gold plated (or whatever). Electric pencil worked great.
I had an IBM PC and still have the original DOS manual and disks. I remember buying and installing a hard drive, 20 megabyte for $1,000 and wow did that thing scream. Who would ever need more than 20 megabytes?
yeah thats what was said about the Kypro 10
:anamatedbanana
:txflag:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I started off with an Atari 8 bit system. I expanded the computer with an MIO which expanded memory from 64 K into 4 Meg Which could be used like a high speed hard drive, I was able to add some Real hard drives for what was at the time an incredible 70 MegaBytes. Created and went online with the BBS "The Lost Byte" Took some computer courses and learned some programming

Those of us who were active in ths during the 70's and 80's got to learn at a level seldom achieved today. We many of which were non-degreed and self-taught were patching operating systems and designing hardware. It was this hobbyist stage which built what turned out to be a very rewarding career.

Today I think that the same opportunities exist to explore a blend of software and hardware developement with the Atmel and Arduino If we can teach our children that computers is more than about games but is about washing machines, TV remotes and microwave too.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

Back to the lawsuit. I don't believe that such a case is limited to Commiefornia

In the late 90s, I was picked from a jury pool to hear a civil case in Ft. Worth. The Plaintiff had slipped on a quarter sized piece of melon rind on a shopping cart ramp at a supermarket on a busy Friday night, injuring her back. Her lawyer claimed that she was due damages for medical bills plus pain and suffering but never brought up an amount ($50K) until closing arguments
1. Her husband had walked over the same area a few seconds before she did and told her to watch her step
2. The store only sold melons whole - no evidence was presented as to how the melon had gotten from a whole state to the small piece as part of the store's suggested negligence
3. The woman claimed that her back problem was entirely due to her fall but had a history of other doctors who treated her for back problems including giving her a "tens" unit. She had gone to a different doctor for this trial.

The trial lasted 3.5 days so there was a lot of emotional testimony about the woman's condition. When the jury retired to deliberate, we took an initial poll and more than half of anonymous ballots were for giving her money. I told them I would gladly go along with a cash award - as long as we could give the store's money to 100 patients at John Peter Smith hospital, too. I refused to budge off that stance until they proved to me why she deserved the money more than the JPS patients did. In less than 2 hours later, we presented a unanimous verdict for the defendant - no monetary award. The judge, assuming that the deliberations were going to be lengthy, had gone home so another judge was called in to preside over the jury verdict.

Needless to say, I've never served on a civil jury since. :biggrinjester:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 13

Post by crazy2medic »

Back to the lawsuit. I don't believe that such a case is limited to Commiefornia

In the late 90s, I was picked from a jury pool to hear a civil case in Ft. Worth. The Plaintiff had slipped on a quarter sized piece of melon rind on a shopping cart ramp at a supermarket on a busy Friday night, injuring her back. Her lawyer claimed that she was due damages for medical bills plus pain and suffering but never brought up an amount ($50K) until closing arguments
1. Her husband had walked over the same area a few seconds before she did and told her to watch her step
2. The store only sold melons whole - no evidence was presented as to how the melon had gotten from a whole state to the small piece as part of the store's suggested negligence
3. The woman claimed that her back problem was entirely due to her fall but had a history of other doctors who treated her for back problems including giving her a "tens" unit. She had gone to a different doctor for this trial.

The trial lasted 3.5 days so there was a lot of emotional testimony about the woman's condition. When the jury retired to deliberate, we took an initial poll and more than half of anonymous ballots were for giving her money. I told them I would gladly go along with a cash award - as long as we could give the store's money to 100 patients at John Peter Smith hospital, too. I refused to budge off that stance until they proved to me why she deserved the money more than the JPS patients did. In less than 2 hours later, we presented a unanimous verdict for the defendant - no monetary award. The judge, assuming that the deliberations were going to be lengthy, had gone home so another judge was called in to preside over the jury verdict.

Needless to say, I've never served on a civil jury since. :biggrinjester:[/quote]
:iagree: :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Marshal »

Back when I was a wee lad growing up in Campbell CA (Suburb of San Jose) Dad would take us to this restaurant a 1/2 mile from the house.
Now, they had a jukebox and I played the snot out of several songs (American Pie, Maggie May, Take me Home)
But what amazed me more than the jukebox, up by the register the glass counter was not filled with pies (they were in glass case behind it), no sir, it was FIREARMS! Yep! ALL KINDS of wheel guns. And I will NEVER forget the most expensive one that I could touch.
A triangular hand guard, FULL AUTO M16 (maybe A1) for something like $600. (May have been $1400)
I used to run to the counter after putting on John Denver and then gaze at that guns.

HA! Imagine in California, you go to get a burger and on the way out pickup a Full Auto M16 as an after dinner treat.

Praise God Dad moved us to East Texas in the winter of 1978.....

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The Marshal wrote:Back when I was a wee lad growing up in Campbell CA (Suburb of San Jose) Dad would take us to this restaurant a 1/2 mile from the house.
Now, they had a jukebox and I played the snot out of several songs (American Pie, Maggie May, Take me Home)
But what amazed me more than the jukebox, up by the register the glass counter was not filled with pies (they were in glass case behind it), no sir, it was FIREARMS! Yep! ALL KINDS of wheel guns. And I will NEVER forget the most expensive one that I could touch.
A triangular hand guard, FULL AUTO M16 (maybe A1) for something like $600. (May have been $1400)
I used to run to the counter after putting on John Denver and then gaze at that guns.

HA! Imagine in California, you go to get a burger and on the way out pickup a Full Auto M16 as an after dinner treat.

Praise God Dad moved us to East Texas in the winter of 1978.....
California isn't the only state that has shifted so radically to a no guns policy.
I moved to Texas in '88 from the people's republic of Massachusetts. In Mass I had a both an FID and a Pistol Permit. The FID card was supposed to be a forever thing and the Pistol permit allowed both open and concealed carry. The state proudly proclaimed that they had the strictest handgun laws in the country, attributable to the fact that there was a 1 year mandatory jail sentence for unlicenced carry. The thing was that it was possible for ordinary citizens to carry. I was not allowed to carry a handgun in Texas except under some very arbitrary conditions. Things have changed!! Today most commonly styled guns are restricted or outright illegal, while in Texas our carry laws are considered to be progressive.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

I poked around a bit trying to find where a judge had thrown this junk out, but I guess it's still too early.

BTW, this thread might have the quickest thread drift I've seen. It only took three responses before it took a HARD turn.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I still have my TI99 4/A. Wow. 16kb memory and built-in BASIC. My claim to fame: I once wrote a 1,000 line BASIC program. :thumbs2: I remember a salesman's facial expression when I asked if it had an "rs-232 interface."
-Ruark

Return to “Off-Topic”