Not watching the Superbowl

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


stroo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1641
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Coppell

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#46

Post by stroo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:02 pm

I decided to boycott the NFL this year. Really doesn't mean much though since I haven't watched more that a couple of quarters of NFL per year, other than Thanksgivng, for 20 years. I did not not watch on Thanksgiving this year though!

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 23670
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#47

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:10 pm

montgomery wrote:
AndyC wrote:#StillNotWatching
#me-too

"rlol"
#BeatMeToIt
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


2farnorth
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: Leonard, Tx

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#48

Post by 2farnorth » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:03 am

I had lost interest in the NFL in the early 2000s. Only time I see any NFL is if it's on in a restaurant. I've heard about the current "Kneeling" crap and just hang my head in further disgust
N5PNZ

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 10657
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#49

Post by Oldgringo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:09 am

I've not watched a single minute of NFL football this season; however, we are invited to a Superbowl party at a friend's house tomorrow evening and unless I miss my guess, their TV will be on. :grumble

User avatar

couzin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 7:12 pm
Location: Terrell, Texas

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#50

Post by couzin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:48 am

Not watching any NFL football! Two reasons, the protests, and that the NFL has lost touch with its fan base and now is catering to the younger, millennial crowd in everything they do. Business is business I guess, but I will spent my dollars elsewhere.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7819
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#51

Post by Abraham » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Oldgringo,

Go to the party and enjoy yourself.

You're not obligated to watch tv and if questioned about your lack of interest may provide a great opportunity to vent (with gentility of course, considering your host) your perspective toward the players and the league owners who allow their employees to act as they do...

Of course, hypothetically it's easy for me to sound like Ms. Manners, but I'd have a very difficult time holding back how "I really feel" about these dirtbag players and league owners!

User avatar

Lena
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:51 pm
Location: Cash Texas

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#52

Post by Lena » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:32 pm

I usually have friends and neighbors over most Sundays and cook here, the TV is usually on it will NOT be on any football for sure, I have no interest anyway in it, the fishing channel will be on though, hopefully if lucky a 3 Stooges Marathon. Dogs and guns also welcome. I only have 2 rules you cause an issue your gone right then, all stay and clean up unless you physically cant they your promoted to boss of clean up crew. All have a job.
Tomorrow's meal just chosen. meatloaf, roasted corn on cob, home made bread of some kind, mac and cheese and salad, all expected to bring something, we can shoot in back yard.
Stay Safe

User avatar

LDB415
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 983
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:01 am
Location: Houston south suburb

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#53

Post by LDB415 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:37 pm

I had a friend who was a dog handler in Vietnam. Everyone called him "Old Sarge". We'd meet on Tuesdays for lunch, anywhere from 4-5 to sometimes 9-10 of us depending on who could go, not every Tuesday but most of them if he felt like it. I only had the privilege of knowing him the last couple of years of his life. I suspect he wouldn't have been watching any football. I'm glad he and my dad never had to know about this foolishness.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 9410
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#54

Post by carlson1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:01 pm

LDB415 wrote:I had a friend who was a dog handler in Vietnam. Everyone called him "Old Sarge". We'd meet on Tuesdays for lunch, anywhere from 4-5 to sometimes 9-10 of us depending on who could go, not every Tuesday but most of them if he felt like it. I only had the privilege of knowing him the last couple of years of his life. I suspect he wouldn't have been watching any football. I'm glad he and my dad never had to know about this foolishness.
In my opinion it is not foolishness is total disrespect to our Country and veterans. If they feel so oppressed move to a 3rd world country.
Image

User avatar

Rhino1
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: Smithson Valley (Comal County)

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#55

Post by Rhino1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Never been a basketball fan, do like baseball but Dish Network hasn’t carried the Astros in several years, so look forward to football every year. Big fan of the Texans, College (especially my Aggies) and been a season ticket holder of the local high schools in my last two towns. Turned on first Texans game this season against (ironic name) the Patriots. Saw the kneeling protest. Put on my running shoes, went out the door, haven’t watch an NFL game all season, and .... haven’t missed it one bit.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.


1911 Raptor
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:56 am

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#56

Post by 1911 Raptor » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:08 pm

1st amendments rights do not give you the right to protest on your employers dime. If you wanna protest and exercise your right call a news conference and do it on your front yard, but then I suspect they wouldn’t have a national audience like they do while earning a paycheck on their owners dime. I hear next the the owners have decided to keep the players in the locker room until after the National Anthem. Instead of forcing their employees to do what is right they are going to just take them out of the picture. If this is true I still won’t be watching them play. The owners are the ones at fault for not laying down the law.


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6115
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#57

Post by philip964 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:08 pm

1911 Raptor wrote:The owners are the ones at fault for not laying down the law.
My view is that a majority of the owners are either are afraid of the players or agree with them. Otherwise it would have been stopped day one. Imagine if the first time the former player did this he got a one game suspension and a $10,000 fine. Your exactly right do it on your own time.


Ruark
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1042
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#58

Post by Ruark » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Lena wrote:I have not watched a game since Tom Landry left and do not intend to.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
-Ruark

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 10657
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#59

Post by Oldgringo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:46 pm

1911 Raptor wrote:1st amendments rights do not give you the right to protest on your employers dime. If you wanna protest and exercise your right call a news conference and do it on your front yard, but then I suspect they wouldn’t have a national audience like they do while earning a paycheck on their owners dime. I hear next the the owners have decided to keep the players in the locker room until after the National Anthem. Instead of forcing their employees to do what is right they are going to just take them out of the picture. If this is true I still won’t be watching them play. The owners are the ones at fault for not laying down the law.
Your last sentence says it all..... :patriot:

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 5972
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Not watching the Superbowl

#60

Post by Pawpaw » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:51 pm

Oldgringo wrote:
1911 Raptor wrote:1st amendments rights do not give you the right to protest on your employers dime. If you wanna protest and exercise your right call a news conference and do it on your front yard, but then I suspect they wouldn’t have a national audience like they do while earning a paycheck on their owners dime. I hear next the the owners have decided to keep the players in the locker room until after the National Anthem. Instead of forcing their employees to do what is right they are going to just take them out of the picture. If this is true I still won’t be watching them play. The owners are the ones at fault for not laying down the law.
Your last sentence says it all..... :patriot:
:iagree:

Can you imagine Tex Schramm and Tom Landry putting up with that bull? Yea, me neither.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”