You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


strogg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: DFW (Denton County)

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#16

Post by strogg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:14 am

I ended up going to a work-sponsored party yesterday evening. A whole bunch of people I haven't see in years showed up. I mingled, talked, etc. It was fun. At some point during the event, I hear the national anthem play, so I stood, took off my cap, and stood in solemn silence until it was over. I'm not sure what was playing on the screen after that; I paid no attention to it.


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7810
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#17

Post by Abraham » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:33 am

I wouldn't sully my eyes watching a bunch overpaid America haters 'play' a game.


Hot Dawg
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Friendswood,Tx

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#18

Post by Hot Dawg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 am

The only thing I missed was dinner time with the wife, was having to much fun at the range.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3400
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#19

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:11 am

bblhd672 wrote:
Scott B. wrote::patriot:

What a game!! Outcome in question until the final seconds. Great contest.

Only question is how much of Philadelphia will need renovation tomorrow? :evil2:

- Posted from my Pixel 2
Another reason to despise the NFL as “fans” in Philadelphia destroyed business, personal and city property. A report I read mischaracterized the people involved in looting as “fans” instead of criminals.
Thugs will be thugs. They don't really need an excuse.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 4211
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#20

Post by ScottDLS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:53 am

strogg wrote:I ended up going to a work-sponsored party yesterday evening. A whole bunch of people I haven't see in years showed up. I mingled, talked, etc. It was fun. At some point during the event, I hear the national anthem play, so I stood, took off my cap, and stood in solemn silence until it was over. I'm not sure what was playing on the screen after that; I paid no attention to it.
When I was in the military, we were told that you aren't generally supposed to render honors (salute, stand at attention, etc.) to the Anthem played on television or radio. I think the point was there is no actual flag present to which you're supposed to render honors. I certainly wouldn't take offense to someone who chose to, but I wouldn't necessarily participate as I would if I were at the game in person... :tiphat:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

G26ster
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2434
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: DFW

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#21

Post by G26ster » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:14 pm

ScottDLS wrote: I think the point was there is no actual flag present to which you're supposed to render honors.
Probably a matter of interpretation, but here's what the U.S. Code says:

United States Code Title 36
§301. National anthem

a. Designation. — The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

b. Conduct During Playing — During rendition of the national anthem —
1. when the flag is displayed —
A. individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
B. members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
C. all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
2. when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

User avatar

Pariah3j
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:03 pm
Location: Webster

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#22

Post by Pariah3j » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 pm

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#23

Post by Lynyrd » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:24 pm

So I missed some jocks and probably some felons chasing each other around a field and slamming each other to the ground all the while getting worked up over where a man in a striped shirt placed a leather ball on the ground. I guess I also missed being potentially influenced by advertisers who pay millions of dollars that ends up in said jocks/felons pockets and which millions are funded by John Q. Public when he buys the products from those advertisers.

Yawn......., yeah, I almost feel deprived. :biggrinjester:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 4211
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#24

Post by ScottDLS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:51 pm

G26ster wrote:
ScottDLS wrote: I think the point was there is no actual flag present to which you're supposed to render honors.
Probably a matter of interpretation, but here's what the U.S. Code says:

United States Code Title 36
§301. National anthem

a. Designation. — The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

b. Conduct During Playing — During rendition of the national anthem —
1. when the flag is displayed —
A. individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
B. members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
C. all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
2. when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.
I also think this is for when it is played over the speaker particularly for the location where the event or honor guard is taking place, even in absence of flag. If you're at a bar or pass somebody playing Anthem on a portable radio walking down the street, or it happens to be playing during a movie as part of the scene; I don't think the intent is for you to stand up an salute while you block your fellow pedestrians, bar patrons, or movie goers... :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 23664
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#25

Post by The Annoyed Man » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:25 pm

I love that movie!
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

Topic author
Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1022
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#26

Post by Scott B. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:40 pm

Office Space is a classic!

On the game and the NFL. Yes, there are some bad stories in the NFL, but there are also many more great stories.

What does the game MVP, Eagles backup quarterback Nick Foles plan to do when football is over? Be a pastor at a christian school.
LTC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, RSO, Life Member.
Sig armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1735
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#27

Post by flechero » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Scott B. wrote:
What does the game MVP, Eagles backup quarterback Nick Foles plan to do when football is over? Be a pastor at a christian school.
My wife found that story... and he's a Texas boy! (from Westlake by Austin!)

He's certainly one to wish great success upon!! (on and off the field)


treadlightly
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#28

Post by treadlightly » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Super Bowl 30 was interesting, although I thought it was a hoax at first - and maybe it was.

Before the NFL grabbed it up, somebody registered the domain superbowlxxx.com and put a one-page web site there advertising the presumably XXX rated International Gay Bowlers Association. The NFL was not appreciative.

I didn't see the game, but I remember reading about the domain name war. I don't think the NFL was LGBTLSMFT friendly back in '95.

User avatar

Take Down Sicko
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 607
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:01 pm
Location: Houston Tx
Contact:

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#29

Post by Take Down Sicko » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:13 pm

I had more fun watching my toe nails grow for three hours than i ever would have had watching nfl.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 23664
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

#30

Post by The Annoyed Man » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:09 am

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Cowb ... 54023.html
Robert Clyde Drew, beloved husband, father, and Papa, drew his last breath January 25, 2018, mainly, we suspect, to prevent himself from having to watch the Patriots and Eagles in the Superbowl. A loyal Cowboys fan, he died peacefully with his daughter by his side, knowing full well that Dez, did, in fact, catch the ball.
Easily one of the best obituaries I’ve ever read. :lol:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”