Shake Down on the Bus

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


talltex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:40 pm
Location: Waco area

Re: Shake Down on the Bus

#16

Post by talltex » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:47 am

Lot's of things get seized that stretch the intentions of the law. For the last couple of years the Sheriff's department in Waco has been running prostitution "sting" operations regularly where they set up in motels with deputies placing ads on Craigslist and setting up appointments to meet for sex. The "johns" that show up are arrested and charged with solicitation--a misdemeanor offense-- but they have been confiscating the "perps" vehicles using the justification that they were involved in a "human trafficking" operation. That is a pretty big stretch to me, since there was not actually anyone engaging in any sexual activity. The department auctions off the seized vehicles and keeps the cash. In one recent sting they confiscated 17 vehicles over a weekend operation--that's a pretty big payday even if the vehicles only averaged $3-4 grand each. I don't believe that was the intent of the statute. On 2/19/18, after a 4 week undercover sting operation, the department announced they were ranked 5th in the U.S. for # of prostitution arrests during their "john's suppression initiative".
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

User avatar

RogueUSMC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1444
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 pm
Location: Smith County
Contact:

Re: Shake Down on the Bus

#17

Post by RogueUSMC » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 am

you know? If my name was 'John'...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001


stash
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:04 am
Location: Woodcreek

Re: Shake Down on the Bus

#18

Post by stash » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 am

Am I correct in thinking, if you have 10K or less in your possession and have done nothing wrong are you good to go?
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 3400
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Shake Down on the Bus

#19

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:45 am

stash wrote:Am I correct in thinking, if you have 10K or less in your possession and have done nothing wrong are you good to go?
No, you are not correct in that thinking. Here is a little light reading for you.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/12/taken

Most cases involve less than $10,000 in cash and seizures can include other assets. If your son sells $20 worth of drugs to a friend in his room, you can lose your house. If you violate a minor traffic law (driving in the left lane in the case of the above article), you get a choice of losing all your cash or having your kids taken away from you. Anyone who tells you that we don't need the second amendment is either corrupt or stupid.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


BBYC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Shake Down on the Bus

#20

Post by BBYC » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:32 pm

People who have less to steal probably have less resources to hire a lawyer to contest the theft in court. Most bullies are cowards at heart after all.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.


MechAg94
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1584
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: Shake Down on the Bus

#21

Post by MechAg94 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:40 am

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
stash wrote:Am I correct in thinking, if you have 10K or less in your possession and have done nothing wrong are you good to go?
No, you are not correct in that thinking. Here is a little light reading for you.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/12/taken

Most cases involve less than $10,000 in cash and seizures can include other assets. If your son sells $20 worth of drugs to a friend in his room, you can lose your house. If you violate a minor traffic law (driving in the left lane in the case of the above article), you get a choice of losing all your cash or having your kids taken away from you. Anyone who tells you that we don't need the second amendment is either corrupt or stupid.
I really hate articles that force you to skip multiple paragraphs to finally get to the point. I don't need the entire life history of the people involved.

Sounds like the first lesson for the rest of us is NEVER give consent for a search. After that, NEVER sign anything just to avoid jail or other threats. It WILL be used against you in court later whether criminal or civil.

Other than that, it sounds like the modern day speed trap. Wonder if any of our noble state legislators would be willing to introduce a bill barring state and local police from doing it.

User avatar

spectre
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Shake Down on the Bus

#22

Post by spectre » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:45 am

MechAg94 wrote:Other than that, it sounds like the modern day speed trap. Wonder if any of our noble state legislators would be willing to introduce a bill barring state and local police from doing it.
A speed trap usually doesn't ticket people who aren't speeding. This is more like a modern day highwayman.
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society,
over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it
and a moral code that glorifies it. - Frédéric Bastiat

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”