Pellet Grills

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
clarionite
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: Pellet Grills

#16

Post by clarionite » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:08 pm

flechero wrote:I've had 3 different pellet grills and all 3 of my brothers & Father have them as well. Best, without question is Yoder, but they are expensive. They are also made of hvy steel instead of sheet metal so they recover almost instantly. Traeger is good, as is Green Mountain. I like digital controls, not the 5 position dial. Way more versatile. I am not familiar with the pit boss grills but that doesn't mean anything. (I saw a nice review when I googled them) I'd check and see if you can upgrade the controller to the digital. (it looks like a traeger controller so you may be able to swap with traeger parts.

Pellets can be expensive- we group buy a couple times a year and have a pallet shipped in. Our price that way is usually $12-$13 per 40lb bag... as opposed to $15-$18 per 20 lb bag locally!

I love cooking outdoors!
With the temperature swing I'm guessing it's an Ortech, not a PID. There are aftermarket upgrades to put a PID on it. But in reading the reviews it looks like the Ortech might actually provide more smoke. I'm a fan of the heavier smoke flavor when I do brisket.

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 16543
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Pellet Grills

#17

Post by WildBill » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:02 pm

I don't have any experience with pellet smokers, but I did buy a Masterbuilt propane smoker.
It was cheap, about $120, and worked well except that within two years it rusted out to the point it was not safe to use.
I haven't replaced it yet.
NRA Endowment Member


Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: Pellet Grills

#18

Post by Richbirdhunter » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 pm

clarionite wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:I’ve seen a few pellet grills in use and they do a good job, I use an XL big green egg with a flame boss 300. I can cook low and slow or grill hot and fast with the added bonus of controlling cook temps from my phone. If I’m doing a brisket overnight and something goes wrong I get a text message that wakes me up. I believe the the egg is way more versatile than a pellet cooker
I may get a Flame Boss for my offset smoker also... Looks like a great accessory. I take it you're pleased with yours.
How long have you had it?

I got it for Father’s Day last year. It’s a fantastic piece of technology, you can change cooking temps from your phone when the meat hits the set temperature it shutdown and keeps the egg at 100 degrees. I can’t brag enough about how good this product works
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1476
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: Pellet Grills

#19

Post by twomillenium » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:51 pm

I have had the Rec Tec 680 about 6 years. I used to have a large wood burning smoker that I enjoyed working with but when people started dropping of their briskets and butts to be picked up when they're done and not hang around, it became too much like work. So I bought a Rec Tec, it has heat control at 5 degree intervals, a large pellet hopper and even temps.
BTW if you check Academy they regularly clear their pellets for 6-8 bucks per 40 lb bag. I stock up and they work just fine.
I also quit frying Turkeys and use the Big Easy oil-less fryer now. Thanksgiving I smoke a turkey on the Rec Tec and fry one in the Big Easy.
This message was brought to by a man who loves to eat and cook.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Pellet Grills

#20

Post by flechero » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:11 pm

chamberc wrote:Yoder's have inferior controllers and you'll regret the massive temp swings. Over a brisket cook, my RecTec's never vary more than 3-4 degrees, regardless of the weather.
I'll thought so too in the beginning so I spent some time and effort investigating my "over built and under controlled mistake." :lol: Hope this doesn't come off as sounding defensive, but more of a here is what I found....

I ran a separate probe and watch the actual temps (in 3 pellet grills) where the meat is... The controllers & readouts are not all the same and not set to show actual temp at the moment. For example, Yoder temp screen shows a rolling 90 second delayed average not the point actual. My traeger and green mountain showed always show a narrow +/- 10 degree window on the controller (which looked great but wasn't so accurate) the actual temp with a separate probe was much more honest. Plus the factory probes are located back corner where the initial draft flows out from the fire pot... not where the meat is. An extra 20-25 degrees coming out of the heat box (equates to a couple extra pellets dropping) is not a big swing... especially when the probe at the meat holds to about 10 degrees variance. Remember, you have a 1/2" wide crack pushing enough heat through to hold a 3-6 cu ft. space, oven hot.

They all work... well enough that very few cooks could tell a difference. There is more variance in our individual prep and cooking styles than there is in the effect of a 5-15 degree swing for a few minutes in an 10 hour cook. Oh, the zone damper threw me in the beginning... you really can cook at 2 different temps at the same time. I love that versatility, even though I seldom use it as a dual zone.

All this Que talk... I need to go eat lunch!!!! :drool:
:tiphat:

User avatar

chamberc
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:45 pm
Location: Las Colinas

Re: Pellet Grills

#21

Post by chamberc » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:12 pm

I too gave up the Masterbuilt and there is no comparison to a Pellet smoker. The MES has huge temp swings. In a pellet smoker, an auger, a fan, and a PID controller work to keep the firepot smoking and the temperature at exactly the temp you set it. I had the MES for several years and am SO glad to have moved on.

Get a Fireboard as well, it's what I use to confirm temp.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com


Topic author
clarionite
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: Pellet Grills

#22

Post by clarionite » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 pm

I went with the Pitt Boss Austin XL. So far I've done ribs, flank steak and a Brisket.
All three turned out great.
I did have to put the brisket back on for a while, because it wasn't quite done when I took it off. But after the second go around, it turned out perfect.
It's by far the easiest brisket smoke I've done. I may play with the p setting a bit to increase the smoke flavor, or I'll just increase the time I smoke before increasing the heat. But I'm really liking the grill so far.


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Pellet Grills

#23

Post by flechero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Glad you like it! It only gets better as you get accustomed to your grill and how it cooks!

I cooked a few things yesterday... a stuffed and bacon wrapped pork tenderloin, 2 bacon wrapped & stuffed chicken breasts

and a 12oz prime strip (just for me!) :drool:

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 9412
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Pellet Grills

#24

Post by carlson1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:51 pm

clarionite wrote:I went with the Pitt Boss Austin XL. So far I've done ribs, flank steak and a Brisket.
All three turned out great.
I did have to put the brisket back on for a while, because it wasn't quite done when I took it off. But after the second go around, it turned out perfect.
It's by far the easiest brisket smoke I've done. I may play with the p setting a bit to increase the smoke flavor, or I'll just increase the time I smoke before increasing the heat. But I'm really liking the grill so far.
I like to cook my briskets at 225 Degrees. I smoke them for about 6 hours and then wrap them in red butcher paper and cook until internal temp is 200 degrees. Let them set in a dry cooler for about an hour to an hour and half. No seasonings other than salt and pepper the Texas way. :thumbs2:
Image

User avatar

TxRVer
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Red Oak

Re: Pellet Grills

#25

Post by TxRVer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:05 pm

We've had our Traeger for 7 trouble free years and still love it. The cheap pellets at Walmart work fine.
Charlie


JRG
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Altoona, IA

Re: Pellet Grills

#26

Post by JRG » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:23 pm

We've had our Traeger for many years. It has revolutionized our outdoor cooking. We love it! I have only used Traeger pellets, but am glad to know I can try other brands successfully.

Joe


Topic author
clarionite
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: Pellet Grills

#27

Post by clarionite » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:38 am

carlson1 wrote:
clarionite wrote:I went with the Pitt Boss Austin XL. So far I've done ribs, flank steak and a Brisket.
All three turned out great.
I did have to put the brisket back on for a while, because it wasn't quite done when I took it off. But after the second go around, it turned out perfect.
It's by far the easiest brisket smoke I've done. I may play with the p setting a bit to increase the smoke flavor, or I'll just increase the time I smoke before increasing the heat. But I'm really liking the grill so far.
I like to cook my briskets at 225 Degrees. I smoke them for about 6 hours and then wrap them in red butcher paper and cook until internal temp is 200 degrees. Let them set in a dry cooler for about an hour to an hour and half. No seasonings other than salt and pepper the Texas way. :thumbs2:
I smoked at 200 for three hours, then upped to 250. Wrapped when it hit 160, and cooked to 195 at first. It wasn't quite done. Put it back in and cooked to 205 and it was perfectly done.

But I believe I'll smoke for longer next time.

User avatar

tk1700
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:24 pm
Location: Granbury

Re: Pellet Grills

#28

Post by tk1700 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

I have a 6 year old Traeger that has worked excellent. Just saw the new ones at Costco and they have changed the controls slightly. Instead of the smoke setting working on a timer it is temperature based. Sales guy said it keeps the smoke temp 160-180. I've used B and B pellets from Academy for the life of the smoker. They run $11-$12 for a 20# bag. The pelletheads forum has tons of great info. Good luck and enjoy!

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 9412
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Pellet Grills

#29

Post by carlson1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:29 pm

clarionite wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
clarionite wrote:I went with the Pitt Boss Austin XL. So far I've done ribs, flank steak and a Brisket.
All three turned out great.
I did have to put the brisket back on for a while, because it wasn't quite done when I took it off. But after the second go around, it turned out perfect.
It's by far the easiest brisket smoke I've done. I may play with the p setting a bit to increase the smoke flavor, or I'll just increase the time I smoke before increasing the heat. But I'm really liking the grill so far.
I like to cook my briskets at 225 Degrees. I smoke them for about 6 hours and then wrap them in red butcher paper and cook until internal temp is 200 degrees. Let them set in a dry cooler for about an hour to an hour and half. No seasonings other than salt and pepper the Texas way. :thumbs2:
I smoked at 200 for three hours, then upped to 250. Wrapped when it hit 160, and cooked to 195 at first. It wasn't quite done. Put it back in and cooked to 205 and it was perfectly done.

But I believe I'll smoke for longer next time.
I believe wrapping the brisket is called, “The Texas Crutch.” I do prefer the red butcher paper over foil. It seems to stay super moist. I think they are best about 200-220 internal temp. When using my Traeger I always add the A-MAZE-N-TUBE or tray because I like a little more smoke.
Image


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Pellet Grills

#30

Post by flechero » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 pm

carlson1 wrote: I think they are best about 200-220 internal temp.
True, but that's a big range.

My brother (is a chef and a comp bbq cook) taught me to cook brisket to tender not to temp... when the thermapen probe just sides in like butter, it's done. Too much variation in individual briskets to call a specific temp right. Some are done at 200 and others at 210 or more... but the one that would be perfect at 200 is dry at 210.

Carlson, you must be feeling a little better if your posting about BBQ!! :cheers2: Still praying for you, Brother!

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”