Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 29
Posts: 8399
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#91

Post by Abraham » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:39 am

Flightmare,

Thanks!

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 17231
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#92

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:57 am

Flightmare wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Here is and alternative to facebook for those that are interested. Maybe enough people will move over to it so it will be a viable platform. However, it appears quite a few that have set up accounts have done so in addition to their facebook account rather than instead of.

https://mewe.com/values

If you are not interested or don't want to utilize such a platform, then don't.
I was introduced to this a couple weeks ago. Seems nice.
I just signed up for it, but I've done nothing else. I hope this takes off.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 4131
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#93

Post by bblhd672 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:08 am

mojo84 wrote:Here is and alternative to facebook for those that are interested. Maybe enough people will move over to it so it will be a viable platform. However, it appears quite a few that have set up accounts have done so in addition to their facebook account rather than instead of.

https://mewe.com/values

If you are not interested or don't want to utilize such a platform, then don't.
I signed up for MeWe a few weeks ago, but haven't really looked at it.


Topic author
Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 29
Posts: 8399
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#94

Post by Abraham » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:10 am

Can anyone provide detailed information as to why 'mewe' is superior to FB?

Thanks!

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 23
Posts: 8654
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#95

Post by mojo84 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:14 am

Abraham wrote:Can anyone provide detailed information as to why 'mewe' is superior to FB?

Thanks!
I provided a link that discusses the differences. You should review it yourself and decide if it is something you are interested in or not. If not, don't sign up. Sometimes it's better to do your own research and critical thinking instead of relying on others.

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 17231
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#96

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:18 am

Abraham wrote:Can anyone provide detailed information as to why 'mewe' is superior to FB?

Thanks!
Do read the information mojo84 noted to see if you are interested. My hope is that 1) it doesn't censor gun and conservative material; and 2) that it gives YouTube a major competitor in the social media market. When one is the only supplier in any market, you are king of the hill.

Chas.
Image


Topic author
Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 29
Posts: 8399
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#97

Post by Abraham » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:33 am

Oh, and is there a server that 'doesn't constantly log/store where you've been on the net?

I looked at DuckDuckgo.com and in wee tiny letters it said: powered by google, well to be honest, I didn't find it, my wife did, so we're still on the lookout for a server (if such exists...) that doesn't track, log and store everywhere you've visited on the net.

Or should I just accept that to use the internet is to be tracked/logged/info stored for evermore as there's just no getting around it?

Thanks!

Whoops almost posted this without thanking Mojo84 and Charles Cotton.

Will do further research.

Thanks again

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 23
Posts: 8654
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#98

Post by mojo84 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:42 am

Abraham, I use https://www.startpage.com/ as my search engine. While is also uses Google behind the scenes, it is my understanding it blocks my IP address from Google tracking.

However, with that said. It is very difficult to not be tracked by somebody. It takes a lot of work and some IT knowledge. Even then, I am not convinced anything is 100%. If you are on the internet, there is someone watching and tracking. Take for instance, the fact you use a Yahoo email account, opens the door for the liberal yahoo to track much of what you do on the internet. Most websites you go to store cookies and other data on your computer that helps track your activities.

This is why I take such a strong position when someone on the internet calls me a hypocrite for being on the internet. If someone is on the internet, even when the computer is not actively being used, there is data being exchanged.


Topic author
Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 29
Posts: 8399
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#99

Post by Abraham » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:32 pm

mojo84,

Thanks.

I'll discuss this with my wife who is internet, web site, computer guru in these here parts.

Were I single, I would not own anything able to connect me to the web. I'd just go without.

Not because I'm a Luddite, but woefully inadequate with electronic devices...it's a wonder I can even plug in a toaster...

When it comes to things like guns, boats, or chainsaws or what have you I recall everything I'm taught. When it comes to computers I can't remember a thing. I guess I have some sort of auto-reject button in my brain when it comes to remembering computer...anything.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Abraham on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 4131
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#100

Post by bblhd672 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:34 pm

mojo84 wrote:Abraham, I use https://www.startpage.com/ as my search engine. While is also uses Google behind the scenes, it is my understanding it blocks my IP address from Google tracking.

However, with that said. It is very difficult to not be tracked by somebody. It takes a lot of work and some IT knowledge. Even then, I am not convinced anything is 100%. If you are on the internet, there is someone watching and tracking. Take for instance, the fact you use a Yahoo email account, opens the door for the liberal yahoo to track much of what you do on the internet. Most websites you go to store cookies and other data on your computer that helps track your activities.

This is why I take such a strong position when someone on the internet calls me a hypocrite for being on the internet. If someone is on the internet, even when the computer is not actively being used, there is data being exchanged.
:iagree: Your first stop from your device onto the internet, your internet service provider's equipment, has the ability to track/log all of your web activity if they desire.


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 3069
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#101

Post by rotor » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Just signed up for mewe. Looks like a Facebook alternative without the tracking. As I still use older IOS devices be warned ahead of time that their app requires IOS 10 or higher so I can not use it on an older device. None of my IOS devices will update. My wife of course runs state of the art.

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 23
Posts: 8654
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#102

Post by mojo84 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:37 pm

rotor wrote:Just signed up for mewe. Looks like a Facebook alternative without the tracking. As I still use older IOS devices be warned ahead of time that their app requires IOS 10 or higher so I can not use it on an older device. None of my IOS devices will update. My wife of course runs state of the art.
Here is where I am different than many. I do not like using apps unless I have to or they just make the experience that much better. I usually use the mobile web page when I can. It appears mewe.com requires an app on mobile devices. I'm not sure I will download the app and may just access the site on my computer.

Would be interested in feedback regarding their app if people are willing to share. Particularly regarding battery consumption and how much data it uses.

User avatar

bbhack
Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:34 pm
Location: San Antonio Area

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#103

Post by bbhack » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Reducing your footprint on the internet is easy if your goal is something other than crime. Dread Pirate Roberts, who was busted for running Silk Road, was almost perfectly anonymous - almost. There are 2 things you can do right now that will help. The Brave browser reduces tracking technology effectiveness. Brave can be used as your everyday browser. The Tor browser is what you would use to look up something that you did not want to ever show up in your history - like hemorrhoid treatment or dental implants. Tor is limited, and you would not use it as your EDB. Tor provides complete anonymity as far as we know.

There's a little subject drift here, but it's mostly relevant. Tracking is really nasty, and you will never completely get away from it because that's the currency of the Internet. Reducing tracking tech breaks a few sites, but is usually well worth it. I use Chrome with Ghostery and Privacy Badger add-ons, and Brave browser (no add-ons needed), and sometimes Tor. I know it's working because sites complain about ad blocking making their business model not work.

Back to Facebook - they are probably the kings of tracking. Google has the advantage of knowing what you're searching for, but Facebook seems to know it all anyway. The thing that is most scary right now is phones.
NRA Life Member

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 23
Posts: 8654
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#104

Post by mojo84 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:33 pm

bbhack,
I have switched over to Brave on my android phone. However, I have not done so on my laptop as many of my carrier websites require IE, Chrome or Edge. Even Firefox is not widely accepted by the carriers.

It is a challenge to mitigate tracking on the web, especially when someone is techno challenged.

User avatar

bbhack
Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:34 pm
Location: San Antonio Area

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

#105

Post by bbhack » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:42 pm

mojo84 wrote:bbhack,
I have switched over to Brave on my android phone. However, I have not done so on my laptop as many of my carrier websites require IE, Chrome or Edge. Even Firefox is not widely accepted by the carriers.

It is a challenge to mitigate tracking on the web, especially when someone is techno challenged.
What's a "carrier website"? Requiring IE virus vector was a thing of the past, I thought.
NRA Life Member

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”