roll pin punch

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 3

Re: roll pin punch

Post by SQLGeek »

Scott B. wrote: The roll pin starter punches save a lot of frustration.
To clarify, I was talking about these:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... 20640.aspx
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Grundy1133 »

Scott B. wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote: Well im gonna be using 1/8" and 3/32" to completely disassembly my M&P for deep cleaning about once a month maybe every 2 months.
IMO, you really don't need to do that. Of course your gun, your choice but that seems like overkill for me.

I'm hesitant to go Harbor Freight for many things but they are cheap enough, you could pick up some from there and see how it goes.
how often would you recommend doing a deep clean like that? on the videos ive seen the trigger assembly and striker assembly get extremely dirty after a few hundred rounds. ive shot maybe 600 rds thru it and havent ever removed the pins... i think its due for a cleaning lol.
Field strip the gun for regular maintenance. I agree with warnmar10, a complete tear down should be a rare event. With what you have proposed, your pins are going to end up like armorer's school guns (glance at them and they disassemble themselves).

I've got over 12k thru my M&P 9 Pro in the last 2 years and have never completely torn it down. No need. I do a good field strip and clean. Occasionally, I've taken the slide down to wipe off the striker assembly.
Hmm... alright. I guess ill do a field strip clean every month or so and if i ever feel like the trigger is a bit stiff or non-responsive, ill do a disassembly. ill probably occasionally do the striker assembly as well. i imagine lots of gunk gets built up in there. appreciate it. :thumbs2:
NRA Member

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Scott B. »

I'm not sure which nomenclature is correct, Brownells calls these 'Holders.' I call them starter punches and the others just roll pin punches. I'm probably wrong.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... od781.aspx

Both are good to have.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Grundy1133 wrote:
Scott B. wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote: Well im gonna be using 1/8" and 3/32" to completely disassembly my M&P for deep cleaning about once a month maybe every 2 months.
IMO, you really don't need to do that. Of course your gun, your choice but that seems like overkill for me.

I'm hesitant to go Harbor Freight for many things but they are cheap enough, you could pick up some from there and see how it goes.
how often would you recommend doing a deep clean like that? on the videos ive seen the trigger assembly and striker assembly get extremely dirty after a few hundred rounds. ive shot maybe 600 rds thru it and havent ever removed the pins... i think its due for a cleaning lol.
Field strip the gun for regular maintenance. I agree with warnmar10, a complete tear down should be a rare event. With what you have proposed, your pins are going to end up like armorer's school guns (glance at them and they disassemble themselves).

I've got over 12k thru my M&P 9 Pro in the last 2 years and have never completely torn it down. No need. I do a good field strip and clean. Occasionally, I've taken the slide down to wipe off the striker assembly.
Hmm... alright. I guess ill do a field strip clean every month or so and if i ever feel like the trigger is a bit stiff or non-responsive, ill do a disassembly. ill probably occasionally do the striker assembly as well. i imagine lots of gunk gets built up in there. appreciate it. :thumbs2:
As long as you're not dropping lube or grease down into the sear assembly, you really shouldn't have much accumulation. The striker will stay pretty clean too. Unless you're over lubing the gun. Most modern polymer frame, striker fired handguns need a lot less than people tend to think.

Blowing out the sear will help. Mine will get a sonic tank treatment if I've been in a class and shot an excessive number of rounds.

One thing to really check on the M&Ps is the extractor. The channel will accumulate hardened carbon that might not get caught with a light cleaning.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Scott B. wrote:I'm not sure which nomenclature is correct, Brownells calls these 'Holders.' I call them starter punches and the others just roll pin punches. I'm probably wrong.

Both are good to have.
well apparently holders are for re-inserting pins and starters are for getting them started when taking them out. according to the searches i did last night anyway. i just got one of each. *shrug*
NRA Member

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Scott B. wrote:
One thing to really check on the M&Ps is the extractor. The channel will accumulate hardened carbon that might not get caught with a light cleaning.
alright. that'll be the first thing i clean when my punches get here.
NRA Member

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Grundy1133 wrote:
Scott B. wrote:I'm not sure which nomenclature is correct, Brownells calls these 'Holders.' I call them starter punches and the others just roll pin punches. I'm probably wrong.

Both are good to have.
well apparently holders are for re-inserting pins and starters are for getting them started when taking them out. according to the searches i did last night anyway. i just got one of each. *shrug*
Not necessarily. I have these "roll pin starter punches": https://www.midwayusa.com/product/69488 ... iece-steel
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Grundy1133 wrote:
Scott B. wrote:
Allow me to clarify, instead of channel lets use the term 'groove.' The extractor plunger/spring channel won't get a carbon buildup. But, the groove behind the extractor claw will. You can address that while the gun is field stripped.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Scott B. wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
Scott B. wrote:
Allow me to clarify, instead of channel lets use the term 'groove.' The extractor plunger/spring channel won't get a carbon buildup. But, the groove behind the extractor claw will. You can address that while the gun is field stripped.
ooh ok i thought you meant the extractor itself. :thumbs2:
NRA Member

Return to “Off-Topic”