Tent Cities - I See Them Discussed More and More On TV

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tent Cities - I See Them Discussed More and More On TV

Post by ScottDLS »

These tent cities (and there are apparently some in Dallas) are on public land and tacitly encouraged by cities. They are not on private property like people's front yards. Still they are a major health and safety hazard and ought to be discouraged.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

KLB

Post by KLB »

cheezit wrote:It's in Dallas and fort worth as well. So far as them moving out to the country, it would be very odd to see happen. The country life lacks in resources to eat and wash up in. There are no gas station restrooms and no McD dumpsters to eat from. There's no source of income from collecting cans or a large source traffic source to panhandle.
Yes, exactly. The homeless congregate in cities because (1) cities offer services to them and (2) because cities are otherwise rich in resources they can use. Neither applies in rural areas or even small communities. I don't expect to see them move out of cities, though some may shift from one city to another.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

ScottDLS wrote:These tent cities (and there are apparently some in Dallas) are on public land and tacitly encouraged by cities. They are not on private property like people's front yards. Still they are a major health and safety hazard and ought to be discouraged.
Our experience with these encampments in Dallas is that calls to the city (311) and to DPD will get them moved and dismantled, but it takes persistence to get the city to take action.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Where do they go when they are moved. Is there somewhere for them to go?
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

twomillenium wrote:Where do they go when they are moved. Is there somewhere for them to go?
Yes, in Dallas there are quite a large number of homeless shelters.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
twomillenium wrote:Where do they go when they are moved. Is there somewhere for them to go?
Yes, in Dallas there are quite a large number of homeless shelters.
Yeah, there are countless homeless shelters and places dedicated to helping those that want help. IMO, the idea that any of us could find ourselves homeless is largely a myth.

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Abraham »

At some point the homeless/the crazy/the criminal element spewing garbage/human filth will be booted. Their build up simply can't be tolerated by one and all who're actual original, paying, residents.

Actual residents, who live and work in these tent city general areas can't/won't continue to tolerate these (often self-made refugees) who make living in tent city areas dangerous. I, for one, can't imagine putting up with this nastiness and not campaigning to do have something done to get them gone.

Will the tent city types come to the country to set up camp?

Maybe, as there is a precedent for this.

There are even hobo jungles in of all places...Alaska.

So, while I hope like mad they don't descend on us in the country, it's happened elsewhere...is it inevitable?

Probably not, is it entirely impossible...no.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Abraham wrote:At some point the homeless/the crazy/the criminal element spewing garbage/human filth will be booted. Their build up simply can't be tolerated by one and all who're actual original, paying, residents.

Actual residents, who live and work in these tent city general areas can't/won't continue to tolerate these (often self-made refugees) who make living in tent city areas dangerous. I, for one, can't imagine putting up with this nastiness and not campaigning to do have something done to get them gone.

Will the tent city types come to the country to set up camp?

Maybe, as there is a precedent for this.

There are even hobo jungles in of all places...Alaska.

So, while I hope like mad they don't descend on us in the country, it's happened elsewhere...is it inevitable?

Probably not, is it entirely impossible...no.
Leviticus 19:9-10
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Abraham »

BBYC,

Not going to look it up, mind explaining...?

Thanks!

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

BBYC wrote: {snip}
"... the poor and the foreigner" might ought to see about getting a job?

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Oldgringo wrote:
BBYC wrote: {snip}
"... the poor and the foreigner" might ought to see about getting a job?
The quoted verse is the source of many of our charitable giving practices that exist today. Oldgringo's point is well taken, it is not meant for those who choose not to work. Perhaps BBYC was merely pointing out that we have the oportunity to make charitable donations of time or money to those legitimate charities that are set up to help the truly homeless, those that are suffering fom mental or physical illness or are otherwise unemployable?
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “Off-Topic”