Cosby Guilty - So How Long Does He Get To Remain Free?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Cosby Guilty - So How Long Does He Get To Remain Free?

Post by Jusme »

Abraham wrote:Will he able to remain free (out on bail) until sentencing?

How long until sentencing?

Once sentencing is invoked does he go immediately to jail?

Or, is there still a whole lotta legal tap dancing yet to be done while he continues to remain free?

Or, finally, will he ever serve a single day of prison time?

What say you?

From the reports I saw, he bonded out on a 1 million dollar bond, he had to surrender his passport, and is essentially under house arrest.
He will remain free, on bond until sentencing, but I haven't heard when that will happen.
If he is sentenced, to prison, more than likely, he will be given a date to surrender. Unlike normal, folk like you and I.
I'm sure they are working on filing an appeal, and will try to have the appeal, heard, before sentencing.
As far as whether he will serve prison time or not, I don't know. With his celebrity status, money, etc. he can pay the best attorneys, to try to get his sentence (if any) served, in a secure, but very minimum security facility, similar to a halfway house.

Sadly, true legal justice, is very seldom applied equally. Money, still talks. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

There are two distinct things going on with this case. First, the crimes themselves. Which are horrific. As a father of two daughters and a husband to an amazing woman, I am not sure exactly what I would want done to someone who committed these crimes to my loved ones, but I am sure that it would be very painful, and would result in their death. It would also clearly violate any and all prohibitions against "cruel and unusual punishment".

Separately, there is the process. I firmly believe in the legal concept of guilty until proven innocent, and the idea that our legal system should be set up with a bias toward letting the guilty go free rather than wrongly convicted the innocent. On that note, I do have a problem with several aspects of this trial.

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by RossA »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Separately, there is the process. I firmly believe in the legal concept of guilty until proven innocent, and the idea that our legal system should be set up with a bias toward letting the guilty go free rather than wrongly convicted the innocent. On that note, I do have a problem with several aspects of this trial.
Uuuhhh, I hope you meant that the other way around.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

RossA wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Separately, there is the process. I firmly believe in the legal concept of guilty until proven innocent, and the idea that our legal system should be set up with a bias toward letting the guilty go free rather than wrongly convicted the innocent. On that note, I do have a problem with several aspects of this trial.
Uuuhhh, I hope you meant that the other way around.
Yes I did. Innocent until / unless proven guilty.

Freudian slip since I was just typing and thinking about someone sexually assaulting my wife or daughters. It really is hard to not be swayed by emotional reactions to this stuff....

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Abraham »

I sincerely doubt the number of those who admit to his ah, 'attention' is some sort of conspiracy of hateful women.

Given he's admitted to the kind of sexual criminality he's accused of in the past, paid an enormous amount for his actions, (that's called being caught and no getting around it) what more do we need?

But, yer honor, at this point, I've only been found guilty and admitted to robbing one bank, how is it possible I robbed all those others..? I ask ya, be fair, how is it possible I got away with all the others I'm accused of?

Here's why?

Generalizing: Criminals get away with their crimes many, many times before being finally caught.

So, he's old. So what? Does being old confer immunity?

It doesn't.

He's evil, caught in the act of being evil, while fooling us all into believing he was the epitome of goodness, which makes his gross crimes, societally even worse.

Hanging, standing before a firing squad, I'll bet he'd laugh like the devil he is...

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Pretty dangerous thought process there. “He did it before, so he must have done it this time.”

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

He's 80, almost blind and showing many signs of middle stages of dementia....yeh, he's nearly home bound alright. If he's sent to prison, he were sent to prison in Texas he would be sent to one of our prison system's version of a nursing home....did you know that we have a prison nursing home? yep, we do. I assume Penn does too, so why do that? it's not cheap. He's go money. Slap a bracelet on his ankle and let him pay for his own home nursing, why make the tax payers do it?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

SewTexas wrote:He's 80, almost blind and showing many signs of middle stages of dementia....yeh, he's nearly home bound alright. If he's sent to prison, he were sent to prison in Texas he would be sent to one of our prison system's version of a nursing home....did you know that we have a prison nursing home? yep, we do. I assume Penn does too, so why do that? it's not cheap. He's go money. Slap a bracelet on his ankle and let him pay for his own home nursing, why make the tax payers do it?
This
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"Pretty dangerous thought process there. “He did it before, so he must have done it this time.”

Well, I respectfully disagree.

If you've proven a personal precedent for a particular type of unlawful sexual behavior, there's a reasonable expectation you'll quite possibly do it again.

Weirdo sex freaks aren't in the same category as bank robbers or car thieves or con men, they're depraved sickos.

Not just criminal....

Frankly, walking the plank would be too good for them.

As far as housing them as old guys in a rest home, nah, give em a hot shot and be done with it.

Oh, I'm too harsh?

How about if it was your mother, sister, aunt, etc.

Yeah, you'd change your mind right now, no waiting.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

SewTexas wrote:He's 80, almost blind and showing many signs of middle stages of dementia....yeh, he's nearly home bound alright. If he's sent to prison, he were sent to prison in Texas he would be sent to one of our prison system's version of a nursing home....did you know that we have a prison nursing home? yep, we do. I assume Penn does too, so why do that? it's not cheap. He's go money. Slap a bracelet on his ankle and let him pay for his own home nursing, why make the tax payers do it?
You may have something there. The correctional 'nursing home' would be inferior to what he could arrange for himself, and either way, he's not going anywhere. The legal talent could pursue that saying the alternative is cruel and unusual punishment.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"The legal talent could pursue that saying the alternative is cruel and unusual punishment."

Which is what his victims received...but, let's not worry about THEM, they don't count....

He should be in prison.

As far as old cons in prison, lots of them have mental problems i.e. dementia and often worse, but they don't all get to go to 'prison rest homes'. They stay right there in regular prison where Cosby should be.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Abraham wrote:"The legal talent could pursue that saying the alternative is cruel and unusual punishment."

Which is what his victims received...but, let's not worry about THEM, they don't count....

He should be in prison.

As far as old cons in prison, lots of them have mental problems i.e. dementia and often worse, but they don't all get to go to 'prison rest homes'. They stay right there in regular prison where Cosby should be.
here in TX they do, we have to treat our prisoners humanely. So, I would assume that in the rest of the country they would have something fairly similar. I know this because my father worked in the medical units in the Texas prison system. You can't have someone with mid- to late-stage dementia in the general population of a prison. I know this because I've studied a lot about dementia. I'm sorry you seem to be taking this so personal. I just take the wasting of my tax dollars personal.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

SewTexas,

I take it personally because I have a Wife, a Daughter and two Granddaughters who would be preyed upon by monsters like Cosby who then, when finally being caught, want to play the victim role.

He's not the victim.

He's rotten to the core.

He didn't treat his victims humanely, but he gets to be treated humanely...justice my eye.

The victims (not counting the ones who're too embarrassed or unfairly feel ashamed to step forward) should be focused upon, not Cosby.

And how do we know his lawyers didn't advise him to act demented (he is an actor) so if convicted (he was) he'll get to spend his days in a 'rest home for prisoners where he'll be treated humanely'.

Partly, my outrage is what it is due to criminals being let go before they've served their time. Especially, the violent ones and the sexual predators.

Liberal judges and the system in general go waaaaaaaaaay to easy on these mutts.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Abraham wrote:"Pretty dangerous thought process there. “He did it before, so he must have done it this time.”

Well, I respectfully disagree.

If you've proven a personal precedent for a particular type of unlawful sexual behavior, there's a reasonable expectation you'll quite possibly do it again.

Weirdo sex freaks aren't in the same category as bank robbers or car thieves or con men, they're depraved sickos.

Not just criminal....

Frankly, walking the plank would be too good for them.

As far as housing them as old guys in a rest home, nah, give em a hot shot and be done with it.

Oh, I'm too harsh?

How about if it was your mother, sister, aunt, etc.

Yeah, you'd change your mind right now, no waiting.
Now you know precisely why we have a Bill of Rights.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

RossA,

'Know" ...apparently in this instance I don't.

Please elaborate and I'm not being difficult.

Honestly, I don't understand your post....

I'm not one to jump on a bandwagon. Piling on isn't for me. I'm for the underdog.

This guy isn't an underdog...just a slavering, vicious sexual predatory dog.

If you're (and maybe you aren't) in his corner, I hope you understand I'm not one to go bonkers because of a he said/she said scenario.

That isn't the case here, but the overwhelming number of victims finally coming forward isn't suspect...

He's been self admittedly convicted of this type predatory sexual assault behavior in his past. That's not to be overlooked. Sexual predators remain sexual predators. They don't change their spots.

Why would so many of his victims step forward? Fame? Glory of some weird kind? I don't believe it. It takes courage to admit to this type victimization because the victim is already traumatized. To go through the necessary steps to get creeps like this jailed is painful, very painful, for the victims. This is no fun thing for them.

These guys don't stop until jailed.

Remember Harvey Creep-stein and his ilk...?

Return to “Off-Topic”