So THIS happened today...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1068
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

So THIS happened today...

#1

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:38 pm

Today I was outside in my back yard doin some holster fire practice and after pulling the trigger on this particular round I heard thru my electronic earmuffs a "swoosh" and I saw something fly past my head. I went to investigate and found this.
31488279_10156413976034595_7809944238711373824_n.jpg
31562319_10156413984354595_7322452329490284544_n.jpg
Apparently the jacket decided to come off the lead and ricochet off my metal backstop and whiz past my head. Luckily I was wearing eyes. Has anyone ever had this happen before? I was about 10 yds out. (for anyone who's curious heres my groupings.
31492848_10156413968094595_1380449750754525184_n.jpg
)
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2023
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: So THIS happened today...

#2

Post by Flightmare » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:48 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86425&p=1112495

See what others said in this thread
Deplorable lunatic since 2016


SigM4
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:14 am
Location: Willow Park

Re: So THIS happened today...

#3

Post by SigM4 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:55 pm

Yep, shoot enough steel and you’ll get some splatter. The 10 yard rule is a good one to follow, but doesn’t guarantee safety. As you note, always wearing eyes is really the key.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1068
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: So THIS happened today...

#4

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:02 pm

SigM4 wrote:Yep, shoot enough steel and you’ll get some splatter. The 10 yard rule is a good one to follow, but doesn’t guarantee safety. As you note, always wearing eyes is really the key.
I have a pair of prescription safety glasses with the safety shields on the sides that I had when I worked in manufacturing. I always wear them when I shoot.
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5771
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: So THIS happened today...

#5

Post by puma guy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:35 pm

Many years ago! I shot an engine with a my .357 and a hand loaded Keith Semi-wadcutter, heard and felt the ricochet go by my right ear. I was about 25 feet away. Never did that again. I used 1/4" steel plate at an angle after that.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!
Image

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 23999
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: So THIS happened today...

#6

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:39 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:Today I was outside in my back yard doin some holster fire practice and after pulling the trigger on this particular round I heard thru my electronic earmuffs a "swoosh" and I saw something fly past my head. I went to investigate and found this.
31488279_10156413976034595_7809944238711373824_n.jpg
31562319_10156413984354595_7322452329490284544_n.jpg
Apparently the jacket decided to come off the lead and ricochet off my metal backstop and whiz past my head. Luckily I was wearing eyes. Has anyone ever had this happen before? I was about 10 yds out. (for anyone who's curious heres my groupings.
31492848_10156413968094595_1380449750754525184_n.jpg
)
You haven’t lived until you’ve actually had a piece of copper jacket bounce back from your steel plate and embed part of itself in your forearm, between wrist and elbow. :lol: I didn’t cry or nuthin’! :mrgreen:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5878
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: So THIS happened today...

#7

Post by Liberty » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:03 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:Today I was outside in my back yard doin some holster fire practice and after pulling the trigger on this particular round I heard thru my electronic earmuffs a "swoosh" and I saw something fly past my head. I went to investigate and found this.
31488279_10156413976034595_7809944238711373824_n.jpg
31562319_10156413984354595_7322452329490284544_n.jpg
Apparently the jacket decided to come off the lead and ricochet off my metal backstop and whiz past my head. Luckily I was wearing eyes. Has anyone ever had this happen before? I was about 10 yds out. (for anyone who's curious heres my groupings.
31492848_10156413968094595_1380449750754525184_n.jpg
)
You haven’t lived until you’ve actually had a piece of copper jacket bounce back from your steel plate and embed part of itself in your forearm, between wrist and elbow. :lol: I didn’t cry or nuthin’! :mrgreen:
I once caught a piece in my arm. When I got home and the good woman saw the makeshift bloody bandage, Hard to explain that I didn't really shoot myself.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1532
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: So THIS happened today...

#8

Post by twomillenium » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:35 am

While, that has not happened to me ...... yet. I must admit that I am the benefactor of an Uncles experience and this is the reason that steel the steel targets I shoot at are hung loose or at a downward angle and more than 10 yards away.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”