Does Having An LTC Make You An Implied LEO?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Does Having An LTC Make You An Implied LEO?

Post by Abraham »

Sometime, when I read a post here or there on the forum, I see some of us sound like we're to automatically engage the criminal/criminals when law breaking is going on in our immediate area.

My take: It depends on the circumstances.

Would I step in with my gun out to stop a bank robbery?

No.

If I see someone abusing a small child, I might...or not, depends. Perhaps what I 'think' is abuse, actually isn't and now...ay yi yi.

When, if not actually protecting your family or self from harm would you step in with your gun ready to prevent a crime?

My reason for posting this thread (if it isn't already apparent) is: We're LTC's not LEO's and on occasion I think some of us get that confused.

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Does Having An LTC Make You An Implied LEO?

Post by Allons »

It depends on how close I am to what is going on. If it's close enough to put me in danger then yes I'm going to help. Would I pull my weapon to stop a crime 25 yds away? No. I know I'm not a LEO and I'm not trying to be.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Someone else's property, and probably most of my own, not likely. Saying that, I live out in the country. If I was driving by my neighbor's house or up to my own and saw someone hauling it off I'd be inclined to call the sheriff, set up a "perimeter", and encourage the offenders not to do anything stupid while i stayed behind cover.

Serious bodily injury or death to me, mine, and probably most around me, yes. It becomes a proximity matter.

A lot depends on the situation and how vested I am in the folks around me. If I'm at the mall and there is gunfire down the way then I'll most likely get mine and as many others as I can away and out. Maybe provide over-watch and cover as people exit.

If I'm at church or a school (wife's or grand kid's specifically) then I might be more inclined to be more aggressive but again, it depends on the situation.

Generally speaking, I'm not wading into the fray unless there is really good, to me, reason.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

MJR

Post by MJR »

Talking to an ex-LEO friend about that question. He said you should make yourself a very good witness.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If I were able, I'm sorry, but I don't think I could sit idly by while someone else was being hurt or worse and just be a good witness.

If we're talking just about theft of property, then no problem being a great witness.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

No. Never.

One of the first things we did in my chl class was raise our right hand and say, "I am not a law enforcement officer."

Well, all of us but the three that actually were.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

MJR wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:55 pm Talking to an ex-LEO friend about that question. He said you should make yourself a very good witness.
This.

If anyone saw the recent video of Pasadena Police Officer Mark Adams's shooting incident and noticed the man in the background walking past the scene he's a good example of what to do. He was a CHL and could have engaged himself, but went to a safe place and remained there to be a good witness.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

Can you point out some posts that make you think some believe an LTC makes them an "implied LEO"?

I do not believe I have seen anyone on here makes such a contention. I have seen people, me included, advocate and promote helping a fellow human being that is in danger of serious bodily harm or death. By the way, I believe it is our responsibility to get involved when the circumstances warrant whether it involves using a gun, pulling someone out of a burning car, pulling someone out of a flooded stream, helping an old lady cross the street etc. Many on here have proudly announced they are only out for "me and mine" and would not risk harm or liability helping others. It is just recently some have started qualifying their statement to say it depends on the circumstances.

If you aren't willing to help others then don't. Stop insulting those that are by saying they are acting like "implied LEO's".
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri May 25, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

MJR wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:55 pm Talking to an ex-LEO friend about that question. He said you should make yourself a very good witness.
I asked several of my current cop friends and family members if they were in a fight and were about to be choked unconcious or was losing control and the suspect is trying to remove their handgun from the holster would they want a citizen to intervene. Every one of them said absolutely yes.

Does that make one an "implied LEO"?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Allons »

Sometimes being a really good witness could put you in a position where you might have to use that LTC after all.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

No, not a LEO. But maybe a good neighbor. It really depends on the circumstances and how close I am to the situation.

But I do not think I could live with myself if I have the opportunity to save someone's life and do nothing.
Ron
NRA Member

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Unless the threat is immediately life threatening to me or my family. I'll be the best witness I can, but I'm not risking life and freedom for just any thing. If there's a shooting or armed robbery happening right in front of me, I might be inclined. But it would take me being in the immediate proximity of the threat, not 20ft+ away.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Allons wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:31 pm Sometimes being a really good witness could put you in a position where you might have to use that LTC after all.
Sometimes it happens right then and there. Sometimes it happens during or after the trial. Sometimes not at all.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Having an LTC makes you no more a LEO than having a CPR card makes you a medic. That being said, if I am able to determine someone is in immediate need of help and I am in a position to render assistance, I would hope that I would help. That applies to someone being physically threatened or someone needing first aid.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Were these fellas playing "implied LEO" or being Good Samaritans? https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=92577

Return to “Off-Topic”