Ruger lcp

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
13wyatt
Posts in topic: 3

Ruger lcp

Post by 13wyatt »

Do anyone carry a Ruger LCP just as like a pocket pistol? What's y'all's thoughts? Also what do y'all prefer for a pistol with a longer barrel for longer distance?

Medley86
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruger lcp

Post by Medley86 »

I carry a LCP in my back pocket most of the time, it's small light and unobtrusive. When I go to cities with more population I carry an XD-M 40 so that I have more capacity and a bigger caliber where the likelihood of needing it is statistically higher. I'm decent with the XD out to 40-50 yards. A tuned revolver or 1911 would probably be more accurate though.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I have the Little Cute Pistol with CT laser and a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It goes out the door rarely, generally only when wearing draw-string shorts and I don't feel like packing the weight of a real gun. Kahr PM9 is more often the go-to gun for pocket carry. Go-to handgun for longer distances would be Springfield XD9(M). Most favored though would be AR with 20" barrel and 8-32X with mildots. :mrgreen:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

I carry one in my left front pocket.
ET-ret

mescobar_rpls

Post by mescobar_rpls »

I carry one in my front right pocket every day. I use a Bear Creek Holster with a shark accent.
Bear Creek Holster
Bear Creek Holster
If I know that I will go somewhere remotely questionable, I will add something to my belt (Glock 19 or 23).

And I am sorry about the orientation of the picture. I don't know how to rotate it.

Steve W
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Steve W »

I have a LCP that I sometimes carry in a pocket holster. It would not be my first choice ( and is left home 99% of the time ) as it is just harder to handle and not as accurate as the Glock 42 that rides in a sneaky pete at 4 o'clock.

I find the sneaky pete is a much more comfortable way to carry and with practice easy to use one handed. The Glock has a much better grip for my large hands, better factory sights and allows for replacement sights that can not be installed on a LCP.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The LCP is one of most popular guns in America. It should be reliable because it is a Ruger, but nobody really knows because they can't stand shooting them. Most will agree that it's better than nothing. Others will claim that because of the anemic .380ACP round not much better.

I think its a great backup gun, but If your only gonna have one gun, It should be something you can shoot a lot, and shoot often. Practice and range time is more important than what gun we are carrying.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
13wyatt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 13wyatt »

See that's my plan just to carry it just to work and running around, but going to movies, ECT. I want something alittle bigger

dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dlh »

Check into the Ruger LCP2--it is supposed to fix some of the shortcomings of the LCP.
I have an LCP--it is a light-weight and easily concealable handgun. However, mine has a "long" trigger pull which I do not like. It was my first carry-gun. I have since upgraded to a Glock 26 which I far prefer for every-day carry.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Like many here, I have my regular CCW (Ruger LC9s) that I carry, but there are just those times that my normal carry gun won't work so I throw my LCP into my pocket and away I go. I'd rather have it than nothing.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

13wyatt wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:58 pm Do anyone carry a Ruger LCP just as like a pocket pistol? What's y'all's thoughts? Also what do y'all prefer for a pistol with a longer barrel for longer distance?
I've carried one every day since Sept 2008. Love it. Have several now, most with lasers. I have an XDS, XDM, a LC9 as well, but nothing compares in the size and convenience to the LCP.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have had a Kel-Tec P3AT for a long time now. It's been my "better than nothing" gun for those times when I don't want to carry anything big or heavy. I recently bought an LCP II to see if it might make sense to upgrade. The trigger on the LCP is a lot better, but to be honest I shoot it and my Kel-Tec about the same (both better than I expected given their size). So I'll probably just keep the Kel-Tec and sell the Ruger. Both of these guns are a pain to shoot. I also have a Glock 42 that is more accurate than either of the other two, and a ton more fun to shoot. But it's also bigger.

For a "longer barrel" gun, I would recommend the CZ line. Their RAMI is roughly the same size as a Glock 26, and is a much better gun, IMHO. It's hard to go wrong with that choice. Getting bigger, you could get the CZ 75 Compact, and then CZ 75 full size. You could also go with the Glock line or the Sig line, or the Walther line, or Springfield Armory, or Smith & Wesson. They all have guns in sub-compact, Compact, and full size versions. Staying with one maker also usually gives you a degree of magazine compatibility (the larger ones will just stick out the bottom if you put them in a smaller version). You also get a similar manual of arms, and breakdown procedure. You really can't go all that wrong with any of the major gun makers. Most of your proficiency will come from you, not the gun. So practice with whatever you get. Range time is good, shooting competitions and formal training are better.

Or you could make the jump to 1911's. I have a lot of guns, and the one that is most often on my hip is a CCO size 1911. That works for me. Something else might work better for you. Guns are like women (or men - not judging anyone's preferences). What's best for me, might not be the one you would choose for you.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Liberty wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:38 am The LCP is one of most popular guns in America. It should be reliable because it is a Ruger, but nobody really knows because they can't stand shooting them. Most will agree that it's better than nothing. Others will claim that because of the anemic .380ACP round not much better.

I think its a great backup gun, but If your only gonna have one gun, It should be something you can shoot a lot, and shoot often. Practice and range time is more important than what gun we are carrying.
I have an LCP, also. Like many others, it does not leave my house often because I prefer my 9mm with a lot more capacity. But I DO take it to the range every time I go and shoot at least 50 rounds through it. About 75 rounds, my hand starts to hurt but if I'm going to carry it, even occasionally, I want to be able to shoot it. As long as I stay in the 10 yard range with it, I can shoot it reasonably well. I only take it places where I'm concerned about concealment. The deSantis Nemisis holster works great in a front pocket. I use a spare mag pouch on my belt and have never been asked about it.

As far as it not being up to the task, I'd offer this.
https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/ ... eat-a-9mm/
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I normally carry a Shield .45, but for special cases (as in wearing a tux), I carry a Glock 42 in a deSantis pocket holster. I'm not a fan of Glock or Ruger, but CZ doesn't make a small enough gun. :biggrinjester:

The Glock 42 is small, but with a good length, good sights, and a nice trigger.

NOTES:

1. Mine came with 2 flat base mags, but you can get an extended base at Midway. Really necessary.

2. The earliest models jammed with 100 gr bullets. They fixed that later. Don't buy a used one.

:fire
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

There are times when my LCP are required due to venue and clothing. I can hide it and a spare mag very easily even with dress pants and shirt but without a coat.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Return to “Off-Topic”