Children of the greatest generation

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Children of the greatest generation

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This is not my generation, but I found this quote from an unknown author interesting. I recall some of the later events he describes, but I was much younger at the time than his generation.

I have to disagree with the title; my Dad's generation (1911 - 1976, WWII veteran) was the greatest.

Chas.
Unknown author wrote: Born in the 1930's to the early 1940's, we exist as a very special age group.

We are the smallest group of children born since the early 1900's.

We are the last generation, climbing out of the depression, who can remember the winds of war and the impact of a world at war which rattled the structure of our daily lives for years.

We are the last to remember ration books for everything from gas to sugar to shoes to stoves.

We saved tin foil and poured fat into tin cans.

We saw cars up on blocks because tires weren't available.

We can remember milk being delivered to our house early in the morning and placed in the “milk box” on the porch.

We are the last to see the gold stars in the front windows of our grieving neighbors whose sons died in the War.

We saw the 'boys' home from the war, build their little houses.

We are the last generation who spent childhood without television; instead, we imagined what we heard on the radio.

As we all like to brag, with no TV, we spent our childhood "playing outside”.

There was no little league. There was no city playground for kids. Soccer was unheard of.

The lack of television in our early years meant, for most of us, that we had little real understanding of what the world was like.

On Saturday afternoons, the movies, gave us newsreels sandwiched in between westerns and cartoons that were at least a week old..

Telephones were one to a house, often shared (party Lines) and hung on the wall in the kitchen (no cares about privacy).

Computers were called calculators, they were hand cranked; typewriters were driven by pounding fingers, throwing the carriage, and changing the ribbon.

The 'INTERNET’ and ‘GOOGLE’ were words that did not exist.

Newspapers and magazines were written for adults and the news was broadcast on our radio in the evening by Paul Harvey.

As we grew up, the country was exploding with growth.

The G.I. Bill gave returning veterans the means to get an education and spurred colleges to grow.

VA loans fanned a housing boom. Pent up demand coupled with new Installment payment plans opened many factories for work.

New highways would bring jobs and mobility. New cars averaged $2,000 full price.

The veterans joined civic clubs and became active in politics.

The radio network expanded from 3 stations to thousands.

Our parents were suddenly free from the confines of the depression and the war, and they threw themselves into exploring opportunities they had never imagined.

We weren't neglected, but we weren't today's all-consuming family focus.

They were glad we played by ourselves until the street lights came on or Mom called us for supper.

They were busy discovering the post war world.

We entered a world of overflowing plenty and opportunity; a world where we were welcomed, enjoyed ourselves and felt secure in our future.

Although depression poverty was deeply remembered.

Polio was still a crippler.

We came of age in the 50s and 60s.

The Korean War was a dark passage in the early 50s and by mid-decade school children were ducking under desks for Air-Raid training.

Russia built the “Iron Curtain” and China became Red China.

Eisenhower sent the first 'Army Advisers' to Vietnam.

Castro took over in Cuba and Khrushchev came to power in Russia.

We are the last generation to experience an interlude when there were no threats to our homeland. The war was over and the cold war, Muslim terrorism, “global warming”, and perpetual economic insecurity had yet to haunt life with unease.

Only our generation can remember both a time of great war, and a time when our world was secure and full of bright promise and plenty, we lived through both.

We grew up at the best possible time, a time when the world was getting better not worse.

We are "The Last Ones".

More than 99 % of us are either retired or deceased, and we feel privileged to have "lived in the best of times"!

Grundy1133

Re: Children of the greatest generation

Post by Grundy1133 »

my dad was born in '44 and passed away 2 years and 4 days ago from lymphoma. He was 71 and he was strong as an ox (until the cancer got to him) and worked hard for every cent he made. I remember he worked for the same company for 44 years until he got to the point where he physically couldn't drive anymore due to the cancer and was forced to retire. He was dependable, respectable, and kept his word. People always tell me I'm a rare breed. I tell them it's how I was raised. I looked up to him as a child and he was my role model so a lot of the attributes he possessed carried on to me like loyalty, commitment, determination, and always keeping your word. These are things you don't see anymore in the younger generations. I'm technically considered a millennial (born 1987) but I don't relate to the entitlement seeking self righteous narcissistic behaviour of todays youth. I was taught that if you want something you work for it. Nobody deserves anything and nobody is entitled to anything and if somebody wrongs you, you stand up for yourself. I was taught the value of life and that actions have consequences. I owe a lot of my morals and my ideology to that man. I wish I could have had more time with him... But alas, very well written article and I definitely agree with a lot of it. I don't know many people who were born in the 30s-40s but the ones i do/did know, you could tell that they were hard workers and had to be strong to survive... As Chas mentioned the generation before them (those born at the turn of the century) DEFINITELY had it hard and is probably the greatest generation. my grandpa was 17 when he joined the navy to fight in WWII. (my mom was actually born in hawaii while he was stationed there).
NRA Member

flechero

Post by flechero »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:10 pm
I have to disagree with the title; my Dad's generation (1911 - 1976, WWII veteran) was the greatest.

Chas.
Agreed... any generation beginning in 1911 wins, hands down! :patriot: :fire

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Sounds a lot like my mom, who could have been one of the characters in The Grapes of Wrath. Dust bowl, stuff piled on a truck, going to work in the fields in California, the whole nine yards.

I remember some of that stuff, but not all of it. I do remember playing outside all day, every day, until we got so dirty that the lady keeping us would lock the doors to keep us from coming into the house. I remember when many people didn't even HAVE a key to the front door, and when every grade and middle school ("junior high school") had 300 bicycles parked out front. I remember when we'd all pile into somebody's car and drive across town to listen to somebody's new 45 rpm record. Now kids have 500 songs on their iPods and complain because it's not enough. I remember when if the milkman came by with your fresh milk and eggs and you weren't home, he'd just go in the kitchen and put them in the fridge, and during the holiday season we'd leave him a plate of cookies on the counter. The whole town shut down on Sundays, and nobody went anywhere on the nights Billy Graham was on TV. It was a matter of enormous pride to be a Boy Scout, and no self respecting red-blooded American boy would be caught dead going to school without a good pocketknife.

The America Norman Rockwell painted. We've lost something very, very special in this country, and it's not coming back. Ever.

That "greatest generation" didn't just know about these things, they lived it. And those like me, and many of us here on the forum who remember at least some of that life, are becoming fewer and fewer.
-Ruark

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

flechero wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:30 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:10 pm

Chas.
Agreed... any generation beginning in 1911 wins, hands down! :patriot: :fire
I agree. My Dad was 1916 - 1987 and served in WWII as well. They were self sufficient and tough as nails.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

My dad was born in 1926. He and 5 uncles (1 of his brothers and 4 brothers-in-law) were army. His other brother was air corps. On my mom's side she had a brother in the army and another in the navy. Her brother-in-law worked in the plant that build the B-24. All 8 of my relatives survived the war and came home to lead productive lives. My 9th uncle survived the factory, something not everyone did unfortunately. That is truly the greatest generation. I miss them all.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

If I recall correctly, The Greatest Generation, as some historian pointed out, was the last generation born in which the population balance was still more rural than urban......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “Off-Topic”