Clear backpacks

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bbhack
Posts in topic: 2

Clear backpacks

Post by bbhack »

NEISD (San Antonio) just announced the new requirement that all middle school and high school students must have transparent backpacks.

My memory must be going. Which school incident would clear backpacks have prevented or mitigated?
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Clear backpacks

Post by Grundy1133 »

bbhack wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:52 pm NEISD (San Antonio) just announced the new requirement that all middle school and high school students must have transparent backpacks.

My memory must be going. Which school incident would clear backpacks have prevented or mitigated?
werent clear backpacks a big fad in the 90s? i remember in middle school ALL the girls in my grade had them lol
NRA Member

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Middle Age Russ »

When gut-level "thinking" requires that we must do something, a lot of the things done are more about appearances than effects.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Middle Age Russ wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:13 pm When gut-level "thinking" requires that we must do something, a lot of the things done are more about appearances than effects.
:iagree: Exactly! Do a lot of “somethings” like clear backpacks and getting rid of law abiding citizens firearms rather than address the real difficult issues that are behind the violence in schools (and other places).
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It would keep a school shooter from bringing a handgun into a school in their backpack. Well that is unless the shooter slid the handgun into a binder or put it between a couple books, or something. Of course, the shooter could just not carry their weapons in a backpack in the first place.

So, to answer your question. It wouldn't have prevented any tragedies, but it makes you feel safer if you don't actually use logic.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:24 pm it makes you feel safer if you don't actually use logic.
seems to be the trend now a days
NRA Member

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

I guess the next item on the list would be clear trench coats since that how the Santa Fe shooter hid the shotgun. :lol: :lol:
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

gtolbert09 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:31 pm I guess the next item on the list would be clear trench coats since that how the Santa Fe shooter hid the shotgun. :lol: :lol:
Clear ponchos with nothing on underneath. Followed by a rash of #metoo complaints, of course.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

My kid hauled 25+ pounds of books in their backpack every day.
I'm looking forward to seeing what clear (vinyl) backpack can keep up with that for more than a week.

Not to mention the certain revolt from the young ladies having to keep feminine products in a clear bag.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

My daughter's backpack barely weighs 5lbs. The school district issues all the kids in middle school and high school an iPad. They rarely have books to carry round. Her High school also has 3 armed Resource Officers on campus during school hours. Lewisville ISD just announced that all campuses will have full time RSO's on campuses all day.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

This is a dumb idea.

Why?

One can easily hide almost anything in a clear backpack.

This idea is one up there with the Brits banning knives.

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Reminds me of goofy products and the movie So Fine with a commercial - search So Fine butt-out jeans and Clear Panel Mom Jeans.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Grundy1133 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:12 pm
bbhack wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:52 pm NEISD (San Antonio) just announced the new requirement that all middle school and high school students must have transparent backpacks.

werent clear backpacks a big fad in the 90s? i remember in middle school ALL the girls in my grade had them lol
It wasn't a fad in our district, they were required when my kids were in elementary and middle school and they were always in short supply. Then at one point, not exactly sure when they were no longer required to be transparent. Nothing bureaucrats do has to make sense.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

gtolbert09 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:53 pm My daughter's backpack barely weighs 5lbs. The school district issues all the kids in middle school and high school an iPad. They rarely have books to carry round. Her High school also has 3 armed Resource Officers on campus during school hours. Lewisville ISD just announced that all campuses will have full time RSO's on campuses all day.
My youngest daughter had a LISD issued iPad in 8th grade... we moved her to a charter school for 9-12.

Allons

Post by Allons »

If they are not going thru metal detectors then this is not going to do anything. Instead of AR's next, it will be pocket pistols or something else. This is really a stupid idea.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Return to “Off-Topic”