Illegal Kitty Keychain

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Illegal Kitty Keychain

Post by WildBill »

I ran across this story about several types of keychains that are considered to be brass knuckles and therefore illegal.
I don't know what anyone else thinks about this, but I think it's ridiculous to have this law on the books still.
To me, it's along the same lines as the laws prohibiting the Bowie knife.

A keychain is stirring up controversy after many are finding out it's illegal in Texas.

The Travis County Sheriff's Office said brass knuckles are growing in popularity amongst women.
But many don't even know they own one and it can lead to a hefty fine or even land them in jail.

It's cute but don't be fooled it can be dangerous.

At first glance, it looks like a harmless cat or dog keychain.
But as it turns out, it can be used as a deadly self-defense weapon.

http://www.fox26houston.com/news/local- ... n-cost-you
NRA Endowment Member

Grundy1133

Re: Illegal Kitty Keychain

Post by Grundy1133 »

At first glance, it looks like a harmless cat or dog keychain.
But as it turns out, it can be used as a deadly self-defense weapon.
and that's what makes it illegal...? SMH I guess you can't fix stupid.
NRA Member

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

I hate when the news incorrectly cites the law. The keychain is not illegal. Using it as brass knuckles is illegal. The definition of brass knuckles is anything with fingerholes and a guard, made of a hard substance, that is designed, made, or adapted for causing serious bodily injury or death.

You can be convicted of having brass knuckles if you are wearing rings made of steel and hit someone with them but no one would claim the ring itself was illegal. The same is true of the keychain.
Steve Rothstein

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

One of the tactical tricks I've read about is women should carry their keys in hand to smash into an attacker's face, thus protecting her.

So, given the above, she'd be in trouble if she defended herself in this manner?

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Abraham wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:31 pm One of the tactical tricks I've read about is women should carry their keys in hand to smash into an attacker's face, thus protecting her.

So, given the above, she'd be in trouble if she defended herself in this manner?
More likely a pile on charge if the defense wasn't justified. Kind of like a screwdriver can be burglary tool, or a pipe can be drug paraphernalia id there's dope in it, or a baseball bat can be an illegal club.... Three felonies a day.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

rotor

Post by rotor »

If you Google them they are sold everywhere as personal defense keychains and in my opinion, for what it's worth, they are an illegal (brass knuckles) weapon in Texas. I would not want to try to sway a jury that they were not a weapon after a Google search.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

That law needs to be changed.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

ScottDLS wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:44 pm Three felonies a day.
Make enough laws and everyone is a criminal
“Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.”
― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

flechero

Post by flechero »

brass knuckles- illegal.

pepper spray- good to go
knife- fine
gun- A OK

Maybe the rub is that they just prefer better weapons? :lol:

And if nothing else, the LTC should cover any weapon, not just a handgun. I was taught as a teen to hold keys between the fingers and to clench a fist around the ring... not quite the same impact but does make several holes that could deter someone in short order if needed. So many improvised weapons available... makes it silly to outlaw brass knuckles.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

They are used to crush the windpipe , Throat punch and Twist! They used to be made of aluminum or brass, now they are plastic. My Great aunt carried one back in the 1970's and she a Nurse.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

howdy

Post by howdy »

I remember bayonet training....jab. twist, pull up....
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

It's just a key chain.

And this is just a patriotic paper weight.

I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

remington79

Post by remington79 »

bblhd672 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:48 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:44 pm Three felonies a day.
Make enough laws and everyone is a criminal
“Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.”
― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
That's where Jury Nullification comes into play. There has even been a book written about the 3 felonies a day. https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... 8&oe=UTF-8
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

lonestar144 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:51 pm That keychain was made specifically as a weapon, like brass knuckles or dagger, not a keychain that "could" be used as one. While a dagger is legal, the resemblance of brass knuckles is not. If someone wants wants a similar item, just get a mini dagger and attach to keychain, purse or even carried in pocket.

https://www.dhgate.com/store/product/ne ... 49157.html
Or we could change the law.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

OlBill wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:12 pm
lonestar144 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:51 pm That keychain was made specifically as a weapon, like brass knuckles or dagger, not a keychain that "could" be used as one. While a dagger is legal, the resemblance of brass knuckles is not. If someone wants wants a similar item, just get a mini dagger and attach to keychain, purse or even carried in pocket.

https://www.dhgate.com/store/product/ne ... 49157.html
Or we could change the law.

:iagree:

All of these, and similar laws, do absolutely nothing to deter/prevent crime. All they are used for is an enhancement to another charge. All prohibitions, against inanament objects such as these, should be removed, just as the prohibitions, against certain types of knives, have been.
I have no use for brass knuckles, and probably would not carry, a kitty keychain, but I can see their use,as defensive tools, for those who, cannot carry guns, where they work.
These laws, for the most part were in response to the misuse, by a very small number of people, usually gang members, and were intended to provide prosecutors, a charge, to apply, when no actual crime, had been committed.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Off-Topic”