Illegal Kitty Keychain

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Illegal Kitty Keychain

Post by Odinvalknir »

I'd like to see the brass knuckle law dropped, it's a stupid law, especially here in Tx where it's already legal to carry any size bladed weapon up to and including swords. It's fine to carry long guns (rifle/shotgun) in vehicle, it's legal to conceal a handgun in your car without license. Also I kind of feel if you acquire a LTC, it should cover things like knuckle dusters and certain types of hand weapons along with firearms.

I have a replica of a trench knife like those used by our military in the first World War, it's about a 8 or 9 inch blade attached to a handle that has knuckle guards on it. Lots of guys carry fixed blade knives, as well as folding knives along with their concealed carry pistols, and really I think a knife wound can a lot of times be worse and more deadly than a bullet wound.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

rotor wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:34 pm If you Google them they are sold everywhere as personal defense keychains and in my opinion, for what it's worth, they are an illegal (brass knuckles) weapon in Texas. I would not want to try to sway a jury that they were not a weapon after a Google search.
To clarify my earlier statement, I agree with you. If a seller advertises them as a weapon, then they are an illegal weapon when you buy them. If they advertise them, as a Hello Kitty novelty keychain, then they are not a weapon when you own them, just if you use them as a weapon. This is where the law that says designed or adapted comes in to make the determination. Sold as a weapon means designed that way. Sold as a novelty means adapted, which requires the use.
Abraham wrote:One of the tactical tricks I've read about is women should carry their keys in hand to smash into an attacker's face, thus protecting her.

So, given the above, she'd be in trouble if she defended herself in this manner?
Actually, this is when the defense of necessity comes in. Improvised weapons almost always can be justified if the defensive use of force is justified.
Steve Rothstein

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

“The Travis County Sheriff's Office said brass knuckles are growing in popularity amongst women.”

God forbid women protect themselves! If it stops ONE rape or assault, I think it should be allowed!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

lama

Post by lama »

TreyHouston wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:58 pm “The Travis County Sheriff's Office said brass knuckles are growing in popularity amongst women.”

God forbid women protect themselves! If it stops ONE rape or assault, I think it should be allowed!
Careful with absolutes Eunuching all men would stop at least one rape.

I say this mostly in jest but there is a serious piece of limiting absolute claims. (I understand that context matters but something to keep in mind.)

Also, I agree the law is silly just like the automatic knives law that was recently overturned.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Forget the questionable keychain, just get the key.

https://www.crkt.com/williams-tactical-key.html
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

apostate

Post by apostate »

LDB415 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:14 pm Forget the questionable keychain, just get the key.

Something like this seems more useful.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS43XL ... -ex-sheath

Of course, that means taking the mental step to intentionally carry a weapon for self defense.

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

Abraham wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:31 pm One of the tactical tricks I've read about is women should carry their keys in hand to smash into an attacker's face, thus protecting her.

So, given the above, she'd be in trouble if she defended herself in this manner?
To elaborate on what I suspect this poster is conveying, keys in hand means the fob(s) of the keys in the palm of the hand and the hand made into a fist with each key on the ring poking out from between each pair of fingers.

Self-defense sites typically pan this approach, but if I were left with no other option, I might give it a whirl. For example:

http://novaselfdefense.com/blog/can-my-keys-be-a-weapon

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

apostate wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:20 pm
LDB415 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:14 pm Forget the questionable keychain, just get the key.

Something like this seems more useful.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS43XL ... -ex-sheath

Of course, that means taking the mental step to intentionally carry a weapon for self defense.
Yes, but then you have to be sure it's ok wherever you go etc. as well as figure out where to carry it etc.. The key just goes on the keyring and is always ready. Make a habit of carrying it in the ready position and there's not even any thinking required. I'm not sure how it would work during a TSA groping but other than that it's probably good to go anywhere.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

OlBill wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:12 pmOr we could change the law.
Not really. Only the legislature can change the law.

But we can change the legislature, so there's that.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

apostate

Post by apostate »

Last edited by apostate on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

apostate wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:32 pm Kitty Keychains in the news again.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... illips-mom
When a Carrollton police officer arrived, he said he believed she was fleeing the scene of an accident — which Phillips denies — and though she passed a sobriety test, she was arrested for failing to yield and booked into Carrollton City Jail.

Only then did the police discover the little pink key chain in her purse.

That's when Phillips was told "possession of a prohibited weapon," a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to $4,000 in fines and a year in jail, would be added to her arrest record.
oh geez
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

SewTexas wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:43 pm
apostate wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:32 pm Kitty Keychains in the news again.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... illips-mom
When a Carrollton police officer arrived, he said he believed she was fleeing the scene of an accident — which Phillips denies — and though she passed a sobriety test, she was arrested for failing to yield and booked into Carrollton City Jail.

Only then did the police discover the little pink key chain in her purse.

That's when Phillips was told "possession of a prohibited weapon," a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to $4,000 in fines and a year in jail, would be added to her arrest record.
oh geez

Is it standard practice, to arrest someone on a failure to yield, traffic violation? And if she passed a field sobriety test, why was the officer, still concerned about her sobriety?
This sounds more like a case, of an officer, being angry, that she had gone into a business, rather than wait, in the heat, and traffic, for him to get there.

Since I doubt, that it is standard practice to arrest on a class c traffic violation, a good attorney, can get the UCW charge dismissed, since it was only discovered, as part of a search incident to arrest.

But these are the type of things, we need to push our State reps, to have repealed. Do they still believe, that people, are looking to start a "rumble" with brass knuckles, when they can carry a gun in their car, and anything up to and including, a Samarai sword, on their person at all times?
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

after a few run-ins with the law for things like reckless driving and running when police broke up a party, she worries this arrest will hurt her future.

"I have been working to get my life back on the right track," Phillips said. "I feel like this is going to ruin my progress."
Maybe work a little harder?
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Return to “Off-Topic”