Someone push me...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Someone push me...

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

G.A. Heath wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:03 pm I went and tested with the intention of leaving with the knowledge that once my license shows up in the database that I would be a technician, things did not go as planned because my CSCE shows I passed Technician and General. Thanks to everyone here, especially Charles L. Cotton, for the input, advice, and encouragement. Now I have to order another Gordon West book and start studying for Extra...
Congratulations on getting General in your first exam! Welcome aboard. I should have the repeater up by October and I'll get the TexasCHLforum net going soon after. I'll have it available by AllStar, Echlink and possibly IRLP so anyone can get in regardless of their location.

Chas.

Topic author
G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 11

Post by G.A. Heath »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:11 pm
G.A. Heath wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:03 pm I went and tested with the intention of leaving with the knowledge that once my license shows up in the database that I would be a technician, things did not go as planned because my CSCE shows I passed Technician and General. Thanks to everyone here, especially Charles L. Cotton, for the input, advice, and encouragement. Now I have to order another Gordon West book and start studying for Extra...
Congratulations on getting General in your first exam! Welcome aboard. I should have the repeater up by October and I'll get the TexasCHLforum net going soon after. I'll have it available by AllStar, Echlink and possibly IRLP so anyone can get in regardless of their location.

Chas.
I'm looking forward to it.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

What radios and antennas do you have at this point? Whatever you have, you'll have much more soon! This hobby is as addicting as guns.

Chas.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Flightmare »

Congratulations! And since you passed General, now you need a rig that can do HF.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Flightmare wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:56 pm
Congratulations! And since you passed General, now you need a rig that can do HF.
All it takes is money and a little engineering...
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Got my ticket today, been busy trying to get a radio installed into the Jeep so I have not successfully made contact with anyone yet. Also feeling sick and suffering from an extraordinary level of exhaustion so I doubt I will attempt tonight. Thanks everyone!

Edit to add my call sign is KI5BBY.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Post by parabelum »

oohrah wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:37 am Just be aware that your callsign is searchable in the FCC database and will reveal your personal info including your station address.
Which is why I think getting a plate with your call sign is a bad idea.

EL29jm
Posts in topic: 2

Post by EL29jm »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:11 pm I should have the repeater up by October and I'll get the TexasCHLforum net going soon after. I'll have it available by AllStar, Echlink and possibly IRLP so anyone can get in regardless of their location.

Chas.
Not to hijack the thread, but where will you locate the repeater? Would be nice to use the tower near PSC.
Licensed since '99, took exam at Webster intermediate with all the students who were taking their tech exam.

John- AJ5TT
(Grid - EL29jl - moved) NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

EL29jm wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:21 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:11 pm I should have the repeater up by October and I'll get the TexasCHLforum net going soon after. I'll have it available by AllStar, Echlink and possibly IRLP so anyone can get in regardless of their location.

Chas.
Not to hijack the thread, but where will you locate the repeater? Would be nice to use the tower near PSC.
Licensed since '99, took exam at Webster intermediate with all the students who were taking their tech exam.

John- AJ5TT
As the OP I don't see it as a hijack, it's more encouragement for anyone else who may read the thread later. (I am currently studying the Gordan West material for Extra).

I have about 70% of an HF install finished in my Jeep, once I get the HF radio working I think it would be amazing if I was able to coordinate my first HF contact with a forum member.

EL29jm
Posts in topic: 2

Post by EL29jm »

G.A. Heath wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:38 pm I have about 70% of an HF install finished in my Jeep, once I get the HF radio working I think it would be amazing if I was able to coordinate my first HF contact with a forum member.
I like to operate HF. Since we are at the bottom of the cycle, HF on 10-15 is not the best. Will check 20 for DX but mostly on 40 and 80. Wife and I had a new home built, moved in 2 yrs ago into the new home. Wife wanted to live in the neighborhood and I wanted a happy wife. Just now getting my station back up and running. I installed a SteppIR vertical in the back yard and my radials extend under the fence to an open area. I mounted the antenna on a fold over mount from DX Engineering. My vertical is in League City but most of my radials are in Friendswood! I enjoy operating HF and just now slowly working back into getting the station operational. Picture of station on QRZ, AJ5TT. On 80M, evening, there is the Texas Traffic Net on 3873and several other nets that operate in the evenings. Even a group on 80 from LA called the "The Rare Ones", good bunch of people. Another group on 3916 based out of Dallas and the Op KE5GGY is a great guy. I may not be the most experienced but glad to share any info I may have. Best to you on getting your system operational. Glad to be one of the forum members to make a contact with you. Don't be surprised if you cannot hear someone a few miles away. Need a good ground wave and a lot of folks may have a high takeoff angle.

John - AJ5TT.
(Grid - EL29jl - moved) NRA Lifetime member

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:54 pm What radios and antennas do you have at this point? Whatever you have, you'll have much more soon! This hobby is as addicting as guns.

Chas.
:iagree:
I'm learning going to HamFests etc are as addictive as GunShows too
Real bargains can be found sometimes too.
I had to miss Austin Summerfest.
Next one I'll get to go to is in October at Belton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

EL29jm wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Chas.

John- AJ5TT
Two local dirtbags caused repeater owners not to disclose the location of our repeaters. I'll give you more information in person some time. It will cover the Friendswood area quite well.

Chas.

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:54 pm What radios and antennas do you have at this point? Whatever you have, you'll have much more soon! This hobby is as addicting as guns.

Chas.
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier Charles, but I think it works out better that I see it now as I am about 85% done with my HF radio install. Functionality and future plans were the key components in choosing my radios. I wanted an HT to have in each vehicle so I could grab one take take it with me when I am away from my them, to that I end I went with a pair of Baofeng radios. I wanted the same UHF/VHF radio in my Ford Ranger and in my Jeep, but it had to be able to function as a repeater (preferably crossband). After I did a bit of research I eventually settled on one that I found you posted that you use, the Kenwood TM-V71A, I even found a forum post by you elsewhere talking about doing a DIY remote mount kit. I ordered a TM-V71A, did several mock ups in the Jeep and Ranger while I waited to take my test before finally installing it in the Ranger and ordering a second for the Jeep.

While talking to a customer about taking my test he informed me he had a TM-V71A but sold it about six months before to make room to move into Texas. Two days later he brings me a complete remote mount kit (Both the mic extension and face plate extension) for the radio and tells me he had no use for it and to consider it a gift as long as I got my ticket! While I waited to get my callsign the Ranger's radio made for a very nice police scanner. Today I moved my HF install in my Jeep from 70% to 90% or so by routing my coax under the rollbar padding back to the tailgate and running a mic extension cable for that radio. The problem is I used all my ground strap (braided flat strap on a 25ft roll), gave it out, or lost it. Last time I saw it I was using it to bond the grounds for the body, frame, engine, and battery together about two years ago. I had a few small pieces in my toolbox I used to bond the antenna for the Kenwood, but not enough for the HF rig, and I would like to improve the bonding job for the Kenwood radio as well. No big box parts store within 60 miles has any appreciable lengths of the stuff so I am going to order it online if I can't find it locally in the morning. The HF radio I am installing is a Yaesu FT-891.

As for Antennas the Ranger has a generic Tram 1185 magnetic mount setup, once I figure out how I want to fab up a mount for it I plan to install a better antenna for the it. The Jeep has a Diamond SG7900 (NMO mount) for the Kenwood and the Antenna for the Jeep's HF radio is a Yaesu ATAS-120A (My research showed this was the best choice for my application at this time). I have a Arizona Rocky Road dual antenna mount for my jeep, and after a little persuasion with the drill both antenna's fit nicely.

The jeep is getting the HF radio because if I find myself in a situation where I need help I will likely be in that vehicle. Aside the HF radio the two vehicles are equipped in a very similar fashion to simplify maintenance, programming, and familiarity. One thing about both vehicles is that I can remove everything and return both vehicles to stock configuration without any extra holes that were not already there.

Return to “Off-Topic”