Mosquito control - cheap

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
Greybeard
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2310
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: Denton County
Contact:

Mosquito control - cheap

#1

Post by Greybeard » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:00 pm



A buddy in the landscape biz highly recommended these widgets on a local social medial site this morning. Owner of Johnson Feed Store in Lewisville told me late today that he had been slammed selling them all day as a result of that post. I dropped $20 on a kit that included 2 units. Instructions say NOT to place on the patio where people will be as they ATTRACT skeeters, but to put them in the shade many feet away. I do hope they work as advertised because my wife is a mosquito magnet.

Edited to add: Link maybe no workie. Interested parties may need to Google "Spartan Mosquito Eradicator".

CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"
24/7 Independent Practice Plans for local LEOs and Texas CHL holders

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#2

Post by Grundy1133 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 pm

interesting. I wonder whats in them... personally I just stay inside haha. cheapest way i know to get rid of mosquitoes :D
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

warnmar10
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#3

Post by warnmar10 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:15 pm


User avatar

aero10
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:30 am

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#4

Post by aero10 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 pm
interesting. I wonder whats in them... personally I just stay inside haha. cheapest way i know to get rid of mosquitoes :D
According to the Q&A on Amazon from sellers, it's sugar, salt, and yeast. Sounds similar to a lot of things I've seen online using a two liter bottle with sugar, yeast, and warm water.

User avatar

lonestar144
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#5

Post by lonestar144 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Yup, same exact thing you can make with bottles, but charge you $20 for it. My BIL bought some couple months ago, seemed to work ok, as far as keeping the skeeters on the other side of the yard, don't know about eradicating them though.

User avatar

Deltaboy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Johnson County TX

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#6

Post by Deltaboy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:25 pm

I go out about dusk and fog the Area with Seven Dust then the next morning fog a fine mist of Ortho Home Defense!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#7

Post by Grundy1133 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:22 pm

aero10 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:40 pm
Grundy1133 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 pm
interesting. I wonder whats in them... personally I just stay inside haha. cheapest way i know to get rid of mosquitoes :D
According to the Q&A on Amazon from sellers, it's sugar, salt, and yeast. Sounds similar to a lot of things I've seen online using a two liter bottle with sugar, yeast, and warm water.
gotcha so you attract them to the outskirts of the yard and it keeps them from coming up to the house. thats very interesting. makes sense.
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1092
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#8

Post by troglodyte » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2. The yeast feeds on the sugar and produces CO2 which attracts the skeeters. Not sure what the salt is for, probably to keep mold growth down. Mosquitoes are attracted to the greater CO2 concentration in the bottle.
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor
School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.

User avatar

G26ster
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2454
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#9

Post by G26ster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Says to keep the water level in the tube up to "fill" levels. So let me see, you hang the tube 100 feet out in the yard to attract mosguitos, great. But what what happens when you need to refill to "fill" levels when the water evaporates? Aren't the mosquitos there waiting for you when you do? :biggrinjester:

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23768
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#10

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am

G26ster wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 pm
Says to keep the water level in the tube up to "fill" levels. So let me see, you hang the tube 100 feet out in the yard to attract mosguitos, great. But what what happens when you need to refill to "fill" levels when the water evaporates? Aren't the mosquitos there waiting for you when you do? :biggrinjester:
You do it when they aren’t looking. :mrgreen:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

G26ster
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2454
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#11

Post by G26ster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am
G26ster wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 pm
Says to keep the water level in the tube up to "fill" levels. So let me see, you hang the tube 100 feet out in the yard to attract mosguitos, great. But what what happens when you need to refill to "fill" levels when the water evaporates? Aren't the mosquitos there waiting for you when you do? :biggrinjester:
You do it when they aren’t looking. :mrgreen:
Ok, but wouldn't weekdays be better when they're away for work :mrgreen:

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8296
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#12

Post by mojo84 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Image

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23768
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#13

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:45 pm

G26ster wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 am
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am
G26ster wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 pm
Says to keep the water level in the tube up to "fill" levels. So let me see, you hang the tube 100 feet out in the yard to attract mosguitos, great. But what what happens when you need to refill to "fill" levels when the water evaporates? Aren't the mosquitos there waiting for you when you do? :biggrinjester:
You do it when they aren’t looking. :mrgreen:
Ok, but wouldn't weekdays be better when they're away for work :mrgreen:
Probably, but I’m retired so that’s not a problem for me. :mrgreen:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

G26ster
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2454
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#14

Post by G26ster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:45 pm
G26ster wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 am
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am
G26ster wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 pm
Says to keep the water level in the tube up to "fill" levels. So let me see, you hang the tube 100 feet out in the yard to attract mosguitos, great. But what what happens when you need to refill to "fill" levels when the water evaporates? Aren't the mosquitos there waiting for you when you do? :biggrinjester:
You do it when they aren’t looking. :mrgreen:
Ok, but wouldn't weekdays be better when they're away for work :mrgreen:
Probably, but I’m retired so that’s not a problem for me. :mrgreen:
I meant the mosquitos were away for work, not you. :smilelol5:

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23768
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Mosquito control - cheap

#15

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:15 pm

G26ster wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:45 pm
G26ster wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 am
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am
G26ster wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 pm
Says to keep the water level in the tube up to "fill" levels. So let me see, you hang the tube 100 feet out in the yard to attract mosguitos, great. But what what happens when you need to refill to "fill" levels when the water evaporates? Aren't the mosquitos there waiting for you when you do? :biggrinjester:
You do it when they aren’t looking. :mrgreen:
Ok, but wouldn't weekdays be better when they're away for work :mrgreen:
Probably, but I’m retired so that’s not a problem for me. :mrgreen:
I meant the mosquitos were away for work, not you. :smilelol5:
Yeah, I can get ‘em any time! :lol:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”