ANTHONY KENNEDY IS RETIRING!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 16

Re: ANTHONY KENNEDY IS RETIRING!

Post by RoyGBiv »

mojo84 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 am
RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:26 am
mojo84 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:23 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:34 pm Re: Kavanaugh...

He's a non-starter for me...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/32411/ru ... en-shapiro
Kavanaugh upheld Obamacare in Sissel v. Department of Health and Human Services as well as in Seven-Sky v. Holder, in which he stated that the Obamacare penalties were actually “taxes.”
I guess you are pretty disappointed.
I would have preferred Kethledge (or Hardiman).
Kavanaugh's pro-2A ruling and several rulings against bureaucratic overreach are encouraging, but he appears to be reluctant to rein in domestic spying (warrantless data collection on US citizens) and was also deferential on the Obamacare "tax"...

Obviously he's light years ahead of Ginsburg, Kagan and Sotomayor on all of these things, but, Kethledge would have been my pick.
Thanks for the feedback.
:thumbs2:
I guess "non-starter" was a bit overstated... :lol:
"Last of the best"... "Fourth of Four".... maybe? :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Abraham
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Abraham »

At this point, as long as he/she is a Conservative.

No more commies pretending to be American.

KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KLB »

Here's an analysis of Kavanaugh's views on the Second Amendment:

http://reason.com/volokh/2018/07/09/jud ... -amendment

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Kavanaugh upheld Obamacare in Sissel v. Department of Health and Human Services as well as in Seven-Sky v. Holder, in which he stated that the Obamacare penalties were actually “taxes.”
Kavanaugh's pro-2A ruling and several rulings against bureaucratic overreach are encouraging, but he appears to be reluctant to rein in domestic spying (warrantless data collection on US citizens) and was also deferential on the Obamacare "tax"...

Obviously he's light years ahead of Ginsburg, Kagan and Sotomayor on all of these things, but, Kethledge would have been my pick.
I agree that I am disappointed it was Kavanaugh, and would have preferred either Barret or Kethledge, but I think that the worst will see out of Kavanaugh is that he’ll be in the John Roberts mold. Who knows ....maybe he’ll sharpen up a bit.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TreyHouston »

jason812 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:41 pm Maybe Barrett will be nominated as Ginsburg's replacement. You know the left will demand a woman.
What doesn’t the Left demand? They are crying 3 year olds and that the sane mentality as well
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

jason812
Posts in topic: 11

Post by jason812 »

TreyHouston wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:33 pm
jason812 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:41 pm Maybe Barrett will be nominated as Ginsburg's replacement. You know the left will demand a woman.
What doesn’t the Left demand? They are crying 3 year olds and that the sane mentality as well
True, but it would be funny to have Barrett nominated and Trump say, "I listened to your wishes and nominated a woman."

Trump could nominate Marx or Alinsky and the left would still find something to complain about.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

jason812 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:37 pm
TreyHouston wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:33 pm
True, but it would be funny to have Barrett nominated and Trump say, "I listened to your wishes and nominated a woman."

Trump could nominate Marx or Alinsky and the left would still find something to complain about.
that could be entertaining.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

mojo84
Posts in topic: 41

Post by mojo84 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:31 am
mojo84 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks for the feedback.
:thumbs2:
I guess "non-starter" was a bit overstated... :lol:
"Last of the best"... "Fourth of Four".... maybe? :mrgreen:
Hey, at least you knew enough about him to have an opinion. ;-)
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 16

Post by RoyGBiv »

Napolitano on Kavanaugh.

Filling The Swamp
Now he has given us a nominee to the highest court in the land who typifies the culture he railed against when he claimed he'd drain the swamp. This man and this culture accept cutting holes in the Fourth Amendment because they don't believe that it should protect privacy. This man and this culture accept unlimited spying on innocent Americans by the National Security Agency because they don't believe that the NSA is subject to the Constitution.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Pawpaw »

Democrats Don't Fear Brett Kavanaugh; They Fear The Constitution
Sure, some of the anger aimed at Donald Trump's nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court is partisan bluster meant to placate the activist base. Still, most Democrats were going to get hysterical about any pick, because any conservative pick was going to take the Constitution far too literally for their liking. For those who rely on the administrative state and coercion as a policy tool -- forcing people to join political organizations, forcing them to support abortion, forcing them to subsidize socially progressive sacraments, forcing them to create products that undermine their faith, and so on -- that's a big problem.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

twjones wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:13 am 2A being discussed right now in confirmation hearing.

Fenisten talking about her assault weapons ban.
The fact is that she, and all those of her ilk, hate the citizenry being armed against crime and tyranny.

EDITED TO ADD: Something wrong with the time-stamp on the post. I posted it at 12:55, Texas time. Not sure what happened. :shock:

twjones
Posts in topic: 4

Post by twjones »

2A being discussed right now in confirmation hearing.

Fenisten talking about her assault weapons ban.

BBYC
Posts in topic: 10

Post by BBYC »

https://dailycaller.com/2018/09/18/kava ... inquiries/

Even if it happened, what's the statute of limitations, considering he was under 18?
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jusme »

BBYC wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:01 pm https://dailycaller.com/2018/09/18/kava ... inquiries/

Even if it happened, what's the statute of limitations, considering he was under 18?

It's well past the statute of limitations, and based on what has been said by this woman, even if it weren't, there is way too much doubt to ever get an indictment, much less any conviction. She doesn't remember the year, she doesn't remember where it occurred, she doesn't remember who else was there, and she had been drinking. It wasn't traumatic enough for her to say anything to anyone, until 2012, when she supposedly, told her couple's therapist, but even that had different details, and doesn't name Kavanaugh. It's very convenient, when you are a Trump hater, to suddenly remember, a person you knew as a teenager, who just happens to be a SCOTUS, appointee, to have been an attacker, of women. :roll:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Off-Topic”