Bye Bye DISH

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bye Bye DISH

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Beiruty wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:29 am For DISH service, I was paying $180/month for like a decade. Finally, SlingTV came on the market with true legal competition to DISH Exclusive Arabic Channels.

The sales rep was almost begging to keep the service, even came to point of name your price!
Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Youtube and Apple TV and now SlingTV is dealing the same death to the Cable and SAT Services as mobile phone did for the landlines.
Interesting. I never figured you to be a slinger. :biggrinjester:

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott Farkus »

What's the issue with Roku? I'm still clinging to cable but we have a Roku that we use for Netflix and Amazon Prime that seems to work pretty well. Am I missing something?

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

Scott Farkus wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:17 am What's the issue with Roku? I'm still clinging to cable but we have a Roku that we use for Netflix and Amazon Prime that seems to work pretty well. Am I missing something?
Why SlingTV? Because they now offer Arabic channels (DRAMA) for my wife, and her mom.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Beiruty wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:45 amWhy SlingTV? Because they now offer Arabic channels (DRAMA) for my wife, and her mom.
Yes, I understand why you'd get Sling. I've been considering either it or Sony Vue for a while myself. I was responding to a couple of folks who indicated that Roku devices had fallen out of favor and I was wondering if I was missing out on something. Ours seems to be working fine but if there's something better out there I'd like to know about it.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Roku + Sling/Netflix/Amazon Prime here. We turn on CBS (Big Brother) or HBO Now depending on the time of year (Westworld and Game of Thrones are a must)

Haven't had cable/satellite in years now, and that's just fine.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Only thing i watch on XFinity is boxing. For all other entertainment i peek at the neighbors.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

We have Direct for now but I just heard that ATT is about to raise the basic subscription fees by a hefty amount. We had Direct TV Now for about a month but our internet speed was not up to it. Got tired of watching the circle. If the rates go up again Ive got to do something else. A one time fee for an antenna may be in our future.
N5PNZ

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Anyone using Kodi and add-ons to stream via a Fire stick?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TreyHouston »

2farnorth wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:52 pm We have Direct for now but I just heard that ATT is about to raise the basic subscription fees by a hefty amount. We had Direct TV Now for about a month but our internet speed was not up to it. Got tired of watching the circle. If the rates go up again Ive got to do something else. A one time fee for an antenna may be in our future.
Our antenna cost $40 and is inside the attic. You are already wired with coax cable. All you have to do is hook it up!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

TreyHouston wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:00 pm
2farnorth wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:52 pm We have Direct for now but I just heard that ATT is about to raise the basic subscription fees by a hefty amount. We had Direct TV Now for about a month but our internet speed was not up to it. Got tired of watching the circle. If the rates go up again Ive got to do something else. A one time fee for an antenna may be in our future.
Our antenna cost $40 and is inside the attic. You are already wired with coax cable. All you have to do is hook it up!
Ours would need to be elevated and possibly a rotater. Most stations are 60 miles to the south but our most local one is 30 miles WNW. To get the DFW stations, 60 miles away, it would have to be one of the bigger antennas. Lot of people have tried the attic mount around here and it just doesn't do the job. I'll check on some pre-amplified omni-directional antennas but I'm not really a fan of them. They adequate for RVs but not so good for home use. I'm a ham radio operator so I have other considerations to address also.
N5PNZ

PBR

Post by PBR »

mojo84 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:32 pm Anyone using Kodi and add-ons to stream via a Fire stick?
I do but not via firestick, I purchased an android box and use it instead. Seems to work better and faster with way more options.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

:iagree: I cancelled Dish today after testing YouTube TV for a couple weeks. We were able to eliminate all the boxes and a lot of the wires while having more channels and networks that are of interest to us. On top of that, it's only $40 a month plus tax.

I still have Netflix, YouTube and Amazon for movies on demand. Very confident I am going to enjoy this much more.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Off-Topic”