How "Prepped" Are you?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Re: How "Prepped" Are you?

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I keep a running list of people nearby who stock food and water. Especially the anti gun people. :biggrinjester:

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

Post by troglodyte »

Depends on what one is prepping for.

My immediate prepping is for short-time disruptions
-Loss of job(s)
-Loss of health - temporary
-Natural disasters - Tornado most likely but maybe a blizzard or a big thunderstorm could leave use without power for a week or more.
-General self-defense of our person and homestead
-Minor outbreaks of civil unrest

To those I feel pretty well prepared and am satisfied we could ride it out. We have enough beans, bullets, and Band-Aids to get by. We could hold on for months if we aren't overrun or picked off.

After that it's kind of a roll of the dice.

-Large scale natural disaster
-More organized civil unrest
-Extended loss of job or health

I feel we could do OK but it is going to be a lot harder and may necessitate calling the troops and resources together. We have a garden and some chickens. Water would be the biggest issue.

Collapse of the country or some other catastrophic event, well it will depend a lot on how things go. Bugging out is not too likely. Living up on the plains means a self-sufficient bug out location is hours away at 75 mph on a good road. Even if we had ample water and game locally there's not too many places to hide, and even then not for long. The hoards will come, or maybe just a quite visitor in the night, and it will just be a matter of time. We will have to band together. My wife and I, and even if we throw in my two sons and DILs and a few friends, are not going to be a defensible squad for very long. Illness and injury will take it's toll soon enough. We will need to form larger communities and reestablish a rudimentary government for any of us to survive, short of being a hermit in the mountains somewhere.

So my main preps are for what I consider the most likely and the ones I can most likely have a chance of surviving. As those grow then I start chipping away at the zombie apocalypse preps. But I am also prepping for my kids. They have their own preps but if mine are not used by the time I pass or just can't hold my own then the kids will get a good boost to their preps.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

03Lightningrocks

Wow troglodyte, you have put some thought into this. If things do fall apart, can I come hang out at your place? :mrgreen:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The most essential thing I have for emergencies is my coffee kit.
Mechanical handcrank coffee grinder .. Little sterno/candle stove. and a pour over coffee maker w filters.
If I don't have my coffee there isn't much sense on continuing onward.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

03Lightningrocks

Liberty wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:10 am The most essential thing I have for emergencies is my coffee kit.
Mechanical handcrank coffee grinder .. Little sterno/candle stove. and a pour over coffee maker w filters.
OK. I just changed my mind. I will be hanging out with Liberty. He seems to have his priorities straight.

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tex1961 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 am
Liberty wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:10 am The most essential thing I have for emergencies is my coffee kit.
OK. I just changed my mind. I will be hanging out with Liberty. He seems to have his priorities straight.
:thumbs2: :iagree:

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 am
If you want coffee, Liberty is your best bet, we don't drink it. We keep some around for visitors but I wouldn't trust my coffee making skills.

Most "prepping" is just thinking through what are the most likely events that would disrupt your life. Hurricanes, winter storms, and other short-term disruptions don't require much more than what you probably already have. A few tweaks and you're squared away.

For larger scale events such as civil unrest it requires a little more thought but again it's just a little planning and a little storing away.

The end of the world as we know it - Well, it's going to depend on a lot of things.

But for coffee, Liberty, you'd better put on a big pot.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

03Lightningrocks

Then I have my plan. I sure am glad I read this thread. :mrgreen:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"civil unrest"

What does that mean?

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MaduroBU »

Economics is the real zombie apocalypse. Business cycles caused by central bank credit injection and subsequent malinvestment leading to an inevitable restructuring of debt and reallocation of capital (aka "Depression") aren't nearly as fun as Brad Pitt shooting a zombie in the face.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 pm I keep a running list of people nearby who stock food and water. Especially the anti gun people. :biggrinjester:
When the people shall have nothing more to eat, they will eat the rich.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I didn’t mention this in my previous post, but I often say this in conversations about prepping...... one of your very best preps is community. Building relationships between yourself and like-minded people, who have also taken it upon themselves to prep, is a very effective strategy. The “lone wolf” is going to end up like all lone wolves - dying alone....possibly at the hands of another. But a community not only makes up for holes in one another’s preps that maybe they didn’t think of individually, but it also provides a larger pool of skills and knowledge. It allows for some degree of specialization, which means that the memebers benefit from the most knowledgeable/skilled individuals at various disciplines.

A community can defend itself more efficiently than a single individual or single family can. Depending on how long the crisis lasts, a community can better provide for the education of its children than a single family/single parent can. A community can grow a larger variety of crops and raise a larger variety of livestock than a single family can. And, for those who are spiritually inclined, a faith community benefits by having additional members.

It is true that the most well-rounded individual should be able to do all of those things for himself, but reality is nowhere near cooperative with “should”. Community is a bulwark against the inevitable lack of cooperation from reality.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:22 am "civil unrest"

What does that mean?
It’s what happens when the left gets complete control over all departments of the gov’t. In other words, it’s not that far off.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”