Unmask Antifa Act

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#16

Post by crazy2medic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:16 am

Congress passes some REALLY dumb laws, I wish they only met once every other year, that way they could focus on important stuff!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8399
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#17

Post by Abraham » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 am

I don't care for criminals wearing masks.

They need to be de-masked.

How to go about it...?

I don't know, but 'something' has to done to de-mask these anti-fa criminals.

So, no 'new laws' as that offends some sensibilities...

What then?

Let mobs of violent masked criminals run the streets because laws addressing this ugly phenomenon make you squeamish ?

Is that your answer?


apostate
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#18

Post by apostate » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:33 am

crazy2medic wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:58 am
OlBill wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:43 am
Bad law. 15 years for a dress code. We don't need more laws.
Are you suggesting (Gasp) that congress not pass laws? Whatever would they do? You would take away the only thing that makes them important!
So let them pass the hearing protection act and national reciprocity. Heck, let them repeal NFA if they want to be really important. :mrgreen:


PitBoss
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:50 am

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#19

Post by PitBoss » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am

Well, there goes my participation in paintball.... :shock:

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 17524
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#20

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am

Folks, you need to read what Andy posted. Some act like simply wearing a ski mask during cold weather would be prohibited. Here is what he posted: "Under the act, anyone "wearing a mask" or in disguise who "injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates any person ... in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege" would be subject to a fine or up to 15 years in prison."

Wearing a mask or other disguise while committing a crime makes identification of a criminal next to impossible. Why do some of you want to protect people who are engaging in criminal activity? Are you that anti-government?

Wearing a mask is not like passing a law that tells criminals to obey the law. If, while wearing a mask, you are part of a mob that assaults someone, then you can be arrested/convicted/imprisoned for being part of the mod while wearing a mask. Wearing a mask is not like "cosmetic crimes" such having a pistol grip or flash suppressor on a semi-auto rifle. Neither of those features are necessary to the firing of a rifle. Wearing a mask while participating in mob crimes are mission-critical for most cowards in the crowd. They are present only because they can do so anonymously.

Chas.


PitBoss
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:50 am

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#21

Post by PitBoss » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:37 am

apostate wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:33 am
crazy2medic wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:58 am
OlBill wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:43 am
Bad law. 15 years for a dress code. We don't need more laws.
Are you suggesting (Gasp) that congress not pass laws? Whatever would they do? You would take away the only thing that makes them important!
So let them pass the hearing protection act and national reciprocity. Heck, let them repeal NFA if they want to be really important. :mrgreen:
:iagree:


fullhouse
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#22

Post by fullhouse » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:46 am

I'm all for it. Look at all the antifa thugs that got away with all the beatings to innocent people because they couldn't be identified.

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7167
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#23

Post by ELB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:09 am

If the law was good enough for Democratic Party thugs in the last century it's good enough for Democratic Party thugs in this century.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
“The only thing more enjoyable than seeing your opponent lose an election they rigged is seeing them lose an investigation they rigged.” Author unknown but dead on the mark.


lama
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#24

Post by lama » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:35 am

Charles,

I understand your point. However, even in your explanation "Wearing a mask while participating in mob crimes are mission-critical for most cowards in the crowd." you point out that the law is making it illegal to break the law while wearing a mask. It is already illegal to break the law.

What value is in a law that makes illegal activity more illegal. If the point is only to extend the penalty then extend the penalty for the laws they are breaking.

Also, the tokenness of calling it the "Unmask Antifa Act" makes it clear its not about stopping criminals it is about making a political statement. (It also likely ensures it will not pass, reinforcing that it is a political statement.) Criminals of all backgrounds wear masks if it was about criminals and stopping their activity it would be the "Unmask Criminals Act" or maybe the "Unmask Evil Act".


jason812
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1249
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#25

Post by jason812 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:42 am

I understand both sides of the argument. My question is this: In a riot situation, how many times has law enforcement hunted down the people who participated based on media accounts and facial recognition?


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2695
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#26

Post by flechero » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:06 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am
Folks, you need to read what Andy posted. Some act like simply wearing a ski mask during cold weather would be prohibited. Here is what he posted: "Under the act, anyone "wearing a mask" or in disguise who "injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates any person ... in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege" would be subject to a fine or up to 15 years in prison."

Wearing a mask or other disguise while committing a crime makes identification of a criminal next to impossible. Why do some of you want to protect people who are engaging in criminal activity? Are you that anti-government?

Wearing a mask is not like passing a law that tells criminals to obey the law. If, while wearing a mask, you are part of a mob that assaults someone, then you can be arrested/convicted/imprisoned for being part of the mod while wearing a mask. Wearing a mask is not like "cosmetic crimes" such having a pistol grip or flash suppressor on a semi-auto rifle. Neither of those features are necessary to the firing of a rifle. Wearing a mask while participating in mob crimes are mission-critical for most cowards in the crowd. They are present only because they can do so anonymously.

Chas.
I agree with your post and think that them wearing masks also makes any crime they commit premeditated...

This would be more palatable to everyone if police were already out arresting said criminals as it was happening, and the masks aided in their escape. As it stands, it's like it's allowed to go on and occasionally if something really bad happens and is caught on video, they look for the perp later. I understand the risk in having a police force meet them head on, on the street but at some point we need to overwhelm them with force to prove the point that we won't tolerate the mob. Until that happens, I think it's all a mental exercise in discussion.

User avatar

Topic author
AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 10550
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Garland, TX

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#27

Post by AndyC » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:37 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am
Wearing a mask while participating in mob crimes are mission-critical for most cowards in the crowd. They are present only because they can do so anonymously.
That's how I'm reading the intent of this law - to scare off those who join protests looking to create violence only because they can be pretty much anonymous. Discourage their anonymity with heavy penalties and I reckon we'd see a lot fewer of them. Yes, ideally they'd be arrested while actually rioting, but often you can only go looking for them post-event.
jason812 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:42 am
I understand both sides of the argument. My question is this: In a riot situation, how many times has law enforcement hunted down the people who participated based on media accounts and facial recognition?
These, for example: http://www.wmur.com/article/keene-polic ... ed/5194335

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... d9647c7300
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners


Rob72
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am
Location: Gulf Coast

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#28

Post by Rob72 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:13 pm

lama wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:35 am
Charles,

I understand your point. However, even in your explanation "Wearing a mask while participating in mob crimes are mission-critical for most cowards in the crowd." you point out that the law is making it illegal to break the law while wearing a mask. It is already illegal to break the law.

What value is in a law that makes illegal activity more illegal. If the point is only to extend the penalty then extend the penalty for the laws they are breaking.

Also, the tokenness of calling it the "Unmask Antifa Act" makes it clear its not about stopping criminals it is about making a political statement. (It also likely ensures it will not pass, reinforcing that it is a political statement.) Criminals of all backgrounds wear masks if it was about criminals and stopping their activity it would be the "Unmask Criminals Act" or maybe the "Unmask Evil Act".
Wearing a mask defeats most all "routine" surveillance cameras that would be able to capture images for facial-recognition. Facial-recognition tracking would allow for prosecution under RICO and/or various domestic-terrorism/hate-crime laws. This is specifically aimed at organized groups, participating in orchestrated efforts.

If you're involved in a mob-event, generally it's pretty easy to plead down to a misdemeanor, unless you're caught, face-on, dropping a cinder block on someone's head. This legislation essentially defines "aggravated felony assault", by stating that substantive effort to conceal one's identity is acknowledging that one intends to participate in violence. As always, strict legalism will bear all sorts of unintended consequences, unfortunately.

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4811
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#29

Post by bblhd672 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:30 pm

My problem with passing another federal law is that states and cities are already openly defying existing federal laws as they see fit.
If the local and state law agencies are not enforcing existing laws against violent protestors what good is another law?
Are we supposed to believe the FBI is suddenly going to go after masked violent protesters (whom they might just be in agreement with) when yet another federal law is passed?

The problem isn’t antifa’s costume, it’s that many politicians and senior law enforcement at all levels agree with their progressive socialist agenda.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2420
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

#30

Post by Flightmare » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:38 pm

I just wonder how they're going to make these criminals obey THIS law, when they have only sparingly enforced the issue of rioting and assault.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”