Unmask Antifa Act

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Unmask Antifa Act

Post by Abraham »

Flightmare,

You sir, hit the nail on the head.

Start arresting these cretins with the full force of the law and see how quickly there 'movement' dries up.

Leftists mayors and chiefs of police allow this anti-fa criminality to continue...but were they pressured by the public to enforce anti-rioting violence against innocent citizens, etc., we'd start seeing progress, but so far commie mayors/chiefs of police continue to encourage, masked violent lawlessness...

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Abraham wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:53 pm
Start arresting these cretins with the full force of the law and see how quickly there 'movement' dries up.

Leftists mayors and chiefs of police allow this anti-fa criminality to continue...but were they pressured by the public to enforce anti-rioting violence against innocent citizens, etc., we'd start seeing progress, but so far commie mayors/chiefs of police continue to encourage, masked violent lawlessness...

I seem to recall a particular Mayor in Baltimore who instructed the police to hold back and let the crowd riot to blow off steam after an unpopular verdict. To me, the main problem is that there are elements in government and law enforcement that pick sides when they are supposed to up-holding the existing laws, regardless of political or social orientation. It is up to a jury or trier of fact to render a verdict, or pick a side.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 amWearing a mask or other disguise while committing a crime makes identification of a criminal next to impossible. Why do some of you want to protect people who are engaging in criminal activity? Are you that anti-government?

Wearing a mask is not like passing a law that tells criminals to obey the law. If, while wearing a mask, you are part of a mob that assaults someone, then you can be arrested/convicted/imprisoned for being part of the mod while wearing a mask. Wearing a mask is not like "cosmetic crimes" such having a pistol grip or flash suppressor on a semi-auto rifle. Neither of those features are necessary to the firing of a rifle. Wearing a mask while participating in mob crimes are mission-critical for most cowards in the crowd. They are present only because they can do so anonymously.

Chas.
If these thugs are not being arrested today for participating in a riot, or for the crimes against persons and property that goes along with it, how will their behavior change when you create a new penalty for doing so while wearing a mask?

If the reality was that lots and lots of arrests were made at these events and the shame of it was that some thugs escaped identification because they were wearing masks, I'd be a "maybe" on adding a mask enhancement. As it is today, hardly anyone is being arrested. Unless you make it illegal to show up wearing a mask before the crimes are committed (pre-crime!) I don't see how a mask enhancement is a deterrent when we're not even arresting a meaningful portion of the criminal actors for crimes already on the books.

If I show up to participate in an Antifa riot, and nobody starts arresting me, am I really going to leave my mask at home so this law can make it easier for the police to ID me from video and catch me later? Will the police arrest more rioters solely because the penalty for the crime was bigger? I hope the answer is no on that.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

let's see. if we make it illegal to wear a mask while you commit other crimes, then in the event of a masked riot, you STILL have to prove the arson, theft, vandalism, assault, etc. in order to levy the add-on charge of wearing a mask. And with them masked, how do you prove who committed a crime? So you're still where you were before. Not logical.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 pm let's see. if we make it illegal to wear a mask while you commit other crimes, then in the event of a masked riot, you STILL have to prove the arson, theft, vandalism, assault, etc. in order to levy the add-on charge of wearing a mask. And with them masked, how do you prove who committed a crime? So you're still where you were before. Not logical.
That's not the way the law would work.

Chas.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am Folks, you need to read what Andy posted. Some act like simply wearing a ski mask during cold weather would be prohibited. Here is what he posted: "Under the act, anyone "wearing a mask" or in disguise who "injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates any person ... in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege" would be subject to a fine or up to 15 years in prison."

Wearing a mask or other disguise while committing a crime makes identification of a criminal next to impossible. Why do some of you want to protect people who are engaging in criminal activity? Are you that anti-government?

Wearing a mask is not like passing a law that tells criminals to obey the law. If, while wearing a mask, you are part of a mob that assaults someone, then you can be arrested/convicted/imprisoned for being part of the mod while wearing a mask. Wearing a mask is not like "cosmetic crimes" such having a pistol grip or flash suppressor on a semi-auto rifle. Neither of those features are necessary to the firing of a rifle. Wearing a mask while participating in mob crimes are mission-critical for most cowards in the crowd. They are present only because they can do so anonymously.

Chas.
Charles, I am all in favor, of putting as many criminals in jail as possible, but I think, having something like this at the federal level, starts down a slippery slope, and removes responsibility, at State level. Would the Feds, be involved in prosecuting, every thug, who robs a convienience store, wearing a bandanna over his face? He would definitely fall into the threatening, or intimidating category. I think the case load would become overwhelming, and if they refused to get involved, won't that give low life's like Antifa, grounds for claiming selective prosecution?
I'm not trying to be argumentative, and not being a lawyer, maybe I'm over thinking this. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Twinkies
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Twinkies »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:26 pm
JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 pm let's see. if we make it illegal to wear a mask while you commit other crimes, then in the event of a masked riot, you STILL have to prove the arson, theft, vandalism, assault, etc. in order to levy the add-on charge of wearing a mask. And with them masked, how do you prove who committed a crime? So you're still where you were before. Not logical.
That's not the way the law would work.

Chas.
The purpose of the law is to prosecute the UT art student at a BLM protest for somebody else breaking windows, looting or attacking cops.

Return to “Off-Topic”