Solar Power

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Solar Power

Post by strogg »

Abraham wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:23 am Still crappy ROI.

Depending on sun, wind, methane gas, crop circles and prayer won't grant you energy.
100% agreed. In some of my calculations, I got negative ROI. This is how I see solar. It is a great concept. It has its merits. And yes, it will do its part to save the earth in due time. At this point, the technology behind it isn't mature enough yet. It's starting to make economic sense, but I feel we are still quite a ways off before we can really consider adopting it en masse.

I remember 15-20 years ago, CA was really pushing for the whole solar thing and was basically giving away 80% in rebates. And at the same time, it was more detrimental to the environment to utilize solar than not for one simple reason: it took more energy to produce the panels than it would ever produce in its lifetime. Nowadays it's different, but it's still not quite there.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

I've been trying to train my dogs to run on a power generating treadmill, but so far, no luck. :biggrinjester:

But I have looked into alternative power sources, somewhat, but right now, they are too cost prohibitive for me. I will be watching this topic though, just to maybe get some ideas.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

jason812 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 am For wind, expect to put up a 30ft diameter windmill on at least a 100ft tower if you want anything out of it. I doubt many jurisdictions will let you do that but I have the luxury of being in the middle of nowhere.
I don’t think it needs to be 100 foot high but I guess that depends on where you are, the Green Event Center in Friendswood has two wind turbines and they are pretty low. They are not the traditional “pin wheel” or fan shape though, they are vertical axis blades. If you zoom in on the pictures you can see one: https://www.greeneventcenter.com/facility/

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

We have 4 Bosch 100W panels powering a solar well pump but that's it. We can pump 8,000 gallons a day with deep cycle batteries wired in for 24 hour pumping but I haven't hooked them up. Waiting for zombies and the main house well is all we need for now...

No way I could justify the cost of pulling off the grid completely. We can charge all our LED flashlights, most other "stuff" and run LED lights in the house with the panel charged deep cycle batteries but that's about as far as we went.
III

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

mrvmax wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:36 pm
jason812 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 am For wind, expect to put up a 30ft diameter windmill on at least a 100ft tower if you want anything out of it. I doubt many jurisdictions will let you do that but I have the luxury of being in the middle of nowhere.
I don’t think it needs to be 100 foot high but I guess that depends on where you are, the Green Event Center in Friendswood has two wind turbines and they are pretty low. They are not the traditional “pin wheel” or fan shape though, they are vertical axis blades. If you zoom in on the pictures you can see one: https://www.greeneventcenter.com/facility/
There is more wind the higher you go and you need clearance from objects around the turbine or there can be turbulence. Those might work but they probably more for show than performance. There is less to go wrong with vertical turbines though. 100ft gets you into clean air and more wind. If it were me, I would maximize the output anyway I could.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

rbwhatever1 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:41 pm We have 4 Bosch 100W panels powering a solar well pump but that's it. We can pump 8,000 gallons a day with deep cycle batteries wired in for 24 hour pumping but I haven't hooked them up. Waiting for zombies and the main house well is all we need for now...

No way I could justify the cost of pulling off the grid completely. We can charge all our LED flashlights, most other "stuff" and run LED lights in the house with the panel charged deep cycle batteries but that's about as far as we went.
How deep is your well? Mines 940 with the pump at 820. Can't imagine using solar for it.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

dale blanker
Banned

Post by dale blanker »

Has anyone had experience with Green Energy Tribune? A con game???

https://greenenergytribune.com/state-la ... gKTOPD_BwE
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

comp73 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:17 am What about these?

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

They come with a lifetime warranty and if you time it right, you might even get your homeowner's insurance to partially pay for them.
The warranty specifically excludes capacity loss, which is the failure mode for lithium ion batteries.

cirus

Post by cirus »

When I travel out west in the Rockies I see some smaller homes that are completely off the grid. They don't need ac at that elevation and they have all gas appliances. Heat, dryer, range and water heater are all gas. That leaves nothing but 120volt load except maybe a 240 volt 20 amp circuit for a well. I can see solar being feasible in that situation.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

jason812 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:57 pm
rbwhatever1 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:41 pm We have 4 Bosch 100W panels powering a solar well pump but that's it. We can pump 8,000 gallons a day with deep cycle batteries wired in for 24 hour pumping but I haven't hooked them up. Waiting for zombies and the main house well is all we need for now...

How deep is your well? Mines 940 with the pump at 820. Can't imagine using solar for it.
That's a deep one. We're on the western edge of the Trinity Aquifer with water at 40'-110' so none of the pumps are over 100' deep. The bottom of the windmill was 85' deep and our main well pump is at 90'. We have a useable hand pump well with the bottom at 60'. I couldn't imagine having to crank water up from 900'.
III

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

TAM, have you considered installing solar on your RV? I'm putting together a 100 Watt panel with a Marine Battery Going off the grid can make more economic sense on a smaller scale.

I'm putting together a small 100watt system with a Marine Battery that should be able to keep running a VHF/UHF radio plus a few electronics and chargers.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

GameGeorge

Post by GameGeorge »

"The warranty specifically excludes capacity loss, which is the failure mode for lithium ion batteries."
Oh, I didn't even realize that 'till now.

Return to “Off-Topic”