Lemonade Stand: Round Three (for HFD 75 this time)

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 3

Lemonade Stand: Round Three (for HFD 75 this time)

Post by Vol Texan »

Two years ago, at age 8, my daughter did her first lemonade stand to buy breakfast for our Precinct 5 Constables. She ended up earning ~$650, and was able to bring food to them several times over the year.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=85457

Then last year, at age 9, she did it again, but this time with the intent of buying a bunch of CoolCop units to help the constables with the summertime heat. With the help of a news story on KHOU, she raised the bar a bit and earned ~$1850. The manufacturer price-matched for us, which allowed us to buy ~$3700 worth of the devices - one for every car working out of our local station (plus a few to send back to the headquarters station). viewtopic.php?f=83&t=89631

Well, it's time for round 3, and at age 10, she has turned her attention on our local fire station, HPD 75. This Saturday and Sunday, she'll be selling her lemonade from noon until 3pm at the Kroger on the corner of Briar Forest & Dairy Ashford. KHOU ran another story this week, and hopefully that'll help bring in some more thirsty Houstonians.

If you happen to be the Westchase / Energy Corridor this weekend, please stop by and say hi!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

1alexie
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lemonade Stand: Round Three (for HFD 75 this time)

Post by 1alexie »

Your daughter has a good heart. She will surely have a good future in the business world.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Wishing her much success for a great cause!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I wish I was closer. I would come buy a glass and pay for a gallon!
Do what you say you're gonna do.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

What plans does she have for this years funds?

:thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Excellent. Keep up the great work!

Topic author
Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:01 pm What plans does she have for this years funds?

:thumbs2:
Her original plan was just to contribute to their food pantry. They work 24 hour shifts and need to buy their own food. Our neighborhood swim team usually does a fundraiser for them for this purpose, but weather, etc. prohibited them from doing it this year.

But we found out about their wish for a decontamination clothing washer for their personal clothing that they wear under the turnout gear. Apparently, firefighters face a significantly higher risk of cancer, and one of the suspected root causes is poor decontamination of clothing. Currently, they bring their soiled personal clothes home to wash with their family laundry, and they’d like to reduce that if possible.

We’re still researching options on this, but it seems this is the preferred target of the funds. If we can’t raise enough funds for a washer, then we’ll find another way to donate to them.

Here is a google search showing pricing for these machines in general: goo.gl/7611ML

Yes, $4000 is a big goal, but we’ve been surprised in the past. We never expected to raise as much as we did last year, and this year is already starting out good. One of my colleagues here at work already donated $100 on the promise that I’d bring her a glass of lemonade to the office on Monday. Only 39 more to go!

Side note to all: RoyGBiv gave one of last year’s biggest donations for the CoolCop campaign. He personally paid for several of the units so he could gift them to his local officers in the DFW area.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Day one went well - the kids raised around $620. It looks like they'll fall way short of their goal, but a good time was had by all.

Early in the morning, the ladder truck crew came by, and then later the other crew came to visit. In between, some friends of ours that are VFD also showed their support for the kids.

Let's see what day two brings in for us!

TomS

Post by TomS »

That’s pretty cool, you must be very proud.

Return to “Off-Topic”