TX: No place but Austin

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 9594
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

TX: No place but Austin

#1

Post by philip964 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:22 pm

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/local/ ... ogdF6tE4M/

Austin report on Confederate statues raises idea of changing the name of the city to someone who opposed slavery. Maybe a woman or Cesar Chavez.

Austin “also opposed an attempt by Mexico to ban slavery in the province of Tejas and said if slaves were freed, they would turn into “vagabonds, a nuisance and a menace.””

Barton Springs would have to be renamed as he was a slave holder and a whole bunch of street names changed to sanitize the city of its history.


OneGun
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Houston

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#2

Post by OneGun » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:27 pm

Slavery was part of our history. It was not a highlight, but it is our history. We own it. Re-writing our history will not fix anything except make Liberals feel good.

Forgetting our history will make us repeat history. Remember the holocaust? It took a world force to stop genocide. So, why does the world tolerate genocide in other parts of the world today?

We should never forget!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

User avatar

AF-Odin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:00 pm
Location: Near Fort Hood

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#3

Post by AF-Odin » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:26 pm

What is next, re-naming Washington DC and state because George Washington was a slave owner. What about everything else maned for him as well as Thomas Jefferson????? Wasn't Sam Houston also a slave owner? This has got to stop.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC & SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
NRA & TSRA Life Member

User avatar

sbrawley
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 pm
Location: Lubbock

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#4

Post by sbrawley » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:29 pm

Are they going to rename Travis county next? Wasn’t William Travis a slave owner?
You've never met America, and you ought to pray you never do -Charlie Daniels
NRA Life Member


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#5

Post by srothstein » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:38 pm

I saw this article and I am left wondering if there is someone left in Austin who put this in as an attempt to show the rest of them just how ridiculous this whitewashing of history really is. I cannot think, even in Austin, that this is a serious proposal, which left me guessing it was someone who was trying to point out that we are trying to impose today's standards on people who lived in another time. You can even see the mention of society's values being fluid as a warning that this will happen again. There is also the warning of a lack of democratic process in there. Those could be taken as excuses for how the city got into this situation or warnings that it will happen again, no matter who we name the streets/parks/monuments after.
Steve Rothstein

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25187
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#6

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:00 pm

srothstein wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:38 pm
I saw this article and I am left wondering if there is someone left in Austin who put this in as an attempt to show the rest of them just how ridiculous this whitewashing of history really is. I cannot think, even in Austin, that this is a serious proposal, which left me guessing it was someone who was trying to point out that we are trying to impose today's standards on people who lived in another time. You can even see the mention of society's values being fluid as a warning that this will happen again. There is also the warning of a lack of democratic process in there. Those could be taken as excuses for how the city got into this situation or warnings that it will happen again, no matter who we name the streets/parks/monuments after.
I posted this same article on facebook just this morning, and the suggestion to change the city’s name came from within the commission that is tasked with looking into renaming monuments, parks, schools, etc.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 12752
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#7

Post by C-dub » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:34 pm

OneGun wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:27 pm
Slavery was part of our history. It was not a highlight, but it is our history. We own it. Re-writing our history will not fix anything except make Liberals feel good.

Forgetting our history will make us repeat history. Remember the holocaust? It took a world force to stop genocide. So, why does the world tolerate genocide in other parts of the world today?

We should never forget!
We don't even own slavery. On the scale of the history of slavery we, the United States, are only one teeny tiny sliver, compared to the rest of the world and hopefully very near the end of that scale. Comparatively, we were just a blip when we had it and got rid of it in this country. It is still going on in other parts of the world today. However, many would never know this if they only listen to the liberal side.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2593
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#8

Post by Bitter Clinger » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:41 pm

Image
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#9

Post by srothstein » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:00 pm
srothstein wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:38 pm
I saw this article and I am left wondering if there is someone left in Austin who put this in as an attempt to show the rest of them just how ridiculous this whitewashing of history really is. I cannot think, even in Austin, that this is a serious proposal, which left me guessing it was someone who was trying to point out that we are trying to impose today's standards on people who lived in another time. You can even see the mention of society's values being fluid as a warning that this will happen again. There is also the warning of a lack of democratic process in there. Those could be taken as excuses for how the city got into this situation or warnings that it will happen again, no matter who we name the streets/parks/monuments after.
I posted this same article on facebook just this morning, and the suggestion to change the city’s name came from within the commission that is tasked with looking into renaming monuments, parks, schools, etc.
Sorry, TAM. Yes, I was thinking there might actually be one member of the commission in Austin that still had a shred of common sense. That really is hard to imagine knowing Austin as I do, but I thought it might be possible.
Steve Rothstein


dlh
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#10

Post by dlh » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:34 pm

I will guess who is on this commission---leftist professor from University of Texas...community organizer....and retired dem. politician...
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25187
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#11

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:46 pm

srothstein wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:00 pm
srothstein wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:38 pm
I saw this article and I am left wondering if there is someone left in Austin who put this in as an attempt to show the rest of them just how ridiculous this whitewashing of history really is. I cannot think, even in Austin, that this is a serious proposal, which left me guessing it was someone who was trying to point out that we are trying to impose today's standards on people who lived in another time. You can even see the mention of society's values being fluid as a warning that this will happen again. There is also the warning of a lack of democratic process in there. Those could be taken as excuses for how the city got into this situation or warnings that it will happen again, no matter who we name the streets/parks/monuments after.
I posted this same article on facebook just this morning, and the suggestion to change the city’s name came from within the commission that is tasked with looking into renaming monuments, parks, schools, etc.
Sorry, TAM. Yes, I was thinking there might actually be one member of the commission in Austin that still had a shred of common sense. That really is hard to imagine knowing Austin as I do, but I thought it might be possible.
It’s hard to frame the whole thing in terms other than disappointingly stupid, isn’t it?
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


apostate
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#12

Post by apostate » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:37 pm

philip964 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:22 pm
https://www.mystatesman.com/news/local/ ... ogdF6tE4M/

Austin report on Confederate statues raises idea of changing the name of the city to someone who opposed slavery. Maybe a woman or Cesar Chavez.
Why not Stalin?

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4649
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#13

Post by ScottDLS » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:01 am

I recommend “Bob”. I think the Canadians in what used to be Northwest Territories had that as a ballot choice for naming. They ended up going with a First Peoples (I.e.Eskimo”) name...Nanunavik or something... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6500
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#14

Post by Pawpaw » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:29 am

They'll probably vote to rename it "Sacramento".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3381
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: TX: No place but Austin

#15

Post by SewTexas » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:36 am

My husband's suggestion is that they threw the renaming of the city in there so that the rest of the renaming seems "reasonable" in comparison, and they look good when they say "No, we're not renaming our city".
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”