Bullying? Mean? Evil? What?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 1

Bullying? Mean? Evil? What?

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Just browsing through the news today and keep seeing stuff like this. And this isn't from the "Crimes" page or anything like that, it's just there in the general news, from a single news website, without even searching for this kind of stuff:
A Minnesota man was arrested after picking up an 8-year-old boy and throwing him off a water slide platform Tuesday, causing the child to fall more than 30 feet, police said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/02/mi ... e-say.html
A worker at an illegal immigrant holding facility in Arizona was arrested last week for allegedly molesting a 14-year-old girl, police said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/02/ar ... e-say.html
Atlanta Police announced the arrest of a 22-year-old "cat kicker" who they say was captured on video punting an innocent feline outside of a gas station.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/02/ca ... s-say.html
Two Nevada teens have confessed to fatally beating their mother and burying her in a shallow grave because “they couldn’t take her complaining,” according to an arrest report.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/02/te ... -cops.html
A man beat and starved his girlfriend's children, forcing them to eat "parts of a shoe," Missouri police said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/02/mi ... s-say.html

Is there more evil in the world today than there was 50 years ago? Or is there the same amount now as there was back then and we are just more aware of it today because of modern communications?

As an elementary school kid 50-55 years ago, I rode my bicycle over many, many square miles in the city of Dallas, gone for hours at a time. I never saw or heard of any problems or dangers to watch out for, and apparently my parents weren't overly concerned for my safety at that time, either.

So was this meanness less prevalent back then? Or was I putting many gray hairs on my guardian angel's head when I was an 11 year old kid just aimlessly wandering all over town?

And if it was less prevalent back then, what in the heck were they doing right back then to keep it in check that we're getting wrong today that allows that stuff to go on so seemingly out of control?

Or are we in (or near) the "End Times" and it's just going to continue to get worse and worse until the Lord soon returns?

Gunner4640

Re: Bullying? Mean? Evil? What?

Post by Gunner4640 »

The last 3 words cover it
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

50 years ago, people were less likely to say the vile things we read on social media today. People were more respectful and reserved. Social media and the need for constant attention has driven people to do and say horrible things.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I think it's a little bit of all of it. We do have much more news coverage, with 24 hour news networks, social media, surveillance cameras etc.
But I also think their is a more widespread disregard for decency, than there used to be. Whether it's from the breakdown, of the family unit, bad parenting, mental illness, I don't know.
But as a believer, in the Bible, there is an argument, for the end of times, getting nearer, but, I believe it will get worse before it gets better.

I too remember riding my bike miles from home on the South side of Fort Worth, in the 60's and 70's. If there had been, as many stories reported then, that there are now, I'm sure I would have been on a much shorter leash. But I was also taught respect. I would never talk back to an adult, a teacher, or a police officer, when I was a kid. I was taught, not to touch, what did not belong to me, I was more afraid of my mother, than I was any bullies, I may have encountered. Fear of having something on my "permanent record" kept me from straying onto the wrong side of the law.
I don't think that is being taught these days. Parents, don't allow their kids to fail. They take their child's side in any situation, involving authority, whether, it is at school, or in run in's with the law. Their child, is the "victim", rather, than the culprit. Which doesn't teach the child responsibility, or accountability.

My kids knew, that I was on their side, but they also knew, that if they stepped over the line, there would be consequences. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Personally, I believe it's a combination of 2 things that you thought.
You referenced happenings from across the country. It used to be that you only heard about things (good or bad) in your
town/county and sometimes that took hours or even days to reach you.
Over time with techological advances you now hear about happenings worldwide as they happen or within minutes of
them happening. Are there more evil/crazy/stupid people out there ? Yes, yes there are. There are also more good
people as well. I do not believe that the proportion has changed very much if at all.
Part of what used to happen was that bad behavior was actually punished. The touchy/feely stuff that goes on now
doesn't really count as punishment. End Times... I don't think so, but, who knows.

:txflag: :patriot:

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

How often have you heard or read: The end of the world is coming...fill in the date.

I've seen this prediction many, many times.

Then it doesn't end.

I would tender the world will come to an end (at least as we know it) if we get into a big time nuclear bomb/missile exchange.

A nuclear winter would be an end for a lot of us geezers and a large percentage of young people too.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I think that Leviathan covers it. Some folks do the right thing Because it's right. Others do the right thing Because they fear the social consequenes of breaking the law. Swift and terrible punishment keeps those people in line. As we have filled our prisons with drug salesmen and focused more upon rehabilitation than punishment and deterrence, we have failed to punish a lot of terrible people. Those people are making their presence felt.

Allowing rapists and child molesters and murderers to live is a mistake.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

MaduroBU,

I like the way you think.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Those examples in the OP are not bullying. They are assaults and worse!

50 years ago we did not have a constant news cycle. The public was not hypersensitive about things. If there were three rapes, gang shootings, or whatever in the same week in three different areas of the country the country didn’t start screaming that the sky was falling.

We didn’t blame the president for stuff like that back then. We blamed the person(s) that committed the crime.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

There is a certain percentage of the population that is twisted, sick, violent, have no concern for other people, or just scum.

As the national population grows, that percentage gets bigger. That also means that law enforcement is, and will continue to be, a growth industry.

Personally, I would like to see more prisons, as there is a growing subset of the population that, in my view, is beyond rehabilitation.

:rules:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Jusme wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:56 pmI was more afraid of my mother, than I was any bullies, I may have encountered
Absolutely this.

I grew up a free range kid in NYC, but I could not count the number of times my mom knew exactly where I was and what I was doing before I could ride my bike home to tell her about it. "I have eyes in the back of my head", was her claim. :shock:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

ThatGuy,

We're about the same age and I was a true latch-key kid. I got myself ready for school since 5 grade and got myself to school, got home alone, ran around on our bicycles all hours of the evening and as a teen out until even midnight (not on a school day of course). We didn't yell or cuss at people, we respected our elders as well as others yards and property, and we didn't abuse neighborhood animals! Not even that big darn husky that used to chase us on our bikes! We looked out for ourselves and each other and our parents trusted us to do just that. I say "trusted" not ignored or let run amok, there's a big difference. Heck, even as a kid (starting about 10yo) the guns in the house were mine and in my closet as was the ammo!

The world is different now and a lot more dangerous for everyone. We don't have to change our ways or respect and consideration for others, but we do have to be a much more aware of our surroundings now.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Return to “Off-Topic”