Stolen Airplane... just crashed after a joy ride

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Stolen Airplane... just crashed after a joy ride

Post by G26ster »

G.A. Heath wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:05 pm I was wrong when I typed that the aircraft used an internal combustion engine, but going lean can still do damage (it's just almost impossible for it to occur to a significant degree).
Just for accuracy sake, and by no means critisizing, you cannot control the fuel/air mixture, making it lean or rich, on a gas turbine engine. The pilot can't control it and neither can the engine or the airacraft. The starter starts turning the compressor turbine (gas producer), which draws in air to the combustion chamber, initially. Once sufficient air reaches the combustion chamber fuel is introduced to the chamber and the mixture of fuel and air is ignited by igniters. Once the fire starts in the combustion chamber and the rpm reaches a set point, the starter is released and the igniters stop. The combustion is kept going by constant fuel being introduced to the fire. To increase power, the throttle is used it introduce more fuel to the chamber. This makes the power turbine turn faster, which in turn makes the opposing gas producer turbine go faster and pull in more air. There is simply no way to control the "mixture" of fuel and air, or for the engine to be "lean."

I think it's most interesting watching the aerobatic type maneuvers this guy did with no flying experience. :shock:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stolen Airplane... shut down, not crashed.

Post by The Annoyed Man »

G.A. Heath wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:13 am I do know that internal combustion engines do not like to go lean, and considering the aircraft was prop driven you can safely assume it was using internal combustion engines.
The Bombadier Dash 8 Q series of aircraft are turboprop driven, which is to say that they have essentially a jet turbine engine turning a propellor, and have zero pistons. You’ll find that a lot of propellor driven short hop commuter aircraft are turboprops. Per the Turboprop Wikipedia page the motivation for that is:
Modern turboprop airliners operate at nearly the same speed as small regional jet airliners but burn two-thirds of the fuel per passenger.
Edited to add: I see that G26ster beat me to it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”