Atlantic piece: John Correia of Active Self Protection. Loves his HK's.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Atlantic piece: John Correia of Active Self Protection. Loves his HK's.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... se/565739/

The popular Youtuber John Correia, of Active Self Protection, is profiled in detail in the above link.
The link is an article from the September 2018 issue of The Atlantic.

ASP videos are actual videos of DGU's (Defensive Gun Uses) which John shows in real time, then he does
stop video/slo mo analysis of what went right or wrong during the encounter.

Highlights: Correia is 42 years old, an ordained minister, has a well-armed flock in Phoenix, AZ, used to be
a Glock guy, but now is an HK fanboy. His EDC is an HK VP9 (Volks Pistol 9 MM).

When he took the journalist to the range he used an HK P30 SK (subcompact).

He's never seen anyone during a DGU do a reload. He has stopped carrying extra mags or a BUG.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Atlantic piece: John Correia of Active Self Protection. Loves his HK's.

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for posting this article! John Correia is a great guy doing an amazing job with what he does.

This is stuff we all need to know:
In Correia’s most popular video, which is from Venezuela, an armed robber approaches his victim, an off-duty cop, in an ATM line. After dropping his wallet and necklace on the ground, the cop falls back, lets the mugger stoop to pick up the loot, and takes advantage of his distraction to draw a pistol and shoot the criminal four times. There are “some significant lessons here,” Correia says. He approves of the distraction. “This was incredibly wise … Give [the mugger] something else to think about. Don’t just stand there and fight him when he’s strong.” He commends the cop for “concealing his draw.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

He replaced them with a first-aid kit—which he has used twice, once to save a life—and pepper spray, which he has used twice to defend himself against stray dogs.
The more experience I get the more I have lived this wisdom :txflag:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Truly amazing compliment coming from the Atlantic:
In Correia, however, I saw the perfect concealed-weapon carrier: someone who has trained to a high standard, who will avoid confrontation whenever possible, and who is much more eager to save lives with his first-aid training than to take lives with his VP9.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

Paladin wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:57 pm Truly amazing compliment coming from the Atlantic:
In Correia, however, I saw the perfect concealed-weapon carrier: someone who has trained to a high standard, who will avoid confrontation whenever possible, and who is much more eager to save lives with his first-aid training than to take lives with his VP9.
I'm not sure this is as much of a compliment for John as it is an indictment of other concealed carriers. While not all of us would be considered trained to a high level, every LTC that I've met seemed to meet the other criteria - being anxious to save lives rather than to use a firearm against another person. It seems that no opportunity to paint firearm owners as bloodthirsty is missed but perhaps I' m being too sensitive. A more balanced article might have included the concepts that not every defensive gun use, unlike John's videos, results in shots fired and many defensive shootings do not result in death. But those concepts don't fit the narrative.
Last edited by chasfm11 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I have trued to watch ASP but it is hard to wade through the infomercials. I am sure he is a nice guy but his channel involves a lot of copying from other channels. He makes good points but looses his credibility through his exaggeration of what he calls facts. That is my take and maybe I watched the wrong videos, BTW, I have never witnessed a reload while in a defensive situation, but I will admit that I have not been in one that required me to fire my weapon and most people have never witnessed one but we have heard a lot of stories. I do find that people who not in law enforcement or military, tend to forget that their experience was what was told to them and not what was lived by them. That even happens in the LEO and military communities, but they unfortunately have higher odds of living the story.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I'm not giving up my reloads just yet, but have had a lot more use out of my Pepper Spray, First Aid/CPR, and Leatherman Wave

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

It only takes one malfunction that requires a different magazine to end up being the victim. I don’t care how you baby your mags, that’s not a wise strategy.
Odds are neither Correia nor I will ever find ourselves in a shootout, but if I do I want a spare mag.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

bblhd672 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:58 pm It only takes one malfunction that requires a different magazine to end up being the victim. I don’t care how you baby your mags, that’s not a wise strategy.
Odds are neither Correia nor I will ever find ourselves in a shootout, but if I do I want a spare mag.
We all have to make value judgements. We can only take so much with us. Handgun, BUG, spare mags, knife fixed or folder, Pens, Wallet, flashlight. medications, water, Keys Garage remote, Phone, pepper spray... Pockets are only so deep something has gotta be left behind only the ninja mall cops can carry it all everyday..

Sometimes I carry a spare mag, sometimes a BUG, sometimes both. other times it's just my EDC, but we all can't carry everything everyday. Sometimes something has to go.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Liberty wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:44 am
bblhd672 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:58 pm It only takes one malfunction that requires a different magazine to end up being the victim. I don’t care how you baby your mags, that’s not a wise strategy.
We all have to make value judgements. We can only take so much with us. Handgun, BUG, spare mags, knife fixed or folder, Pens, Wallet, flashlight. medications, water, Keys Garage remote, Phone, pepper spray... Pockets are only so deep something has gotta be left behind only the ninja mall cops can carry it all everyday..

Sometimes I carry a spare mag, sometimes a BUG, sometimes both. other times it's just my EDC, but we all can't carry everything everyday. Sometimes something has to go.

:iagree:

Otherwise, "never leave home without it" becomes, never leave home.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

chasfm11 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:57 am
Paladin wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:57 pm Truly amazing compliment coming from the Atlantic:
I'm not sure this is as much of a compliment for John as it is an indictment of other concealed carriers. While not all of us would be considered trained to a high level, every LTC that I've met seemed to meet the other criteria - being anxious to save lives rather than to use a firearm against another person. It seems that no opportunity to paint firearm owners as bloodthirsty is missed but perhaps I' m being too sensitive. A more balanced article might have included the concepts that not every defensive gun use, unlike John's videos, results in shots fired and many defensive shootings result in death. But those concepts don't fit the narrative.
I think that is something the anti-LTC folks need to realize. The truth is most of us want to save lives and are not looking for confrontations. They should also realize that those of us who enjoy shooting as a sport and spend the time and money on training actually have more training and skills that the average cop who qualifies once or twice a year.

Those of us with military backgrounds have even more training. The Army trains with pistols on courses of fire like this:

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

a sabermetrician of violence who, having cataloged the events of each video, can tell you with nerdy accuracy that a third of attacks involve multiple assailants.

So, Correia states that 1/3 of all attacks are multiple BG's, but doesn't carry a backup mag or a BUG?

I'm thrilled for him that he is confident in his 10 + 1 or 15 +1 VP9 to get the defense job done.

As for me, I'll keep 2 or 3 handguns on me plus some extra mags. I'm just funny that way.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “Off-Topic”