Elizabeth Warren: comprehensive gun control bill

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Rafe
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Nobody but Elizabeth Warren

Post by Rafe »

Chemist45 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:52 pm My Visa is through Penn Fed - recommended by the NRA.
I will be contacting them and asking if they are participating in Liz Warren's code.
If yes, I will cancel the card and find a MC.
Switching from VISA to MC may not work. If you read through the second article linked, you'll see that Warren wasn't the one who initially instigated this; it's been in the works for some time (I imagine Warren just wanted some press out of it for her flamin' leftist constituents).

What's more troubling, it's ISO, the International Organization for Standardization (as in ISO 9000, etc.) that maintains those financial codes as a worldwide standard. I have no idea if a credit card issuer or merchant bank can completely opt out of one or more particular codes, but my bet is that an individual institution may be able to choose which of the codes they use, but that the financial networks--e.g., VISA, MasterCard, AMEX, Discover--can't. Since ISO maintains it, it's an auditable standard. The networks probably can't pick and choose because that would mean there wouldn't be a global set of codes: they couldn't exclude codes from the international standard because that would prevent them from processing some transactions...or at the least prevent them from being able to pass the expected coding data back and forth around the world.

Edited to add: Found the actual ISO standard, but the ISO page for it doesn't tell us much, other than that new modification hasn't been published yet: https://www.iso.org/standard/33365.html.

Here's a site with more info: https://classification.codes/classifica ... ustry/mcc/. It explains a little better how the Merchant Classification Codes are used (note the last bullet point):
MCC codes are assigned by the acquirer to merchants using their services according to the guidelines published by the payment card organization they work with. An acquirer (acquiring bank) is a bank (or a financial institution) that processes debit/credit card payment on behalf of the merchant. For example, when a bookstore starts doing business with MasterCard it will be given MCC code 5192. These codes are then used:
  • to determine the interchange fee paid by the issuer (a bank or a financial institution that issued a card) to the acquirer
  • categorizing transactions of the credit card statement
  • to prevent certain types of purchases on some cards (e.g. corporate credit cards may prevent purchases at some types of merchants)
  • in risk assessment of a credit card transactions
  • in credit card reward programs, where the credit card user gets different rewards for spending on certain categories of items
  • (United States only) in payment reporting to IRS under section 6041 or section 6041A of the Internal Revenue Code (Form 1099-MISC).
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 48

Post by philip964 »

https://nypost.com/2022/09/11/visa-join ... reddit.com

Visa joins Mastercard and and Amex in specifically labeling gun store sales.

We don't know about Discover yet.

Thank you Pocahantas!

If the NRA has a credit card sounds like they may need to make some changes.

I suspect cash becomes king now.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

I wonder what sort of panic would set in if people went to these stores and started making a significant number of small purchases on things like paper targets. Would they be concerned to see a large volume of transactions?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Rafe wrote:
Switching from VISA to MC may not work.
You are correct. It won't work. IN fact - MC is even worse:
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022 ... n-control/

So cash it is.

Also Flightmare wrote:
I wonder what sort of panic would set in if people went to these stores and started making a significant number of small purchases on things like paper targets. Would they be concerned to see a large volume of transactions?
Good idea. I'm going to be buying a lot of small items any time I go into a sporting goods store: Targets, lube, cleaner, brushes.
I need them anyway and usually buy a bunch at a time. Now it will be one at a time.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

thats a good idea as well
i need new targets, cleaning supplies as well
i see some new dirty bird zombie targets on the horizon

but wouldnt the government require a warrant to look at individual buying records? If they came to you becasue they had evidence you exercised your rights to buy firearms...wouldn't that evidence be tossed without a warrant?
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

Chemist45 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:14 pm Rafe wrote:
Switching from VISA to MC may not work.
You are correct. It won't work. IN fact - MC is even worse:
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022 ... n-control/

So cash it is.

Also Flightmare wrote:
Good idea. I'm going to be buying a lot of small items any time I go into a sporting goods store: Targets, lube, cleaner, brushes.
I need them anyway and usually buy a bunch at a time. Now it will be one at a time.
Do not do this at a sporting goods store. It may convince them that baseballs or footballs are in hot demand. This is the biggest flaw in their concept - the classification code applies to the business type and not the merchandise you buy. For example, when I look at my USAA checking account on-line, it tells me the payee name and category. H.E.B. comes back as uncategorized while Circle K is groceries. Walmart comes back as general merchandise while Barnes & Noble comes back as hobby. That is all from the debit card.

The Visa credit account has similar results, except it does show H.E.B. as a grocery store. But it shows MyHeritage.com (a genealogy web site) as general merchandise while Ancestry.com shows as just on-line services.

The more I think about it, the more I think my shopping habits will not change. This is basically a useless exercise for the liberals. Maybe I need to start checking with the stores what codes they use first and then decide how to do it. The best defense against data mining like this is deliberate misinformation (darn, do I have to look at Walmart for guns again? I swore I would never do that).
Steve Rothstein

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

powerboatr wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:58 pmwouldn't that evidence be tossed without a warrant?
Not in a banana republic.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... xican.html

Sacheen Littlefeather who declined Marlon Brandon’s Oscar many years ago on national television wearing complete Native American squaw outfit, has no Indian American heritage, beating Elizabeth Warren by at least 10 years.

She is Mexican.

Only the oldest amount this group will remember this shocking live TV event.

Topic author
philip964

Re: Elizabeth Warren: comprehensive gun control bill

Post by philip964 »

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/dem ... nsive-bill

All in one gun control bill.

Steps on all the bases.

Home plate is the license required to buy or own guns or ammunition.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 10

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:55 pm https://www.zerohedge.com/political/dem ... nsive-bill

Steps on all the bases.

I will never understand why leftists don't seem to grasp the concept that gun crimes are almost always committed by people who acquire the gun illegally anyway. So are they stupid or are they actually trying to achieve some other agenda?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:59 pm
philip964 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:55 pm https://www.zerohedge.com/political/dem ... nsive-bill

Steps on all the bases.

I will never understand why leftists don't seem to grasp the concept that gun crimes are almost always committed by people who acquire the gun illegally anyway. So are they stupid or are they actually trying to achieve some other agenda?
All tyrants need the guns before they can launch a full tyranny.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Paladin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:01 pm

Steps on all the bases.

Yeah my view is security is the excuse to take away honest peoples guns. The real reason is tyranny needs an unarmed flock.

Why else would criminals who commit violent acts against innocent people not be locked up forever, instead be let back out almost immediately.

A 17 yo in Houston girl was robbed and murdered on the street near the Galleria as she walked to work to hold down two jobs.

Her assailant was another woman who stabbed her to death. Bets on wether she was on bail or parole.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... dentified/

mayor

Post by mayor »

Steps on all the bases.

Not mutually exclusive.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:53 pm
Paladin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:01 pm

Steps on all the bases.

Yeah my view is security is the excuse to take away honest peoples guns. The real reason is tyranny needs an unarmed flock.

Why else would criminals who commit violent acts against innocent people not be locked up forever, instead be let back out almost immediately.

A 17 yo in Houston girl was robbed and murdered on the street near the Galleria as she walked to work to hold down two jobs.

Her assailant was another woman who stabbed her to death. Bets on wether she was on bail or parole.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... dentified/
You win!
Blossom was charged with aggravated assault in an attack on her ex-boyfriend in 2021 and was out on bond awaiting trial, KTRK said. Court documents say police found a taser, handcuffs, duct tape, and another knife in her bag at the time of the assault.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

mayor wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:22 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:59 pm I will never understand why leftists don't seem to grasp the concept that gun crimes are almost always committed by people who acquire the gun illegally anyway. So are they stupid or are they actually trying to achieve some other agenda?
Not mutually exclusive.
True that.

And, very strangely--I know it's a difficult concept for entitled, "progressive" leftists to grasp--gun crimes always have one thing in common. They are committed by criminals. Not by the other 99.99% of gun owners.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “Off-Topic”