Moving to Texas

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
timdske
Posts in topic: 3

Moving to Texas

Post by timdske »

Hello everyone,
The end of this month I'm moving my family down to the Great State of Texas. You all helped me a few months ago with CCW questions and the answers were great. Now I have an off topic question. It has to do with vehicle inspections. I'm use to emissions testing we do it every 2 years and my car just passed yesterday. Now my wifes car is older. Its a grand caravan with the usual rust areas coming from the Illinois. Now the car is good for emissiins and mechanically its fine. But Will the rust be an issue with it passing the test? Thank you.

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Moving to Texas

Post by Boxerrider »

I doubt you'll have a problem. If you visit the Texas gulf you will see plenty of older vehicles with body panels rusted through.
Here is a link with information about Texas vehicle inspections. https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/

Welcome to Texas!
Jeff

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Sounds like nothing a little duct tape couldn't fix anyways.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

SRO1911 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:20 am Depends on where in Texas. I know some of the more urban counties do emissions as well as safety. Those of us living in the more free portions of this great state dont have to deal with that nonsense.
where I live they literally say "whatcha here for?" I say "Inspection" he says "honk your horn for me" *I honk horn* he says "ok you're good. You can pay at the counter." lol
NRA Member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Grundy1133 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:40 am
SRO1911 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:20 am Depends on where in Texas. I know some of the more urban counties do emissions as well as safety. Those of us living in the more free portions of this great state dont have to deal with that nonsense.
where I live they literally say "whatcha here for?" I say "Inspection" he says "honk your horn for me" *I honk horn* he says "ok you're good. You can pay at the counter." lol
And now, after reading that, are you feeling lucky?
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/gene ... e-overview
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

The Texas vehicle inspection is primarily for safety items. Horn, lights, brakes, etc. I've seen some rather shabby looking vehicles that had their up-to-date registration sticker in the windshield, so they must have passed inspection.

Topic author
timdske

Post by timdske »

Cool, thank you everyone for your help. I feel better about it now. The salt they use on the roads up here just destroys cars.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

Most folks here will have no idea what rust on a car actually is. Pictures would help. It does not happen here. Just saying.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

timdske wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:57 pm Cool, thank you everyone for your help. I feel better about it now. The salt they use on the roads up here just destroys cars.
we use salt for what it's meant for.....cook'n
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
timdske

Post by timdske »

Ed4032 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:17 pm Most folks here will have no idea what rust on a car actually is. Pictures would help. It does not happen here. Just saying.
The scary this is, cars that are only a year old already have rust on them. I wish there was a good alternative to salt. But when you get many feet of snow and below zero temps weeks on out, they have to use something. I can't wait to get out of here.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

timdske wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:03 am
Ed4032 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:17 pm Most folks here will have no idea what rust on a car actually is. Pictures would help. It does not happen here. Just saying.
The scary this is, cars that are only a year old already have rust on them. I wish there was a good alternative to salt. But when you get many feet of snow and below zero temps weeks on out, they have to use something. I can't wait to get out of here.
I moved from Illinois to Texas in April 2016, you and your family will be much happier here. You'll find in most areas auto inspections are much less stringent than what it was like in Illinois.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Welcome! Hope the move goes smoothly and that you have safe travels. I know you'll love being a Texan. Don't fret that you're not native. LOL There were only 10 or 11 Texans at the Alamo. All the rest came from somewhere else. As far away as England and Norway.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Off-Topic”