364 guns stolen in Memphis intercepted on way to Chicago

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

364 guns stolen in Memphis intercepted on way to Chicago

Post by bblhd672 »

https://wreg.com/2018/10/02/sources-350 ... o-chicago/
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Approximately 364 of the guns stolen from an UPS facility in Memphis have been recovered in route to Chicago.

According to a federal criminal complaint, the UPS facility received a shipment from the Ruger factory in North Carolina on September 28. The 16 pallets of firearms were scheduled to leave two days later for Dallas, Texas.

Before they could be shipped, two men entered the Brooks Road facility, loaded three pallets into a U-Haul van and sped away. Authorities said there were roughly 367 guns in those pallets. All of the weapons were either .22 caliber or .380 caliber firearms, authorities said.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 364 guns stolen in Memphis intercepted on way to Chicago

Post by Jusme »

bblhd672 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:40 pm https://wreg.com/2018/10/02/sources-350 ... o-chicago/
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Approximately 364 of the guns stolen from an UPS facility in Memphis have been recovered in route to Chicago.

According to a federal criminal complaint, the UPS facility received a shipment from the Ruger factory in North Carolina on September 28. The 16 pallets of firearms were scheduled to leave two days later for Dallas, Texas.

Before they could be shipped, two men entered the Brooks Road facility, loaded three pallets into a U-Haul van and sped away. Authorities said there were roughly 367 guns in those pallets. All of the weapons were either .22 caliber or .380 caliber firearms, authorities said.
Sounds like an inside job, how did they know those guns were there, on that particular night? Since it was not reported that anything else was taken. I would bet, they got a tip, and maybe a door was left unlocked. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Jusme wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:44 pm
bblhd672 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:40 pm https://wreg.com/2018/10/02/sources-350 ... o-chicago/

Sounds like an inside job, how did they know those guns were there, on that particular night? Since it was not reported that anything else was taken. I would bet, they got a tip, and maybe a door was left unlocked. JMHO
:iagree: That's what I was thinking. I'm sure law enforcement in Memphis as well as UPS management are thinking the same thing.

Initial news story about the robbery:
https://wreg.com/2018/10/01/authorities ... =related_1
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

367 guns stolen
364 guns recovered

99% isn't too shabby
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

That was a lot of risk for $18.5 K or so in street value ...oh wait, thats right criminals in general are stupid
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I assume a stolen .380 could fetch $500 (That's retail for an LCP, I think) from a gangbanger who has no other option. If the .22s fetch half of that and the guns were half of each type, then you're looking at $135k minus expenses.

Not a life changing score, but enough to make an idiot take foolish risks.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I thought street price for a piece was $150? Or were these cheaper because they were all mouse guns?
Definitely sounds like they had inside information.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

MaduroBU wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:46 pm I assume a stolen .380 could fetch $500 (That's retail for an LCP, I think) from a gangbanger who has no other option. If the .22s fetch half of that and the guns were half of each type, then you're looking at $135k minus expenses.

Chicago gangbangers aren't going to pay retail. More likely $50-$100 each. I hope these guys and their accomplices get nice long federal prison terms.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Non-employee thieves backed up a rental truck and stole 3 pallets of guns????

It seems a forklift or pallet jack would be needed.

When I think of a UPS facility, I tend to think of them as 24/7/365 operations.

This theft apparently did not occur at such a site.

By the way, freight trains sit on tracks for long periods of time in Chicago, where another large theft of guns involved Ruger's on their way from New Hampshire to points west of Chicago. This was several years back.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... rain-yard/

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

MaduroBU wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:46 pm I assume a stolen .380 could fetch $500 (That's retail for an LCP, I think) from a gangbanger who has no other option. If the .22s fetch half of that and the guns were half of each type, then you're looking at $135k minus expenses.

There are many reports, stories and articles on street gun prices..prices very from $25 if the seller is just looking for their next $25 rock, to a few $K if it s a fully Auto rifle, clean IE no bodies or other criminal activity linked to it.

Many of the articles I read before positing had a price in the $50 range for a mouse gun..so I used that number.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

E.Marquez wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:42 am

There are many reports, stories and articles on street gun prices..prices very from $25 if the seller is just looking for their next $25 rock, to a few $K if it s a fully Auto rifle, clean IE no bodies or other criminal activity linked to it.

Many of the articles I read before positing had a price in the $50 range for a mouse gun..so I used that number.
I don't doubt what you've said, but that information is startling to me. Why would you deal in contraband when your illegal goods sell for LESS than their legal counterparts? I don't give criminals much credit for accounting skill or brains in general, but man, comparing two numbers is not rocket science.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

MaduroBU wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:36 pm
E.Marquez wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:42 am

I don't doubt what you've said, but that information is startling to me. Why would you deal in contraband when your illegal goods sell for LESS than their legal counterparts? I don't give criminals much credit for accounting skill or brains in general, but man, comparing two numbers is not rocket science.
Stolen goods are never worth anywhere near their usual value because the buyer assumes the risk of being caught with stolen goods. When the goods are firearms, each with it's own unique serial number, the risk goes way up.

For the same reason, the person selling the firearm is anxious to get rid of it and turn it into ready cash. Add into that, often times it was stolen just to get money for that next drug fix.

It's very much a buyer's market.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Off-Topic”