UT: Starbucks clerk relives attack after customer shoots assailant

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Re: UT: Starbucks clerk relives attack after customer shoots assailant

Post by Paladin »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:48 am I agree with pretty much said here and glad a good guy with a gun was able to stop this assault. My question is what was he shot with that he was able to run away from a shot to the chest.
Was wondering that myself!

Most gun shot wounds are survivable {Survival Rates Similar for Gunshot, Stabbing Victims}, and in this case the wound stopped the attack, but the police still had to taser the crazy guy to take him into custody.

Good lesson to everyone that a single pistol wound may or may not stop an attack.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Paladin wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:35 amWas wondering that myself!

Most gun shot wounds are survivable {Survival Rates Similar for Gunshot, Stabbing Victims}, and in this case the wound stopped the attack, but the police still had to taser the crazy guy to take him into custody.

Good lesson to everyone that a single pistol wound may or may not stop an attack.
Also sounded like a single gun shot wound to the chest rather than multiple?

NNT
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NNT »

chasfm11 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:51 am I'm glad this situation worked out. But from a different perspective, it could have gone a different way. The attacker was not armed except for the basket that he picked up. Would that be enough of a potentially deadly weapon in many other circumstances to justify a deadly force response?

The story said that the CHL was in his 60s. I have always hoped that a disparity in age would help if I had to respond to a much younger physical attacker. But I worry about situations where the drug crazed man in Arlington was in a car lot, beating on cars and LE ended up shooting him. The aftermath of that one dragged on. I don't see any way for a normal person, particularly an older one to deal with those under significant influence of drugs or alcohol without some sort of force multiplier. It is fortunate for the defender that this was in UT and not a blue State.
I don’t think any weapon is required in the attackers hand to defend myself or others. People have died from being punched and falling hitting their head. Any fight is a life threatening situation. I have been able to avoid fIst fights my entire adult life. Most are caused by ego. Facing someone who forces a fight, I feel no obligation to go toe to toe bare knuckle if I have something at my disposal that will improve my odds of going home to my family.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paladin »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:21 pm
Paladin wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:35 amWas wondering that myself!

Also sounded like a single gun shot wound to the chest rather than multiple?
Yes.
As he came closer, the customer pulled out a gun and shot the attacker once in the chest, Hansen said. The man then stumbled out of the store.
A single shot ended the attack in this case.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Off-Topic”