TX: 70 yr old Plano vet sentenced to 87 months

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TX: 70 yr old Plano vet sentenced to 87 months

Post by SQLGeek »

rotor wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:03 pm There is more to this story than you think. years-decades-old-rifle-purchase
That is almost always the case and something the Internet Outrage Machine so often ignores.
Psalm 91:2

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

Throw out the drugs and mental instability and just focus on the gun. Not how he got it but just owning the gun.

Yes he broke the law but should it be against the law in the first place?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Well, my problem is this: why not bust him for the ILLEGAL DRUGS? Why not bust him previously for the violent behavior? To me, the mass news media, in their eternal hatred of firearms and the 2nd Amendment, made this guy an internet cause with their manipulation of the facts of the events. They WANTED people to think the only reason he was busted was because he was a "dirty gun owner". The story should have read something along the lines of him being busted for multiple illegal activities, including possession of illegal controlled substances and an un-registered full-auto firearm. If you want to blame someone for making this into something it was not, blame the mass news media.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:28 am Well, my problem is this: why not bust him for the ILLEGAL DRUGS? Why not bust him previously for the violent behavior? To me, the mass news media, in their eternal hatred of firearms and the 2nd Amendment, made this guy an internet cause with their manipulation of the facts of the events. They WANTED people to think the only reason he was busted was because he was a "dirty gun owner". The story should have read something along the lines of him being busted for multiple illegal activities, including possession of illegal controlled substances and an un-registered full-auto firearm. If you want to blame someone for making this into something it was not, blame the mass news media.
Headlines are written so that they attract attention, not necessarily to tell a story.
Agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms also found Pick to be in possession of cocaine and marijuana,
according to his indictment. He pleaded guilty to the charge in April in a deal with federal prosecutors.

In exchange for Pick's guilty plea to the charge for which he was convicted, two other charges were dismissed: possession of
an unregistered firearm and possession of a firearm with an obliterated serial number.

"Obviously, there was a lot more to the sentence that was received — a sentence that Mr. Pick and his lawyer agreed
to — than a single gun with a missing serial number," said Brown, the U.S. attorney. "Although Mr. Pick was a decorated
veteran, he would use that status routinely to try to excuse his repeated criminal behavior. This was also not a mental
health issue. It became a public safety issue."
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/guns/20 ... e-purchase
NRA Endowment Member

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

AndyC wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 am Oh, come on - you think being a vet should give him a pass for having an unregistered select-fire rifle with a defaced serial-number? No sympathy.
:iagree: it was against the law when he bought it and I am pretty sure he knew it as well. Ticking time bomb.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Horrible situation. I signed the petition! On another note millions of arms were made before the 1968 Gun control Act.We
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mrvmax »

AndyC wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 am Oh, come on - you think being a vet should give him a pass for having an unregistered select-fire rifle with a defaced serial-number? No sympathy.
I’m with you, after reading several accounts and parts of the court documents I have a different picture of him. He doesn’t appear to be an unintelligent person so it seems like he either thought he was above being caught or he didn’t care. To have a class 3 firearm with the serial number altered that you showed off to friends almost seemed like he thumbed his nose at the government. I have zero sympathy for him.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I signed the petition.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mrvmax »

More info, I’m not sure why anyone would be signing a petition for this guy. I don’t have proof but someone living in his area said he stole the rifle in question. I don’t care what he did when he was younger, he got much less than he deserved. Ill agree the initial story lacked many details and it was easier to sympathize with him. Now it should be pretty clear that he was not a model citizen.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edtx/pr/pl ... -violation

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

mrvmax wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:20 pm More info, I’m not sure why anyone would be signing a petition for this guy. I don’t have proof but someone living in his area said he stole the rifle in question. I don’t care what he did when he was younger, he got much less than he deserved. Ill agree the initial story lacked many details and it was easier to sympathize with him. Now it should be pretty clear that he was not a model citizen.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edtx/pr/pl ... -violation
That was what happened to me after my initial reaction. I think the guy got off easy considering the laws broken.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

AndyC wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:44 am
jason812 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:34 am Yes he broke the law but should it be against the law in the first place?
No, it shouldn't - but we've all got to abide by it regardless until it's overturned.
DING DING DING!
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “Off-Topic”