TX: 70 yr old Plano vet sentenced to 87 months

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

TX: 70 yr old Plano vet sentenced to 87 months

Post by bblhd672 »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vietnam-wa ... tic-rifle/
A 70-year-old Texas man was sentenced to more than seven years in prison after pleading guilty to buying an automatic rifle in the 1980s, CBS station KTVT reports. Alfred Pick of Plano purchased the M14 rifle at a gun show that was similar to the weapon he had as an Army lieutenant in the Vietnam War.

"This gun was very rare," Pick attorney Ryne Sandel told KTVT. "You see, at that time it was rare to see one, so he instantly, you know, had a connection to it."

The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives raided Pick's house last year on a tip about the weapon, KTVT reports. Two weeks before the raid, his wife of 40 years had died of cancer, according to the station.

Pick and his wife had a gun collection of about 14 weapons, Sandel said. "Many of them were collector's items," he said.
Your "friends" and neighbors will rat you out to the government, so be careful who you share information about your weapons (and emergency preps).
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

chamberc

Re: TX: 70 yr old Plano vet sentenced to 87 months

Post by chamberc »

Also, don't have firearms with Serial numbers filed off.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Petition for President Trump to pardon Vietnam war hero Alfred Pick
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... lfred-pick
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

- WHEN in the '80's?
- was he convicted for buy a firearm, or for not having the tax stamp paperwork? let's be concise here.
- if the wife had cancer, he was probably ratted out by some visiting nurse or disgruntled caregiver, not by friends or neighbors.
- weren't there surplus M14's sold in the '70's that had been welded/milled to be semi-auto only?
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:04 am - WHEN in the '80's?
- was he convicted for buy a firearm, or for not having the tax stamp paperwork? let's be concise here.
- if the wife had cancer, he was probably ratted out by some visiting nurse or disgruntled caregiver, not by friends or neighbors.
- weren't there surplus M14's sold in the '70's that had been welded/milled to be semi-auto only?
Was it ever legal to buy firearms with the serial number filed off?
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Meanwhile, 20 year old, convicted gang members, are routinely turned back out on the streets, after, being caught, with guns. A 70 year old man who has owned the gun for 40 years, and has never harmed, or theatened to harm, anyone, gets 7 years?
Did be violate the law? Sure. But, why not just confiscate the gun, make him pay a fine, and promise to never buy a full auto gun again? What benefit is there in putting him in prison for 7 years?

I signed the petition.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Serial Number - I've seen .22 rifles without one

I too am curious.
What were the charges? - Tax Stamp? - Serial Number? - Something Else?
Why did the feds decide to search his home?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

They should have just put him on probation. The sentence is absolutely absurd for the situation. Then again, most sentences for crimes are ridiculous these days. I am wondering if it is one of the mandatory sentencing guidelines at work again.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I believe serial numbers were not even required on firearms until the 1968 gun act.
USAF 1982-2005

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Petition signed. Let's get the word out.
N5PNZ

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

hillary was allowed to get away with a variety of law breaking because comey said there was no criminal 'intent' - (which has always puzzled me) given if I break the law do I get to do so without penalty because I didn't intend to break the law?...when does ye olde 'ignorance of the law is no excuse' come into play...? Oh right, if you're perceived as American aristocracy...who can do whatever law breaking comes into play...

What's good for her ought to be good for our Plano Vet...

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

That is a real travesty of justice. Confiscate the weapon or make it so that it is only semi-auto and let the guy have probation.

BTW, I'm sure there are many of us that have some OLD firearms with serial numbers. I have one rifle that is over 100 years old and it has a serial number that was put on by the manufacturer.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mrvmax »

Obviously some biased an exaggerated info but there are some more details here. Another version stated it was full auto with the serial number scratched out and he was found with cocaine and marijuana. Not sure how that affects the firearm charges. The more I read about it the less he seems innocent. I find it hard to believe anyone doesn’t know there are rigid laws on full auto firearms and it’s bad to own guns with serial numbers scratched off. I think the sentence could be different though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dfw.cbsloc ... s-ago/amp/

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/guns/20 ... e-purchase

rotor

Post by rotor »

There is more to this story than you think. His daughter turned him in.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/guns/20 ... e-purchase

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Oh Boy! What a mess. After reading that, I find myself thinking he is lucky he only got the sentence he did.

Return to “Off-Topic”