LTC Not Accepted at Polling Location

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LTC Not Accepted at Polling Location

Post by imkopaka »

I used my LTC when I voted. It wouldn't scan and the lady actually commented to her partner "I have not been able to scan ANY LTCs all day!" and they were looking at it and it looks like the barcode on the back is different on the DL and LTC. Like the barcode they are set up to scan doesn't exist on the LTC or something. She still took the LTC as ID, but she had to punch it in because it wouldn't scan.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

Several years back I handed mine to a lady in Arlington TX and she told me it would not be used all the while hanging above her head was a sign
that said it would before I could ask for a judge another lady heard and came over and instructed her how to do it. She just did not know. They will use
it or I will call their hand on it. I have paid dear for that piece of plastic. Just when the DPS decided they needed to check SS# I did not take a card
to show and told her they have had it since 1954 . she saw my Postal Id and reached across the counter snatched it off my shirt because at that
time they used SS#'s for Id. They have since gone to a indirect Number. Common sense some got it and some don't.
I do want to thank polling place workers because the are working for free.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

rotor wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:30 pm As noted, LTC doesn't seem to scan. So you are the reason the line was slower. Just kidding.

Is there some kind of bragging right to using the LTC?
To be honest, I wondered the same thing. Whip out your Tx. DL and move on.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Insisting on being using the LTC/CHL as an ID is a lot like wearing a tiara and CHL sash, punctuated by a badge. It's a right, but why do some folks insist that everyone know that they own some guns, right after you verified your address?

If you have an LTC/CHL you needed a drivers license or ID to get it. What's the big deal?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

03Lightningrocks

Liberty wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:31 am Insisting on being using the LTC/CHL as an ID is a lot like wearing a tiara and CHL sash, punctuated by a badge. It's a right, but why do some folks insist that everyone know that they own some guns, right after you verified your address?

If you have an LTC/CHL you needed a drivers license or ID to get it. What's the big deal?
:iagree:

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Liberty wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:31 am Insisting on being using the LTC/CHL as an ID is a lot like wearing a tiara and CHL sash, punctuated by a badge. It's a right, but why do some folks insist that everyone know that they own some guns, right after you verified your address?

Agreed. Don’t see the point of this thread. Just use your DL.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cyphertext »

Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:20 pm

Agreed. Don’t see the point of this thread. Just use your DL.
:iagree:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jason812 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:09 am Mods, I'm not sure where this belongs. Move as you see fit.

I went to vote this morning at the Flat Community Center in Coryell County. Handed the lady my LTC and it wouldn't scan into the computer. She asked for my driver's license which I responded the LTC is a state ID and approved form of ID. I don't know if she couldn't look up my name and address or what but I just gave her my DL.

Is this a problem with the state computers? Why have LTC listed as an approved method when you walk in the polling place if you cant' use it? I was going to file a complaint but I did not get the lady's name. It appears I'm in Coryell County Precinct 3 but I have no other information that is asked for on the complaint form.

I love my new living location but I liked the paper ballots and printed voter list in Bosque County better.
That’s strange. When I voted last Thursday, I realized when I got to the polling place that I had forgotten my ID (and LTC) at home - one the rare times I’ve actually done that. I realized it while waiting in line. When I got up to the table, I explained that I had my voter registration card, but had forgotten my TDL at home and was going to have to come back with it after my wife finished voting. The lady then asked me if I had an LTC with me, because that would work. I told her I had neither with me, but that I had a picture of my TDL on my phone, and asked if that would work for her. She said yes, and I handed over my phone. They looked me up, using that photo of my TDL and my voter registration card, and I was cleared to vote. But even if I had remembered my wallet, apparently my LTC would have been acceptable as ID. This was at the courthouse on 26 in Hurst.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:45 am Poll workers are people and can simply be mistaken. I bet she just did not know any better.
I served as an election clerk in Denton County on Tuesday. We were required to either attend training in person or take an on-line course which included chapter tests in order to serve. I took the on-line course and it covered (and tested) knowledge of the types of acceptable types of IDs. It is my understanding that not all counties use the same voting methods and that may include voter ID confirmation. Our machines do not scan LTCs either but they won't scan US Passports which can also be accepted. We are to use name lookup to verify the voter registration matches the ID presented and have to handle even small differences in how the name is recorded.

In the last run-off election, we had a number of voters present LTCs and did the manual lookups. I did not have any this cycle.

Not understanding valid ID types is only one of the possible problems which every election worker should be able to handle. The election judge should step in if there is a misunderstanding of voting requirements.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

Undoubtedly I really live in the sticks: paper ballots and no scan thingy.
The voting officials had large paper printouts and looked up my name. Actually put paper ballot in steel lock box.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

03Lightningrocks

chasfm11 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:15 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:45 am Poll workers are people and can simply be mistaken. I bet she just did not know any better.
I served as an election clerk in Denton County on Tuesday. We were required to either attend training in person or take an on-line course which included chapter tests in order to serve.
Times have changed. It has been some 25-30 years since I served as a poll worker for the Ronald Reagan re-election. Heck, I just had to show up and they told me what to do in about ten minutes conversation. LOL. If I remember right the election booths had curtains around them.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

How does one go about serving as an election clerk? Sounds interesting.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ELB

Post by ELB »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:08 am How does one go about serving as an election clerk? Sounds interesting.
Couple ways. You can contact whoever administers elections in your county (either County Clerk or specially hired Elections Adminstrator), or contact your Party’s precinct committeeman or the county Party chairman.

If you google election administration for your county, you’ll probably find a web page for Election Administrator - I believe most Texas counties, at least the bigger ones, have gone to a full-time elections administrator and staff. The roles of election judge and election clerk are still partisan appointments tho.
USAF 1982-2005

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

ELB wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:28 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:08 am How does one go about serving as an election clerk? Sounds interesting.
Couple ways. You can contact whoever administers elections in your county (either County Clerk or specially hired Elections Adminstrator), or contact your Party’s precinct committeeman or the county Party chairman.

If you google election administration for your county, you’ll probably find a web page for Election Administrator - I believe most Texas counties, at least the bigger ones, have gone to a full-time elections administrator and staff. The roles of election judge and election clerk are still partisan appointments tho.
That is true for Denton County as well. I know the election judge from my political activities. She needs to supply workers at the polling place where she is the judge. So she recruited me and another fellow from our local political club. One of the other workers is a precinct leader also. We had an alternate judge from the other party working our location, too. I prefer to have both parties represented so that there is no question about fairness. Everyone sees what is happening. It is a paid position.

TAM, it is a very interesting but a very grueling job. I had a number of situations which I will not detail in a public forum but one of them included getting the police involved. We had an officer stationed all day at our small polling place and I was very glad to have him there. I got to see a very interesting cross section of the population.

One of the interesting things for me was that I had also passed out "get out the vote" door hangers for the election judge. Her precinct is very spread out and it took hours even with my wife driving for me to get to all of the doors on my list. That list of voters was people with a specific party affiliation and who did not vote regularly in every election. I remember some of the addresses very well because they were hard to find. It was a lot of fun to check in voters and see those same addresses show up. I'd like to believe that I had a small part in encouraging them to get to the polls. It was some feeling of satisfaction after my having to do the door hanger distribution in the rain for part of the time.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LucasMcCain »

I use my LTC as ID pretty much any time I can. It's good to let people know that the friendly, polite, normal person they are talking to is a progun person. The only way we can make good impressions for the progun community and try to challenge the narrative being pushed by the leftists is if people know who we are. Using your LTC for ID is a simple, common, non-confrontational way to do this.

This idea that "anyone who draws any attention to the fact that they carry a gun is just out for attention" is small-minded, and perpetuating it is damaging to our cause. If you don't feel comfortable with people knowing you carry, that's fine. You do you. However, shaming people for making a different decision because they actually care enough to put themselves out there a little to try to help the cause is wrong. They're doing what you won't to try to change hearts and minds and affect public perception.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Return to “Off-Topic”